Zastava AK

This is a discussion on Zastava AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I just left the local gun shop where they had a like new Zastava, Serbian AK-47 for $1100, felt high to me but being ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 2 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By farsidefan1
  • 1 Post By 1 old 0311

Thread: Zastava AK

Zastava AK

So I just left the local gun shop where they had a like new Zastava, Serbian AK-47 for $1100, felt high to me but being fairly new to guns wanted a second opinion on if I should go back before I miss out on a possible deal. It had a poly stock w/ thumb hole and looks fired all of maybe once. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah there smoking crack ...A new in box Npap etc is like 550 or so ....

Also I will bet you 10-1 this is the unconverted sporter model .. Which means 10 round only mags and no muzzle threading or bayo lug ... The mag well is not too hard to fix but the stocks can be weird as some yugo aks are not normal ak like in terms of stocks .... Changing out my EAA Zastava PAP Thumbhole Stock - AK Variant Discussion - New Jersey Gun Forums Want to Change Zastava PAP Thumbhole Stock - AR15.COM Want to Change Zastava PAP Thumbhole Stock - AR15.COM

is this the one Yugo M70 AK Rifle by Zastava Arms Model PAP - Hi-Cap Semi-Auto AK Type Rifle W / Thumb Hole Stock - Long Guns .....?

I mean for 550 you can get a yugo npap

Firearms - Long Guns
    Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Yeah there smoking crack ...A new in box Npap etc is like 550 or so ....

Also I will bet you 10-1 this is the unconverted sporter model .. Which means 10 round only mags and no muzzle threading or bayo lug ... The mag well is not too hard to fix but the stocks can be weird as some yugo aks are not normal ak like in terms of stocks .... Changing out my EAA Zastava PAP Thumbhole Stock - AK Variant Discussion - New Jersey Gun Forums Want to Change Zastava PAP Thumbhole Stock - AR15.COM Want to Change Zastava PAP Thumbhole Stock - AR15.COM

is this the one Yugo M70 AK Rifle by Zastava Arms Model PAP - Hi-Cap Semi-Auto AK Type Rifle W / Thumb Hole Stock - Long Guns .....?

I mean for 550 you can get a yugo npap

Firearms - Long Guns
    Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!
    Yea that's what I thought, and your probably right with the unconverted comment as it had a 10 round mag in it. Thanks for the reply and I'm glad I listened to my gut about the price

Distinguished Member
    The guy is boinkers! I wouldn't pay more than 450 for it. Get an Opap or Npap for less.
    I lucked out years ago and found a Norinco for $450. Then did my thing with it last year.
    If you buy something, make sure it stays 922r compliant.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by Xanderith View Post
    Yea that's what I thought, and your probably right with the unconverted comment as it had a 10 round mag in it. Thanks for the reply and I'm glad I listened to my gut about the price

I mean heck for 400 bucks you can get a 10 round only model with a normal stock Yugo M70 AK Type Semi - Auto Lo Cap N-PAP Rifle w / Teak Wood Stock and Forearm, Made in Serbia by Zastava Arms 7.62x39 Caliber - Long Guns

so yeah he is crazy ...

Plus you will have to deal with the barrel and such ...

Centerfire has imop pretty good deals on these guns .. And the models with bayo luges etc .... The only issue I hear is they are pig heavy and the stock is different but that can be fixed .. The only other issue is not all ak handguards and stocks fit yugo guns ...

Centerfire Systems - AK Firearms

or j&g
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also if your looking for a AK this link will save you but more times you can count imop https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/1..._in_here_.html

also iraqivet has a great vid on youtube on what to look for ...

And in case you did not know this :

A pre 1989 AK means that there was no USA made parts in them and none is needed .. These are considered some of the best around .. This the most of the china com AK a few European ones and the very nice Maddi Egytpian ones that were basically Russian AKs

Post 1989 you do have a for a short while pure non USA guns but made here ( A few of the b west AK were ) but they soon passed 922r which meant that you could not have a non sporting guns imported and built here or the such..

So any thing post 1989 is either
    A. imported with thumbhole stock and the like and 10 round only mags ... Then here the mag well is opned and USA parts are added and a normal stock
    b. A ak parts kit is used with USA parts ...These are getting less common as barrels have been banned from import and kits are drying up
    c. There are some guns that claim to be made here from all USA parts but I am dubious of that ...

also there are some full auto AKS pre 1986 out there but they run 20 k or so now ...

For the money the yugo guns are good as are the m&m 10 .... Wsar if you check them out can be a very good bang for the money ( ie you want a slick bolt limted wobble on mags and sigts are not canted )

Welcome - Atlantic Firearms | AR15 & AK47 Rifles is a good place to look as well

The early Lancaster AK made here in AZ were good but the latter ones are hit and miss .... Don't buy a B west with a USA receivers they were not heat treated right and most will fail in a few hundred rounds the china made AK receivers ones are ok for the most part

A mak 90 or sar 1 are good guns if you converted them

For the money a Saiga is a great gun ... As close as we can come to a Russian AK right now

So if you want the best bet in a AK and dont mind maybe not having a bayo lug my choices are :
    1. Siaga conveted
    2. N-pap
    3. m&m 10
    4. Arsnal makes good guns but very pricy
    5. Mak-90
    6. Wsar

Ak are harder as you not only have pre 94 and post 94 ones but also pre 1989 import and post import ban ones ... And then myird copies of both like the Madie has a pre 1989 form and a post one as well a number of parts kit clones out there .. Usally the import and disturtber marks tell the tall .. Though it does get tricky as some guns were cauge 1989 ban and were just restamped and fitted with thumbhole stocks ...
    Last edited by WrongRecroom; March 14th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
    StormRhydr and molleur like this.

$1100 is highway robbery. Look
    For deals online at or below $500. They're out there. Like this one...

http://www.keepshooting.com/ak-47-rifle.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep the only ak I paid 1.1 for would be a very nice pre 1989 one and only then a Madi or Euro one

Seeing responses like these are why I find this forum so valuable. Nice job folks, you make me proud.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Ex Member
    For the best quality in an AK, I have owned 10-12 over the years, check G-broker for a M70AB2 underfolder. You can get them all day long for $650
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    For the best quality in an AK, I have owned 10-12 over the years, check G-broker for a M70AB2 underfolder. You can get them all day long for $650

I will just add check the underfolders out in person before buying some people just dont like that feeling

Links