Getting an AR 15 lower to putz with from scratch. Now... what to build??

This is a discussion on Getting an AR 15 lower to putz with from scratch. Now... what to build?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not really into mall ninja tacticool stuff. I like the idea of owning an AR because it's something else I can build slowly over ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ZacMan1987
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 2 Post By ZOMBIEvs42
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Getting an AR 15 lower to putz with from scratch. Now... what to build??

I'm not really into mall ninja tacticool stuff. I like the idea of owning an AR because it's something else I can build slowly over time. And that I, a civilian, can own one pisses certain people off. I'd be lying to you all if I didn't admit I personally think that's a great reason in and of itself to build/have one in this United States of America.

I don't like the 5.56 cartridge. Right off the bat I would be more game for a 300 BLK upper. Maybe 6.5 Grendel?

I want it to be as short as possible without running into SBR/stamp territory.

I don't have enough AR experience to have a vested opinion on what length the gas tube should be or whether to choose a piston over direct system.

So I guess I'll make this an information hub thread for myself when I have questions during this long, slow process.

So I guess lets go with a 300 BLK, short but not SBR/stamp short, adjustable stock. From there on the AR world is my oyster and the sky is the limit.

Good fundamental part lists? BAFTE legal bullet (hehe) points?
    Home cooked always tastes better.

BAFTE limit is 14.5" with a 1.5" permanently pinned muzzle device to bring barrel length to 16"
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    BAFTE limit is 14.5" with a 1.5" permanently pinned muzzle device to bring barrel length to 16"
    This as noted.

Or, have you looked into a .300 pistol?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

300 was made to run short and silenced from what I hear .... The nice thing with it is you can use normal mags ... As a foot note :

1. For a legal rifle it must be 16 inch with 26 inch oal ... However you can have 10-15 whatver barrel as long as of course a permlty pin muzzle device brings it to 16.1 inch
    2. For a handgun it must start as a striped lower never marked as a rifle or fitted with a stock ...
    3. You can not have a VFG on a handgun unless it is over 26inch with no but stock fitted
    4. Magpul AFG are ok last I looked
    5. Of course you can not make the the gun 1db quiter in any where or you will go to jail
    6. And of course you can not have it full auto or for that metter even simply have the auto sear hole this is a big no no

Really for the issue is with 6.5/6.8 even 300 is that unless you reload it adds up darn fast .. Something to think about

If you want real fun how about a 50 beowfulf handgun if you really want to stop cars
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I should add the issue is mags here ... I am not a 100% on 6.8-6.5 if they work in ar mags .. I know 458 and 300 run in normal mags I think 50 beowulf does too

A 7.62x39 or 5.45 ar are great fun but finding mags is the hard part ...

I like 9mm ar for plinking

So yeah I do a 300 pistol and then down the road get the can and the SBR stamp .. It was really made for it
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

IMO

If your thinking 300BO, file the paperwork now for a SBR. yes i know, but youll end up doing it anyway, while thats waiting to be approved, build a 556 upper.

556 ammo is cheaper than 300, shoot 556, while slowly building 300 stockpile. when your sbr paperwork gets through, get a 10in 300 barrel, install. shoot all the 300 you want with that 9 months of ammo savings.
    munch520 and WrongRecroom like this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Yeah if you are legally able to put a stock on the gun, there's no reason not to.

Controlling recoil is a nice perk haha
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I handload all my ammo, I would be doing the same with 300 BLK.

If the 300 BLK was made to run short and silenced, why are so many barrels for sale 16"?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    This as noted.

Or, have you looked into a .300 pistol?
    I've done a lot of reading, research and vid watching regard AR pistols. I'm just not interested personally. I definitely understand the attraction, but it's just not for me.

[QUOTE=ChrisATX;3169975]Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I handload all my ammo, I would be doing the same with 300 BLK.

If the 300 BLK was made to run short and silenced, why are so many barrels for sale 16"?

Why is that no many people want to effort to file the paperwork .. 16 will work for the 300 is it about as long as you want to go...

Many states dont allow SBR or the like ... Thus a lot of legal 16inc barrels... If there was no NFA act I would think you would see mostly 10inch or lesser but NFA act ....

The 300 AAC Blackout was designed to achieve energies similar to the 7.62×39mm Soviet in an AR-15 platform while using standard AR magazines at their full capacity. The 7.62 Soviet's cartridge taper prevented reliable feeding in AR magazines and created wear on the bolt. From the 14.5 in (370 mm) of the M4 Carbine, the M855 5.56 mm round has an effective point target range of 500 meters. The bullet has significant drop, drift, and energy loss at that distance. From a 16 in (410 mm) barrel, a 125 gr (8.1 g) 300 BLK round has a lower velocity and similar bullet drop and drift at shorter distances. However, it has the same amount of energy at 700 meters that the M855 has at 500 meters. In terms of hit probability, the Blackout has an effective range of 460 meters. From a 9 in (230 mm) barrel, the 125 gr BLK round has the same muzzle energy as the M855 from the M4, and 5 percent more energy at 440 meters. In comparison with 7.62×39mm rounds, 300 BLK rounds with varying loads have a better ballistic coefficient and more energy out of similar length barrels. 300 BLK rounds have "barrier blind" performance, being capable of penetration through several inches of different hard targets. The .30 caliber cartridge has an 89.1 percent increase in frontal bullet area over the 5.56 mm, and so leaves a large wound cavity in soft targets. It also penetrates deeper and initially yaws faster. 300 BLK rounds are effective out of barrels as short as 4.5 in (110 mm). Weapons chambered for the round can be as light, compact, and quiet when suppressed as submachine guns like the 9 mm Parabellum MP5 and 4.6×30mm MP7 while having more energy and accuracy at longer range.[9][10]

Compared to the 6.8×43mm Special Purpose Cartridge, another round made to have increased stopping power over the 5.56 NATO, the 300 Blackout has different capabilities. The 300 BLK was designed with a specific shorter-range focus to have equal or more energy than the 7.62 Soviet and work reliably with suppressors. The earlier 6.8 SPC was simply designed to have more energy at all ranges than the 5.56 mm. It has a relatively small projectile with a high velocity that maintains performance at range. At 200 yd (183 m), the 300 BLK drops 2 in (51 mm) lower than the 6.8 SPC, while it drops 30 in (760 mm) lower at 500 yd (457 m). The 115 gr (7.5 g) 6.8 round has a higher muzzle energy of 1,694 ft·lb (2,297 J) due to its greater velocity, while the 125 gr (8.1 g) 300 BLK round has a muzzle energy of 1,360 ft·lb (1,840 J). Both rounds were made to be used in an easily converted AR-15 platform. The 6.8 SPC has a more difficult conversion because it was designed around the .30 Remington cartridge, requiring a different bolt and decreasing standard magazine capacity. The 300 BLK was made specifically for ease of conversion, so the standard bolt will work and a magazine can be used to its full capacity, so the only change needed is the barrel.[11]

So yeah do that and file at least the paperwork for a silencer and then one for the SBR when you have time 300 blackout is a quite round subsonice ... Heck even some 45 can can handle it if subsonic ...

I might hurry up though I am not a 100% sure which way all this trust stuff is going ....

The main selling point to a handgun is it legal allow you to have a less then 16inch upper around while you wait on your SBR stamp and then just engrave the gun and fit a stock ... If you have a rifle only lower and a less then 16inch barrel around and no SBR or pistole lower you are in very deep water ....
    Aceoky likes this.

What about 6.5 Grendel? What components do I need that differ from a 5.56 configuration?

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    So many options, but check out the ALG triggers. You can get the combat trigger for 65.00 dollars, a vast improvement over a stock mil spec trigger.
    As for the gas system, the shorter the gas tube the quicker the gun will cycle. Mid length is very popular now, with a free floating barrel.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Links