My M1A... New sight

This is a discussion on My M1A... New sight within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A while back I was looking for an extended eye relief scope for my Scout Squad. I ended up getting the Burris Scout Scope 2-7, ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By PAcanis

Thread: My M1A... New sight

My M1A... New sight

A while back I was looking for an extended eye relief scope for my Scout Squad. I ended up getting the Burris Scout Scope 2-7, but it never grew on me. I like to get my eye "right up there" and the eye relief range started a couple inches longer than I liked. So I bought a reflex red dot, the Burris Fastfire 3, with a 3 MOA. I like it. It weighs nothing, has an automatic adjustment for brightness, came with an adjustment screwdriver (nice touch) and a protective see through hood (not in the picture).
    The sun was shining, the wind was calm and after looking at others' targets and M1A's here I figured a little ballistic therapy was in order. Plus I don't like having a rifle laying around that isn't sighted in.
    A couple pics and my target. The last ten shots were at 100 with the front rested. I'm sure with a real set of bags and taking my time I could tighten up that group, but I can live with this. I wasn't any more accurate when I was using the scope.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

MJK
    Nice setup! Looks like you'll have some fun!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

A nice 10-shot effort with a real battle rifle. Lookin' good from here!

Well ... except for that annoying-looking white stuff in the background.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Good looking rifle! Nice group too!

Did it improve the accuracy over the stock sight? I have the loaded model and love the peep, but it is rough in low light situations. Not planning on low light shooting, but something I did notice.

That shooting is battle worthy and should serve you fine if ever needed.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks guys.

BigJon, my grouping size was about the same with irons, a little larger, but not so many clustered. More of a 4" pattern. Of course the actual target has everything to do with that though. These were 8" targets and the 3 MOA red dot centered nicely. With the irons I was shooting at 6" targets cutting them in half with the front sight. Slightly different focus and concentration.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Very nice rifle and setup sir...

rick

VIP Member
    Nice rifle and set up, just how did you mount it? Did you have to cut out the upper handguard and how does the mount attach?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks guys.

Msgt, the Springfield Armory Scout Squad comes with a short picatinny rail on the barrel right from the factory.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Thanks guys.

Msgt, the Springfield Armory Scout Squad comes with a short picatinny rail on the barrel right from the factory.
    Thanks, I have the stainless version and it does not have the rail.

M_1A.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links