Varminter/long range build

This is a discussion on Varminter/long range build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm about to begin on my second build. It's based on a 20 inch barrel, 1 in 9 twist chambered in .223/5.56 I'm building ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Varminter/long range build

So I'm about to begin on my second build. It's based on a 20 inch barrel, 1 in 9 twist chambered in .223/5.56

I'm building it as a varminter/target rifle. It's just a fun range gun so the emphasis is on fun, long range accuracy and magnified scope shooting.

My parts...

Del-ton's 20 inch rifle kit. They ran out of A2 stocks so they upgraded me to the Magpul fixed stock for free. It comes with everything but the lower receiver...

It's a nice kit with chrome lined BCG (gas key properly staked) and charging handle.

I chose a spikes tactical lower purchased at one of my LGS's. Put on a Magpul trigger guard on it right off the bat.

I'll be changing out the hand guard for a free float knurled version and a low profile gas block. Also throwing in an Ergo grip and a bipod...

I have an old 4x Trueglo rifle scope that I'll be slapping on it. If it runs well, a Geiselle trigger and Nikon scope will follow.

It should be a fun weekend of building. Pictures during the process and when finished will be due up soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    FWIW, if I were building a varmint AR (again), I'd lose the 20" barrel and just stick with a good 16"; lighter weight and no loss in accuracy. Just my $.02.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Lead Moderator
    Why did you go with a 1/9 fixed front sight profile? While a scope will still work it seems a clean front end might have been a better choice. Also a 1/9 will not always stabilize heavier bullets .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For some weird reason I like the look of this for the yot rifles SP1-01.JPG very light weight works best with 55 grain though ..Just easy gun to carry for a 20incher

Course I still like were your going .... And nice magpul stock ... You thinking 223 for now or moving on to other cailbers ... I like this idea 630x421xP1280410-900x601.jpg
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Why did you go with a 1/9 fixed front sight profile? While a scope will still work it seems a clean front end might have been a better choice. Also a 1/9 will not always stabilize heavier bullets .
    Yeah, I wasn't going to even go there, but I'd agree. The fixed front is just in the way if you're gonna scope it, and if it's going to be a varmint gun, you're gonna scope it... My hunting AR is a 1/7, which I much prefer because I get great accuracy out of the 70 gr. variety, but as long as he's not planning on anything large the bullet weight won't be much of an issue. The 50 and 55 gr. VMax does a number on most furbearers (although I wouldn't recommend it for mountain lion or black bear) so if he keeps it to smaller game that part should be OK. However, unless he's got one of the 1/9 barrels that just happens to like the heavier bullets, then 'long range accuracy' shooting is probably out unless you want to consider 200 yards 'long range' or minute of torso 'accurate'.

IMO, I'd reconsider your upper selection. If you're looking for an accurate, distance rifle, you probably want to start out a little differently.

EDIT: Um well, reading is fundamental.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

LOL I did mention that I'm yanking the hand guard and front sight and installing a low profile gas block and free float handle

I did hit a snag. The darn guys at Del-ton must've applied locktite or something to the barrel nut. I've been trying the last 30 mins to get that barrel nut off (and yes I have a barrel nut wrench and cheater bar) but it's destroying the splines on the barrel nut. Grrrrr.

So I'm returning my AXC el cheapo rail and upgrading to a Troy TRX Alpha rail. At least that will just slip over my current barrel nut.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    LOL I did mention that I'm yanking the hand guard and front sight and installing a low profile gas block and free float handle

I did hit a snag. The darn guys at Del-ton must've applied locktite or something to the barrel nut. I've been trying the last 30 mins to get that barrel nut off (and yes I have a barrel nut wrench and cheater bar) but it's destroying the splines on the barrel nut. Grrrrr.

So I'm returning my AXC el cheapo rail and upgrading to a Troy TRX Alpha rail. At least that will just slip over my current barrel nut.
    Heat can help ....
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post

So you did, my bad. I guess I expected you would just order a barrel and put it all together rather than take down and replace. Good luck with the barrel nut.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yes, heat it up until you see smoke from the loctite burning off.

Looking forward to seeing your groups. My buddy has a 20" barreled AR and I can shoot quarter sized groups without really trying.

What do you consider to be long range?

fltsfshr
    I collect all forms of disguised firearms. jewelry guns, wallet guns, and others. Most of my collection is pinfire from the 19th century. Have one and want to sell it, let me know.

Thanks for the heat advice. I'll try that!

Long range is only 200 yards around here. Public ranges. That's good enough for a fun gun.

DontTreadOnI likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    So you did, my bad. I guess I expected you would just order a barrel and put it all together rather than take down and replace. Good luck with the barrel nut.
    The kit was a cheaper route. Just buying the two stripped receivers, barrel and the BCG would've put me close to the price of the kit. The kit route was like getting the gas block, gas tube, charging handle, upk, lpk and stock for free.

What is the chamber spec? Chrome lined or not? What accuracy are you looking for? What ammo are you planning on using?

The DTI barrels are not renowned for their accuracy.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

It's chrome lined. It's spec'ed as 5.56 NATO. I'll be shooting mainly 55 or 62gr. Maybe some cheap Russian stuff too. If the rifle proves good, I'll be adding 5.56 to the list of rounds I reload (currently I only handload .300 blackout, .380 and .45 ACP)

I'm hoping for 1 or sub MOA. I'm not holding my breath but hoping nonetheless!

No dice with the heat. Used a butane torch. Heated it and tried to cheater bar it at least five times with more heat each time. No luck. That barrel but might as well be welded on!

So I give up. The Troy TRX alpha rail will come to the rescue.

I'm a bit ticked with Del-ton for hiring King Kong to do their barrel nut installs. This is a case where building your upper from scratch may be better than buying a complete one. I would never gorilla torque a barrel nut on like that. Do they not understand what 30-80 ft lb means?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links