Swiveless sling suggestions

This is a discussion on Swiveless sling suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Savage model 64F that I use for a vehicle long gun, kind of a "get home" rifle. Anyway, I want a sling ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Swiveless sling suggestions

I have a Savage model 64F that I use for a vehicle long gun, kind of a "get home" rifle. Anyway, I want a sling for it but it has a synthetic stock and I really don't want to drill it for swivels. I was thinking a sling that doesn't require swivels is the way to go.

Savage Arms

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Is there a particular style of sling you are looking at? 1, 2, or 3 pt?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    You could try one of those waterfowler's shotgun slings - loops over the barrel and loops over the stock - but that's only for carrying the gun, definitely not an aid to shooting.

Sample here (but simpler web ones are available, somewhere) for illustration: Quake Claw Shotgun Sling System : Cabela's
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Is there a particular style of sling you are looking at? 1, 2, or 3 pt?
    Any would be OK but I'm not thinking anything tactical. Just something to help carry the rifle for long hours of hiking.

I saw one of these in the package the other day but I swear I could not tell if it would work. But I don't think it will. Anyone have any idea if this would work?

Bulldog 3 Point Tactical Quick Release Sling BD825 BD825. Bulldog Cases Gun Slings.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    I don't see any advantage to 3-point slings over 2-point... and I can't see how this sling attaches.

I know you don't want to drill your stock for mounting studs, but that's the route I'd take. Less likely to mess up or crack a synthetic stock than a wood one.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    I used something like this on a cowboy coach gun:

I ran across these too. They offer some protection too. I have no idea about quality:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    R&G I use something similar on the Winchesters I want to hunt with but would rather drill a hole in my hand than drill on them. Mine are bigger with a thin cheek rest pad that I've found works nicely. I have one with cartridge loops in a drawer. I found that I noticed the extra weight and it unbalanced things. I didn't like it.

Come'on TN Mike! It's plastic! You're not going to hurt it by drilling a hole, and putting some good swivel fittings in. It honestly doesn't feel right for me shooting a rifle without a sling unless it's a bench-rest rifle. I'm so used to shooting from sling support it feels wrong.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't see any advantage to 3-point slings over 2-point... and I can't see how this sling attaches.

I know you don't want to drill your stock for mounting studs, but that's the route I'd take. Less likely to mess up or crack a synthetic stock than a wood one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    R&G I use something similar on the Winchesters I want to hunt with but would rather drill a hole in my hand than drill on them. Mine are bigger with a thin cheek rest pad that I've found works nicely. I have one with cartridge loops in a drawer. I found that I noticed the extra weight and it unbalanced things. I didn't like it.

Come'on TN Mike! It's plastic! You're not going to hurt it by drilling a hole, and putting some good swivel fittings in. It honestly doesn't feel right for me shooting a rifle without a sling unless it's a bench-rest rifle. I'm so used to shooting from sling support it feels wrong.
    Yep, you both are right. I'm just going to drill it and put in swivels. Thanks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links