Scary Black Rifle on order

This is a discussion on Scary Black Rifle on order within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've decided to build an AR-15. I just ordered the stripped lower (Stag) and I'll get the remaining parts when the budget allows. My plan ...

Thread: Scary Black Rifle on order

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

I've decided to build an AR-15.

I just ordered the stripped lower (Stag) and I'll get the remaining parts when the budget allows.

My plan is for a telescoping stock, and flat-top Dissipator style upper (quad rail mount handguards). I'm going to get the kit from Model 1 sales.
    Attached Images
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Stag is good stuff, however I'll warn you there are a lot of horror stories from M1 (weak bolts and horrible CS). Doesn't stag sell kits too?
    Or you can get a LMT or CMT lower parts kit, order a Bushy bbl (decent prices actually) buy a DPMS bbl wrench and upper vise block and a Stag stripped upper and BCG. That's what I'd do. YMMV.

DC Founder
    CMT makes all Stag, DPMS, Colt and S&W parts so any of those should work with no problems. Have fun!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I've seen both good and bad reviews of model 1. My attraction to them is mostly that they offer complete kits to my specs with a dissipator option (I can't stand the M-4 sight radius).

No order placed yet. I'd welcome any recommendations for other companies.

Best part about getting an AR: I already have the cleaning kit, forward grip, and about 30 30 round mags

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Getting parts that are not in a complete kit is not that bad actually. Easiest, cheapest and best quality would be this IMO: (are you comfortable with doing a bbl install? It's not very hard actually)

LPK, stripped upper (with ejection port cover and forward assist already installed), and bolt carrier group from stag (as Bumper said, that's CMT), pick out a 16" bbl of your choosing. I like Bushy because it's chrome lines, 4150 steel and not too expensive.
    Pick out a rail system of your choosing. A good inexpensive one is made by yankee hill machine. LaRue makes a top of the line on but it ain't cheap.
    Do you want a solid front sight or flip up? You can order a dissy bbl with a solid front sight from Bushy, although it has a carbine length gas system. Or you can get a 16" bbl with a midlength gas system (longer gas system, longer cycle time, slightly less recoil) from say RRA and then mount a front sight on the rail system. (16" bbl + any rifle length rail system or standard handguards will of course give you the dissy sight radius) Confused yet?! There are tons of options that you can specifically tailor to what you want/need beyond what is offered in kits.

Last of all, you should order a upper reciever vise block and bbl wrench from DPMS. These are the only specialized tools you will need assuming you have a vise.

Due to my lack of observation, I ordered a lower that was out of stock. Now I'll be receiving a RRA fully assembled lower with a 6 position stock.
    I'll pay a little more but it removes the hassle of assembly (I still get the rifle and that's the important thing).

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    Good luck on your build.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Not really much of a build anymore. I'm just getting the parts pre-field stripped.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Well here it is, I call her Veera:

The lower is RRA. It has a 6 position stock.
    The upper is a dissipator style 16" barrel from Model 1 Sales. The only assembly I did was mate the 2 and slap bits on the rails.

The rail covers, front grip, scope, and mounting hardware I had stored in the basement.

Removable rear sight adjustable for windage and elevation (standard A2 functioning). The scope is from Tapco (Leapers is the brand). It's 4X fixed with a range adjustment said to be calibrated for 5.56 (I just left it at the 300 mark like the iron sights). It's designed to mount on a carry handle but I had some PAQ-4 (IR aiming laser) and PVS-4 (night optic) hardware lying around that suited this just fine.

I've got the scope mounted so I can still use the iron sights with a bit of obstruction. A quick turn of the self torquing screw and the obstruction is removed.

Lower: $290
    Upper: $820
    Scope: $40
    Rail accessories: Really cheap at the "Army surplus store"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Administrator
    Looks good! How does it shoot? I really like the dissipator set up for pure function. It looks a little different, but the added sight radius far out weighs that.

New year and I haven't renewed my range membership yet. I plan to take it out in a week or so.

With the 16" barrel requirement I see absolutely no valid reason to have the short handguards on a civilian rifle.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Links