Swiveless sling suggestions

Swiveless sling suggestions

This is a discussion on Swiveless sling suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Savage model 64F that I use for a vehicle long gun, kind of a "get home" rifle. Anyway, I want a sling ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Swiveless sling suggestions

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,462

    Swiveless sling suggestions

    I have a Savage model 64F that I use for a vehicle long gun, kind of a "get home" rifle. Anyway, I want a sling for it but it has a synthetic stock and I really don't want to drill it for swivels. I was thinking a sling that doesn't require swivels is the way to go.

    Savage Arms

    Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  2. #2
    Senior Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,976
    Is there a particular style of sling you are looking at? 1, 2, or 3 pt?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  3. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    14,575
    You could try one of those waterfowler's shotgun slings - loops over the barrel and loops over the stock - but that's only for carrying the gun, definitely not an aid to shooting.

    Sample here (but simpler web ones are available, somewhere) for illustration: Quake Claw Shotgun Sling System : Cabela's
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,462
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Is there a particular style of sling you are looking at? 1, 2, or 3 pt?
    Any would be OK but I'm not thinking anything tactical. Just something to help carry the rifle for long hours of hiking.

    I saw one of these in the package the other day but I swear I could not tell if it would work. But I don't think it will. Anyone have any idea if this would work?

    Bulldog 3 Point Tactical Quick Release Sling BD825 BD825. Bulldog Cases Gun Slings.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  5. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    14,575
    I don't see any advantage to 3-point slings over 2-point... and I can't see how this sling attaches.

    I know you don't want to drill your stock for mounting studs, but that's the route I'd take. Less likely to mess up or crack a synthetic stock than a wood one.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  6. #6
    Senior Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    404 Page Not Found
    Posts
    17,047
    I used something like this on a cowboy coach gun:






    I ran across these too. They offer some protection too. I have no idea about quality:

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here



    "A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array Jaeger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Posts
    4,993
    R&G I use something similar on the Winchesters I want to hunt with but would rather drill a hole in my hand than drill on them. Mine are bigger with a thin cheek rest pad that I've found works nicely. I have one with cartridge loops in a drawer. I found that I noticed the extra weight and it unbalanced things. I didn't like it.

    Come'on TN Mike! It's plastic! You're not going to hurt it by drilling a hole, and putting some good swivel fittings in. It honestly doesn't feel right for me shooting a rifle without a sling unless it's a bench-rest rifle. I'm so used to shooting from sling support it feels wrong.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,462
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't see any advantage to 3-point slings over 2-point... and I can't see how this sling attaches.

    I know you don't want to drill your stock for mounting studs, but that's the route I'd take. Less likely to mess up or crack a synthetic stock than a wood one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    R&G I use something similar on the Winchesters I want to hunt with but would rather drill a hole in my hand than drill on them. Mine are bigger with a thin cheek rest pad that I've found works nicely. I have one with cartridge loops in a drawer. I found that I noticed the extra weight and it unbalanced things. I didn't like it.

    Come'on TN Mike! It's plastic! You're not going to hurt it by drilling a hole, and putting some good swivel fittings in. It honestly doesn't feel right for me shooting a rifle without a sling unless it's a bench-rest rifle. I'm so used to shooting from sling support it feels wrong.
    Yep, you both are right. I'm just going to drill it and put in swivels. Thanks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

coach gun sling
,
custom swiveless rifle slings
,
how to install bulldog 3 point sling
,
leather shotgun slings
,
no drill rifle sling
,
no swivel rifle sling
,
sling for swiveless rifle
,

swiveless gun sling

,

swiveless rifle sling

,

swiveless shotgun sling

,
swiveless sling
,
swivleless gun sling
Click on a term to search for related topics.