Shot the new rifles today

This is a discussion on Shot the new rifles today within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got the chance to go to the police range today and fire both of my new toys - Saiga .308 and Norinco SKS. Photos ...

Thread: Shot the new rifles today

VIP Member

I got the chance to go to the police range today and fire both of my new toys - Saiga .308 and Norinco SKS. Photos and other info at Guess What I Got For Christmas.

The Sheriff's department was qualifying at the range so I had only limited time to shoot. The range is too short to do zeroing, so I was shooting with iron sights with factory settings. Combine that with the fact that except for shooting an M16 about a month ago and a mini-14 about 3 months ago I have not fired a rifle since 1974. Today I really wanted to get the feel of these two and to make sure that they would actually fire.

I put one 30 round mag through the SKS and 20 rounds through the Saiga .308. I learned several things. If you are not used to firing a rifle 50 rounds of 7.62 in either 39mm or 51mm will make your shoulder sore. The .308 (7.62X51mm NATO) round is definitely more powerful than the 7.62X39mm round. There is a difference in the noise, but there is an even more evident difference in recoil.

Both rifles performed up to expectations. Neither rifle had any failure. No FTF nor FTE. Both need zeroing, but if the need came up you could hit a human sized target in COM from a reasonable distance with the iron sights just like they are. Since the Police range is only 35 yards long (If you are behind the last row of concrete.) most shots were from there and most hit in the upper chest area of the silhouette target I was using. I will be going to a gun show on 1/6/07 and hope to pick up scopes for both while there. Then I will zero and try some for shooting. I'll report on those events later.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Thanks for the write-up George...

I was wondering how much recoil the .308 Saiga would have...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    Thanks for the write-up George...

I was wondering how much recoil the .308 Saiga would have...
    It is really not bad, Rick. The recoil is more than the 7.62X39, but to tell the truth I preferred shooting the Saiga to the SKS. Part of that has to do with the stock design I'm sure. The Saiga has a semi-pistol and a bit longer stock. This places my hand farther away from my face. It seemed to me that I was hitting myself in the face with my fingers when firing the SKS. The Saiga seemed more comfortable to me. I have to work on shooting the rifle because I've not ever been a real rifle shooter. The firm pressure against the shoulder is not something I do naturally, so I have to think about proper technique each shot. I'm sure some of the shoulder soreness is the result of not having good technique. I'll have to keep practicing until the muscle memory takes over.

Another difference between the Saiga and the SKS that might have contributed to the perceived recoil is barrel length. The Saiga has a 16.3" barrel and the SKS has a 20.5" barrel. I suspect there would be less perceived difference if I had bought the Saiga with the 21.8" barrel.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    How would you compare the sights between the two rifles? I have an SKS, but haven't shot the Saigas...was one easier to get a sight picture over the other?
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Rick, the iron sights are funtionally identical. The SKS has a complete ring arount the post on the front sight while the Saiga has about 3/5 of a circle. The center post is identical. The elevation on the rear sight is out to 1000m on the SKS and only 300m on the Saiga.

You can see the rear sight on the Saiga in the slide show on this page. http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308.htm
    George

The Saiga has a 16.3" barrel and the SKS has a 20.5" barrel. I suspect there would be less perceived difference if I had bought the Saiga with the 21.8" barrel.
    I've shot both - the recoil is about the same, but the 16" is a bit louder. Ironically, the 16" was more accurate.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp View Post
    I've shot both - the recoil is about the same, but the 16" is a bit louder. Ironically, the 16" was more accurate.
    Thanks for the info. Since I had not shot the 20" version I was wondering if there was a difference. The 16" .308 is loud for sure. I should have scopes for each in the next couple of weeks and will be able to get a better grasp on the accuracy.
    George

VIP Member
    Cool....thanks for posting the range report, sir!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

good writed up george glad they shot well for ya

Assistant Administrator
    Good to see you enjoying the long guns George - sounds like you have two very handy tools there!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just got an SKS a week ago and would like to hear what you pick up in the way of scopes for it. I found some good info (apologies if you'd already read this) at

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/scope/index.asp

and

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...emnt/index.asp

My SKS hadn't been fired in a long time, maybe never, and I was gratified that I could hit a man sized target at 75 yards without trying too hard. (But, even with my limited ability, I can see that I can shoot more accurately with the iron sights on my K98 Mauser than on the SKS). I've heard rumors that changing the sighting system to either a fiber optic red dot, or the ?mojo" sight, will help over the regular SKS sights. I like the idea of a scope just to be able to see a pieplate size target easier at 100+ yards.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    I just got an SKS a week ago and would like to hear what you pick up in the way of scopes for it. I found some good info (apologies if you'd already read this) at

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/scope/index.asp

and

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...emnt/index.asp

My SKS hadn't been fired in a long time, maybe never, and I was gratified that I could hit a man sized target at 75 yards without trying too hard. (But, even with my limited ability, I can see that I can shoot more accurately with the iron sights on my K98 Mauser than on the SKS). I've heard rumors that changing the sighting system to either a fiber optic red dot, or the ?mojo" sight, will help over the regular SKS sights. I like the idea of a scope just to be able to see a pieplate size target easier at 100+ yards.
    I'll let you know what I find. I will be checking first with the dealer that I bought the Saiga from. One very nice thing about this dealer is that, as strange as this may sound, he doesn't have a store front. He deals mail order and at gun shows. He is a Class III dealer and a Class II manufacturer as well. The people who help him at gun shows are friends who are real gun people. A number of them have owned gun shops or had FFLs, but are basically retired. The only thing they get for helping at the shows is free admission for both days. Usually when things slow down on Sunday they get to go around and see it there are things they are interested in.

One guy I talk to at just about every show is very knowledgeable about rifles and he will be the one I ask about scopes. He will tell me right up front what is the best for the money.

BTW, I have no vested interest in the dealer mentioned above, but will give you information on him if you are interested. Send me a PM and I will reply with his info.
    George

Links