Vortex Diamondback vs Nikon Prostaff vs Redfield???

This is a discussion on Vortex Diamondback vs Nikon Prostaff vs Redfield??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a scope for my .270. Will be used for deer and hog. No one around me carries vortex and the nikons and redfields ...

Thread: Vortex Diamondback vs Nikon Prostaff vs Redfield???

Looking for a scope for my .270. Will be used for deer and hog. No one around me carries vortex and the nikons and redfields I looked at were pretty close as far as clarity,etc. Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by klx9mm View Post
    Looking for a scope for my .270. Will be used for deer and hog. No one around me carries vortex and the nikons and redfields I looked at were pretty close as far as clarity,etc. Thanks.
    Personally, I'm a BIG fan of the Nikon ProStaff line.

Before I bought my first hunting rifle scope, I did a whole lot of research, and it convinced me that you can't touch a better scope for twice the price. I've been using them now for several years, and I still believe it.

I have a 3-9x50 on my .30-30 for hogs, a 3-9x40 on my FNAR, and a P-223 on my 6920.

YMMV
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Nikon makes an excellent product. Redfield is owned/made by Leupold and are known to be a good value. Who the heck is vortex? They have been around a very short time while the other two names are proven contenders (Nikon/Leupold) in the US market.

I prefer the Nikon but if the options or prices were better with the Redfield scope then I'd buy it.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 10th, 2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: ninjas
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I've had a handful of Nikons over the years. Stellar clarity, overall.

I've had one Vortex scope, a Crossfire 6-24x50. Used for benchrest-style range shooting only. Not anywhere near as clear. But then, the Crossfire line isn't the Diamondback line, so I can't speak to the comparative clarity between the two.

Personally, in an equivalent 3-12x50 scope, say, I'd pick a Nikon or Leupold every time. Certainly better clarity (at least, as compared to the Crossfire line). Better build quality, I feel.

Can't speak to the pricier lines offered by Vortex. Haven't seen them or toyed with them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links