Vortex Diamondback vs Nikon Prostaff vs Redfield???

This is a discussion on Vortex Diamondback vs Nikon Prostaff vs Redfield??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a scope for my .270. Will be used for deer and hog. No one around me carries vortex and the nikons and redfields ...

Thread: Vortex Diamondback vs Nikon Prostaff vs Redfield???

Looking for a scope for my .270. Will be used for deer and hog. No one around me carries vortex and the nikons and redfields I looked at were pretty close as far as clarity,etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by klx9mm View Post
    Looking for a scope for my .270. Will be used for deer and hog. No one around me carries vortex and the nikons and redfields I looked at were pretty close as far as clarity,etc. Thanks.
    Personally, I'm a BIG fan of the Nikon ProStaff line.

Before I bought my first hunting rifle scope, I did a whole lot of research, and it convinced me that you can't touch a better scope for twice the price. I've been using them now for several years, and I still believe it.

I have a 3-9x50 on my .30-30 for hogs, a 3-9x40 on my FNAR, and a P-223 on my 6920.

YMMV
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Nikon makes an excellent product. Redfield is owned/made by Leupold and are known to be a good value. Who the heck is vortex? They have been around a very short time while the other two names are proven contenders (Nikon/Leupold) in the US market.

I prefer the Nikon but if the options or prices were better with the Redfield scope then I'd buy it.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 10th, 2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: ninjas
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I've had a handful of Nikons over the years. Stellar clarity, overall.

I've had one Vortex scope, a Crossfire 6-24x50. Used for benchrest-style range shooting only. Not anywhere near as clear. But then, the Crossfire line isn't the Diamondback line, so I can't speak to the comparative clarity between the two.

Personally, in an equivalent 3-12x50 scope, say, I'd pick a Nikon or Leupold every time. Certainly better clarity (at least, as compared to the Crossfire line). Better build quality, I feel.

Can't speak to the pricier lines offered by Vortex. Haven't seen them or toyed with them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links