HD Rifle

This is a discussion on HD Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have been considering whether or not a HD Rifle is in order...I have a 870 Police Magnum and a few handguns for HD. I also ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricker
  • 1 Post By CLASS3NH
  • 1 Post By txron
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: HD Rifle

HD Rifle

Have been considering whether or not a HD Rifle is in order...I have a 870 Police Magnum and a few handguns for HD. I also own a Inland 30 Carbine...I have always felt pretty well prepared. Most of y'all seem to rely on an AR, AK (style) or M1A as their HD Rifle...I never really gave a thought about using a rifle for HD until I got "educated" on the various forums. What influenced your decision to utilize a rifle and what was your choice ? Also, where do you keep it ?

rick
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I would say you are pretty well set.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

30 Carbine would make for a good house gun. You're doing fine with what you have.
    OD* likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

The 30 carbine is a perfect hd rifle. I personally would use my 30/30 without any hesitation.
    dangerranger likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Between the .30 and 870, there's not much to be desired. You can pick up the AR if you have $$ lying around that needs a new hobby. Get the AK if you are tired of all that gun maintenance.

Really unless you living on a ranch or a lot of land a 30 carbin or shotgun will serve you just fine ... Esp when you cosnider the pentration of most full house rounds ...

A 30 carbine would do fine I think..

That all said I would still own a AK or AR .. Esp for futurn investmen SHTF...

I like the 5.45 rounds the vmag polymor tips are very nasty as is the orginal round ( the so called posioned bullet ) .... But if I am indores and have to go for a rifle I am getting some form of a 9mm or other pistol caliber carbine ... A 30cal mi a 9mm or 45 UZI ( I like that idea quite a fearsome gun indores plus a great club ...) or a 9mm AR or 45 AR .. Heck even a hi point rifle ...

So yeah unless your on the mexicain border or on a lot of land with a long police response time then I think what you have is just fine .. But if you have the cash now is the time to buy a AR or AK or some form of a clone there in ...
    Eric357 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The 30 Carbine is about the perfect HD rifle! I use a rifle for HD because my front drive is 100 yards long. It would be hard to hit a threat at that distance with a pistol or shotgun! But an easy shot with a rifle! DR

You have pretty much everything covered with what you have now, unless you want something that reaches out a bit farther.

I live on 200 acres of mostly open farm land with close trees around the building site.
    My Wife's "house gun" is a Ruger PC9 9mm carbine. We are more apt to have 4 legged "varmints" than BG's in our area, but I feel adequately prepared for either one. It compliments the P89 in the safe next to the bed. We have shotguns and rifles available, but the Ruger is the first long-gun to hand.

I know for a fact that 147grn Ranger T's do wonders for coyotes! :~}
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

A .30 M1 Carbine is at one end of the house and a .351 Winchesters Model 1907 is at the other.

These two are preferred over the AR 15 or the shorty 12 gauge.
    OD* likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    I dunno....I feel pretty good about having the trusty ol' 12 gauge readily available.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Sounds like you are ready for most threats.....Along the lines of your .30 carbine, Ruger made a couple of real nice carbines that are now discontinued....One in 9mm and the other in 40 S&W....I own the 40 and it is a easy and fun rifle to shoot....Like I said your .30 is A-OK.....and with the 870 your even better...

Links