The latest trend?

The latest trend?

This is a discussion on The latest trend? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw this and really did not know what to say. This is a brand new receiver that was aged to look used and worn. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: The latest trend?

VIP Member

The latest trend?

I saw this and really did not know what to say.

This is a brand new receiver that was aged to look used and worn. Why not just shoot it? It takes time and money to get the worn look before a class. You can get the OPERATOR look in a few minutes, impress your friends, get your war stories together guys.

battle worn.jpg
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Wow. That's really stupid.

I was going to use a different word but didn't want a penalty. It's a synonym of happy.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 2nd, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'd give you $5 for that.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Why would ANYONE ever want to make a nice firearm look abused? That is like people "distressing" clothes to make them look worn.

Distinguished Member
    Congratulations, my wife and friends would be impressed and almost unable to believe you could put something up that leaves me speechless. No further comment possible.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Who offers that crap? The kids on arfcom will lose it over that. It'll go great with their SOPMOD clone rifles with fake suppressors and ATPIALs.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    This is his description as to what he did:

I took a whole 3oz bottle of aluma-black and dumped it and the upper/lower in a gallon zip-lock bag. I shook it like a shake and bake for 5 min and took them out. Washed in hot water and soap till clean. I then tumbled them in a crushed walnut media in my brass tumbler for 4 hours. Then took it out and smoothed everything up with a green dishwashing brillo pad.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Both the receiver and, as you suggest, the likely reason behind it's uglification are downright embarrassing.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I wanted to comment....but.....wow
    All I can muster up is that someone needs slapped upside the head
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I have never been "Trendy"
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

TRX
    After that, the pink anodized "Hello Kitty" version looks downright sensible...

Distinguished Member
    WHY!!!!!!

If he didn't want it to look the way it should he could have just given it to me and found an old beat up one.
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.

I hate to break it to anyone who wants to "look experienced", and shows up at class with something like that monstrosity....you are going to have just the opposite reaction of what you wished.

But dont let that stop you. I could use a good laugh.

He's going to look real stupid if his skill level doesn't match up to his " much used and abused " looking gun.
    Or when the guy with the pristine Colt cleans his clock.
    atctimmy, OldVet, 64zebra and 9 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Is this like a "Hipster Mall Ninja" trend? Anyone who has to make their gun look worn so they look like they have experience behind the trigger probably doesn't know how to load it, let alone use it....
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links