Well I bought a non-tactical rifle today.

This is a discussion on Well I bought a non-tactical rifle today. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well had to spend the day in Springfield . Son needed to go doctor and we had to take an elderly lady to her doctor ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Well I bought a non-tactical rifle today.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Well had to spend the day in Springfield . Son needed to go doctor and we had to take an elderly lady to her doctor appt. After my son's appointment I dropped my wife and the elderly lady off at her doctor's office. We went to Gander mountain and looked at some handguns . Afterwards we went to Scheels and was looking at the used rifles first. There was a lovely used Rem 700Bdl 30-06 with leupold mounts and rings and a cheap bushnell scope. I've wanted a 700 30-06 for a longgggggggggg time. Well I left it there.

After picking up my wife and the other lady we went back to Scheels for my wife to pick up her XDs she bought Monday night. While standing there I started talking to the gentleman there we do lot of business with. I asked him a few questions about the older Remington over there. We got to talking and he asked me if I was interested. I thought for about 60 seconds and said yes. We walked over there. I held it again. He took the bolt out for me to look at the bore. I told him I'll take it. Nope its not a "tactical" rifle but I'm happy. Guess that AR will have to wait a bit longer. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow if I can.

Good for you, now enjoy it!
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    A good pistol, a good shotgun, an AR, and a good long range shooter. Well rounded.
    Eric357 and JDE101 like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Awesome! Can't go wrong with a 700! I'll get back on the bolt action bandwagon soon. Probably with a Weatherby Vanguard or a Ruger Gunsite Scout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    IMO you made a great choice! The model 700 is a great gun. I owned the BDL in 3006 for many years and greatly regret getting rid of it. I now own CDL models in a few calibers. Again, great guns!

Well Done!
    Eric357 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Tomorrow 4pm cant get here soon enough.I'll have to decide down the road what scope to replace the one on it with. I'm thinking something Leupold.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Tomorrow 4pm cant get here soon enough.I'll have to decide down the road what scope to replace the one on it with. I'm thinking something Leupold.
    Nikon makes great products too and usually beats Leupold on price.
    Eric357 and Kilowatt3 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Remington Model 700's are just sexy. Many a white-tail down here in these swamps wish they had never been invented. Mine are flavored: 7mm Remington Magnum and 30-06 Springfield, (.308 Winchester too if you wanna count my lil Model 7).

Congrat's on a classic piece !

I never had a 700 that couldn't shoot better 'n me !
    Eric357 and manolito like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    You don't always need to go tactical and be tacticool. It is good that you got a weapon off your must have list. Enjoy it man. Congrats!
    Eric357 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Administrator
    Congrats! Shoot it in good health.

Much depends on your exact definition of "tactical" AKA A good, accurate, long gun with a optic & firing a decently powerful projectile that can really reach out and touch something could be considered appropriately tactical.

There are some fairly common "tactical scenarios" that I can think of where that just might be the exact rifle that I would want.

Of course to make it really tactical you would need to invest in a spray can of flat black gun lacquer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Good choice. If you decide to "Go Tactical" you can always paint it black and tape a flashlight to the barrel...
    Eric357, NONAME762 and ugh762x39 like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

You simply can't go wrong with the Remington 700 action. I have a .270 that I have taken big game in five states with, and trust it more than my best friend. Good for you.
    Eric357 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Tactics is all in how you use the weapon.

I'm going pimp slap the first ninja I see paint a Remington walnut stock black and start screwing rail sections into the wood because its "tactical" !

You have a fine rifle there.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Tactics is all in how you use the weapon.

I'm going pimp slap the first ninja I see paint a Remington walnut stock black and start screwing rail sections into the wood because its "tactical" !

You have a fine rifle there.
    Too late already did it.. Just joking. No way am I doing anything to this rifle except end up putting another scope on it. Heck and that doesn't have to be done right away since it does have a cheapo on it and the iron sights. I love classic looking rifles.

As far as the tactical wording it was kind of "tongue in cheek", because you don't see to many traditional rifles posted on here.

You done good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links