AK optics mounting?

AK optics mounting?

This is a discussion on AK optics mounting? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the process of acquiring a 7.62 saiga for a AK conversion and am having a hard time deciding where I would want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AK optics mounting?

AK optics mounting?

I'm in the process of acquiring a 7.62 saiga for a AK conversion and am having a hard time deciding where I would want to mount the optic (and which optic).
    It would be a red dot style or no magnification. I would prefer the a rear/mid rifle optic but wanted to know the Pros and cons of mounting in rear or fore end. Could any AK owners chime in with your experience? Thanks

JB
    ruger91

NRA member

No one has any experience with this?
    ruger91

NRA member

Well you have to have the rail attachment feature on the left side of your AK. AKM-47 variants almost all have these...

My Yugo NPAP has one. If your kit has it you can buy a rail adapter on amazon like this one...

This effectively gives you a picatinny rail atop your AK for mounting red dots or scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like an Aimpoint on an Ultimak. A T-1 in an ARMS 31 gives a lower third co-witness. This is a forward (scout) mount, which means you see less through the sight, but the sight also blocks less of your view and you can ignore the dot for close targets.

John W in SC
    ruger91 and hkusp9f like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John_W_in_SC View Post
    I like an Aimpoint on an Ultimak. A T-1 in an ARMS 31 gives a lower third co-witness. This is a forward (scout) mount, which means you see less through the sight, but the sight also blocks less of your view and you can ignore the dot for close targets.

John W in SC
    I was looking at the Ultimak scout mount and considering a Aim Point T1, I wanted to be able to co witness with the irons. Thanks for the reply, I was just trying to get an idea of what seems to be the preferred mount location.
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    I was looking at the Ultimak scout mount and considering a Aim Point T1, I wanted to be able to co witness with the irons. Thanks for the reply, I was just trying to get an idea of what seems to be the preferred mount location.
    The ARMS 31 will co-witness the T-1 in the lower third. Its also a quick detach, for times you can't see through the optic because of snow, mud, damage or whatever. I prefer both co-witness and quick detach. Then again, I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy.

Another nice feature with the Aimpoint Micro series is very long battery life.

John W in SC
    ruger91 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I have the cover that has a rail on it and have a red dot on it. Very functional and cover still fits like the original

This is the standard way
    AKM10.JPG
    ruger91 likes this.

I use the Ultimak on my SA85 with a Primary Arms micro dot on it. Work's fine and it does co-witness the front sight quite well but if you try to align the rear sight with the front through the optic, it just barely makes it (your irons will be in the very bottom of the optic).

I actual would prefer to mount my optic above the receiver but my rifle doesn't have a side mount and I'm frankly to lazy to have one installed. I have been thinking about the TWS railed top cover though. It seems to get good reviews.

Here's another mounting option: Scout Scopes Scope Mounts For AK SKS VZ58 CZ58 Rifle

This retains zero, doesn't interfere with the cover (or lose zero), and does not require the side rail mods.

It's just another option.

Lead Moderator
    This looks nice, not sure the price.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ultimak, ARMS 31, and a T-1/H-1 is the way to go.

Russian Duk Tape?
    ruger91 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Ultimak rail with whatever your chosen optic is.
    ruger91 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I used the Texas Weapons System dog leg scope rail. It works great...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links