Magpul CTR vs B5 Sopmod on new BCM

This is a discussion on Magpul CTR vs B5 Sopmod on new BCM within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got my BCM lower and am getting ready to order my upper this week. It will be BCM 14.5 middy, most likely with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Magpul CTR vs B5 Sopmod on new BCM

I just got my BCM lower and am getting ready to order my upper this week. It will be BCM 14.5 middy, most likely with the key mod rail or possibly the Geisselle rail. I am stuck on what to do about stock however. I have done my research and am now just looking for opinions. I am trying to decide between the CTR and the B5 Sopmod. I like the cheek weld on the B5 (I had a VLTOR Imod previously) but I know the CTR locks up tighter than 4 fat chicks in a hot tub. Anyone have experience with the B5 lockup? Anything else I should take into consideration?

My wife and I both have B5's on our rifles if that says anything. We love them.

The B5 Bravo posted above is a good in between stock. More compact that the SOPMOD and a little more cheek weld than the CTR.

I've been using the CTR, LMT SOPMOD and the second run of the B5 SOPMOD since it was released. I use the CTR more regardless of the rifle, though I might pick up another Vltor iMod if I don't go with the Bravo. I just like the way the iMod works for me.

Just between the the SOPMOD and CTR though, I might slightly lean to the SOPMOD.
    slidewayz240 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I am no fan of the SOPMOD..... too much for me. While cheek weld is good, the CTR provides all I need....guess I got big cheeks or something :-)

I run with the CTR on all of my collapsibles and the cheek weld is the same as if I were using an A2 (which I do on several of my rifles). Provides me consistency of feel throughout my weapons....That is important to me as there is little or no transition on "muscle memory"...though I admit that is much less important for a rifle than it is a shotgun.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Here is a pic of Lil Sister. My BCM BFH 14.5" middy. I have a CTR on it and love it. The b5 is great but this I my preference. Also I recommend the KMR rail is you're still debating on that or the Gieselle railImageUploadedByTapatalk1394477889.096886.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394477908.785363.jpg

-BTO-
    -BTO-

CTR is too light for me. I like stocks like the SOPMOD that offer a nice cheekweld but also provide some weight aft and help with balance.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

One of the main reasons I've been looking at the SOPMOD is to be able balance it out if needed. I think I'll be getting whatever I can find in stock from a reputable dealer. Off topic, any used the BCM comp vs the battlecomp? I know the comp is no magic trick but I figure if they will pin and weld it for free might as well have it done. Funky what do you like about the keymod? Jon, do you think the keymod is just a fad?

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    CTR is too light for me. I like stocks like the SOPMOD that offer a nice cheekweld but also provide some weight aft and help with balance.
    The CTR is about 1 ounce lighter than the SOPMOD. I'm shocked your rifle hasn't floated away yet!!
    Skygod likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I'm a CTR guy…..Sorry Jon and Munch…CTR just doesn't run into things.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Just to share an alternative...

Quote Originally Posted by Dabster View Post
    I've had an STR on a pinned 14.5 midlength carbine for about two years. The STR is the main reason I put this thing together. It makes shouldering and getting on target fast, extremely easy. Another benefit, when locked it is completely solid, without movement. Final bonus benefit, your beard won't get caught in it.

Only three reasons not to buy one:
    1. It's not light weight.
    2. It's not cheap.
    3. All the idiots will call you a Magpul fan boy.

ETA: Pics of the precious...

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The CTR is about 1 ounce lighter than the SOPMOD. I'm shocked your rifle hasn't floated away yet!!
    The SOPMOD is 43% heavier.

SOPMOD 11.5oz, CTR 8oz. They're both stocks, they're both light and obviously there won't be a drastic ___oz difference between the two.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Lead Moderator
    Both work well enough for me. I notice little difference in cheek weld or handling characteristics.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    The SOPMOD is 43% heavier.

SOPMOD 11.5oz, CTR 8oz. They're both stocks, they're both light and obviously there won't be a drastic ___oz difference between the two.
    The day you are right will be the day I pack it in. Gotta consult the scale! Remember, my SOPMOD has about five coats of paint just to get back to the original black, so that'll account for a bit!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    Funky what do you like about the keymod? Jon, do you think the keymod is just a fad?
    I'm interested in both of these answers as well.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The day you are right will be the day I pack it in. Gotta consult the scale! Remember, my SOPMOD has about five coats of paint just to get back to the original black, so that'll account for a bit!
    Lol the specs are on their site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links