Motor oil for AR lube

This is a discussion on Motor oil for AR lube within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is why you shouldn't use it. Instead of being on my BCG all of the oil is in my buffer tube. Over time this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Motor oil for AR lube

VIP Member

Motor oil for AR lube

This is why you shouldn't use it. Instead of being on my BCG all of the oil is in my buffer tube. Over time this oil will build up and cause malfunctions, not to mention the malfunctions you'll get from not having lube on the BCG.

The lake of oil in the bottom of my buffer spring tube.
    HPIM3656 1200x1005.jpg

Another shot of the same. Notice the excess lube on the end plate and the Gunzilla coagulated in the Upper left side of the buffer tube.
    HPIM3655 1200x900.jpg

Sorry about the "soft" focus on this pic. I hope you can still see how much oil is on the buffer and buffer spring. It's nasty.
    HPIM3654 1200x759.jpg

My bolt is bone dry. My buffer tube is full of oil. Any questions?
    munch520 and airslot like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

High Temp Wheel Bearing Grease is the WTG.
    Aceoky and Longstreet like this.

You are just having all sorts of lube problems these days, aren't you Timmy?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Saw the thread on it couple months ago. I don't use that type of lube. I get to learn from your experience, thanks better you than me.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

i used diesel truck oil/grease on many ar's and other pistols/rifles. i also used different gun oils too. never had this happen to me. i just checked several different rifles no problems. i guest i am lucky.
    atctimmy likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I use Frog Lube on my ADCOR B.E.A.R. Elite. I've tested it by firing 1,000 rounds (with 3 friends helping) in a day with ZERO failures of any kind. A testament to the reliability of the weapon and Frog Lube.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

B-b-b-b-but motor oil works in cars! It's gotta be good enough for my guns! lol

Jeebus. It ain't a complex thing. I don't put motor oil on my guns. I don't put gun oil in my cars.

And I don't brush my teeth with shampoo.

Just put ___ liquid where it's designed to go. No need to re-invent the wheel.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Distinguished Member
    More of this again................
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Never did the motor oil thing on pistols or rifles. Honestly I just kinda stick to lucas gun oil and have for quite a while now. Seems to work fine. But we wipe out and relube our edcs once a week fired or not so they are always running fresh lube. The SKS doesnt really give a hoot what you put in it. I think you could put silly putty in it and it would run LOL.

Ive thought about the high temp bearing grease, but after leaving a tub of it out in the cold and seeing how stiff it gets I hesitate to try it in the winter months.

The lucas gun oil seems to stay pretty much where its put for the most part, and a bottle lasts forever so so far thats what ive stayed with since it came out.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I've often been told and read that motor oil is "one of the best lubes" for rifles and pistols. I've personally never used it. Hoppes #9 / CLP it is for me and has been for a while with optimal results.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    More of this again................
    Right? I am glad that Timmy actually brings a pictorial reference of why it's not ideal
    airslot likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    You are just having all sorts of lube problems these days, aren't you Timmy?
    Nope, no more problems. I just had the problem with the shotgun freezing up and I wanted to check any other gun that I had used GZ on. I already knew about the motor oil/gravity issue. I just had it apart and figured I'd take some pictures of it so others could actually see it. This isn't my primary HD gun, this is my #2 gun and I was using Mobil 1 on it as an experiment.

For the record the oil I used (because I thought it would stay in place better) was 50 wt Mobil 1.

My next lube is going to be SLIP EWG.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

...or don't use a whole quart of ANY oil to lube a gun.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Myself? I like to use a little valve-grinding compound, dabbed here and there in my AR 15.

Seriously? Light machine oil gets the nod and seems to keep the AR 15 happy and trouble-free.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    ...or don't use a whole quart of ANY oil to lube a gun.
    That's not all from one "oiling". That's just the first time I've had the thing apart in a while, it builds up.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Seriously? Light machine oil gets the nod and seems to keep the AR 15 happy and trouble-free.
    My AR ran fine when lubed with Mobil 1 before a trip to the range. It's more of a storage thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links