Swiveless sling suggestions

This is a discussion on Swiveless sling suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Savage model 64F that I use for a vehicle long gun, kind of a "get home" rifle. Anyway, I want a sling ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Swiveless sling suggestions

I have a Savage model 64F that I use for a vehicle long gun, kind of a "get home" rifle. Anyway, I want a sling for it but it has a synthetic stock and I really don't want to drill it for swivels. I was thinking a sling that doesn't require swivels is the way to go.

Savage Arms

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Is there a particular style of sling you are looking at? 1, 2, or 3 pt?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    You could try one of those waterfowler's shotgun slings - loops over the barrel and loops over the stock - but that's only for carrying the gun, definitely not an aid to shooting.

Sample here (but simpler web ones are available, somewhere) for illustration: Quake Claw Shotgun Sling System : Cabela's
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Is there a particular style of sling you are looking at? 1, 2, or 3 pt?
    Any would be OK but I'm not thinking anything tactical. Just something to help carry the rifle for long hours of hiking.

I saw one of these in the package the other day but I swear I could not tell if it would work. But I don't think it will. Anyone have any idea if this would work?

Bulldog 3 Point Tactical Quick Release Sling BD825 BD825. Bulldog Cases Gun Slings.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    I don't see any advantage to 3-point slings over 2-point... and I can't see how this sling attaches.

I know you don't want to drill your stock for mounting studs, but that's the route I'd take. Less likely to mess up or crack a synthetic stock than a wood one.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    I used something like this on a cowboy coach gun:

I ran across these too. They offer some protection too. I have no idea about quality:

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    R&G I use something similar on the Winchesters I want to hunt with but would rather drill a hole in my hand than drill on them. Mine are bigger with a thin cheek rest pad that I've found works nicely. I have one with cartridge loops in a drawer. I found that I noticed the extra weight and it unbalanced things. I didn't like it.

Come'on TN Mike! It's plastic! You're not going to hurt it by drilling a hole, and putting some good swivel fittings in. It honestly doesn't feel right for me shooting a rifle without a sling unless it's a bench-rest rifle. I'm so used to shooting from sling support it feels wrong.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't see any advantage to 3-point slings over 2-point... and I can't see how this sling attaches.

I know you don't want to drill your stock for mounting studs, but that's the route I'd take. Less likely to mess up or crack a synthetic stock than a wood one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    R&G I use something similar on the Winchesters I want to hunt with but would rather drill a hole in my hand than drill on them. Mine are bigger with a thin cheek rest pad that I've found works nicely. I have one with cartridge loops in a drawer. I found that I noticed the extra weight and it unbalanced things. I didn't like it.

Come'on TN Mike! It's plastic! You're not going to hurt it by drilling a hole, and putting some good swivel fittings in. It honestly doesn't feel right for me shooting a rifle without a sling unless it's a bench-rest rifle. I'm so used to shooting from sling support it feels wrong.
    Yep, you both are right. I'm just going to drill it and put in swivels. Thanks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links