Considering getting out of the 7.62 x 39 business

This is a discussion on Considering getting out of the 7.62 x 39 business within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Right now, I have 5.56 and x39 rifles and ammunition for same. Given certain reports about supply of x39 ammunition and how pricing for the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Considering getting out of the 7.62 x 39 business

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar

Considering getting out of the 7.62 x 39 business

Right now, I have 5.56 and x39 rifles and ammunition for same. Given certain reports about supply of x39 ammunition and how pricing for the lower-quality type I use for most training (anything that doesn't call for eyeball accuracy, basically), I'm beginning to think that it's not worth the trouble to support the x39 habit. The idea beginning to appear in my mind is to sell off rifle, mags, ammunition and either invest in additional 5.56 platforms and ammunition or get something in 7.62 x 51/.308.

Your thoughts on this idea and if there are other options you might suggest for me would be welcome.
    molleur likes this.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I too, have considered this, however, I'll hang on to it anyway. I do need to put together a good 5.56 platform though.
    Agree that the 7.62x51 is really versatile, looking at that as well.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

At least at this point I think the rumors of a non existent supply are overly exaggerated ; plenty of it at about the same price as it has been for some time now. (MUCH less than $$ .308) but your choice to make obviously
    WHEC724, WrongRecroom and mano3 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Everyone here has heard the maxim "Buy low. Sell high". And.........the majority of investors DO JUST THE OPPOSITE. No kidding. They buy high, and sell low.

Dont be that guy. When things are widely available, they cost less. Like guns & ammo. When they are nearly impossible to find, they become MORE expensive.

So, my advice is to hang on to it all. If a shortage happens, sell then. You will command a much higher price for your items.

Btw, I agree with your logic re the weapons platforms. I picked an AR in 5.56 because of that.

However, if you are already set up with commie bloc stuff, and you are right in what is about to happen, (I think you are. Its just a matter of timing), you would be selling low, now.

Distinguished Member
    "Buy high, sell low, make up for it in volume".
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

As of right now, the only 7.62x39 I have is a "sporterized" SKS but any day now I'll be getting a call from my LGS saying the AK pistol I ordered is in. I just recently bought some more 7.62x39's in anticipation of my new arrival and they were actually cheaper than the last time. Not by much, but cheaper nonetheless. I've certainly heard and read the rumors all over the interwebz, but I've yet to see them verified in the real world.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Do you consider your gear an investment? Or are they simply tools to accomplish a mission and the economic situation is just a part of the beast?

If it is an investment I'd dump the x39 rifles now while the demand is still somewhat outpacing supply. But I'd hold on to the ammo for the short term. I do believe that the supply of Russian ammo is about to get cut off. Possible that Putin would use his influence over the rest of the former com-bloc to further restrict the stuff from coming in. If that happens demand for x39 will go up significantly and you'll be in a position to turn a nice little profit.

If it is just about what the tools can do for you I'd dump the guns and ammo and turn it into 5.56 ammo and maybe a rifle to meet a goal you don't currently have taken care of. (Myself as an example, I'd get a Mk 12 clone since I don't have anything like that in the inventory.) The x39 doesn't accomplish anything for you that 5.56 doesn't and the main advantage of being cheap could well disappear in the near future. I personally dumped the AK stuff a few months ago. They were fun to play with and functioned well but getting everything onto the AR platform has simplified life.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Wolf is a US company and has stated many countries make and export the X39 - the supply won't "dry up" no matter what Russia does or does not do they do not expect any major issues for the foreseeable future FWIW
    oneshot likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It has begun...
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Around here, everything is just as it was before this Ukraine-Russia mess began. However, on the interwebz the mass hysteria has started. Get ready for another self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    5.56 will disappear again off the shelves when we have our next ground war, so I'm not confident about putting all eggs in that basket either. This is why I like owning lots of different calibers; No matter what ammo shortage, I can always find something that will chamber in one of my guns.

Fortune telling is a tough business.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    5.56 will disappear again off the shelves when we have our next ground war, so I'm not confident about putting all eggs in that basket either. This is why I like owning lots of different calibers; No matter what ammo shortage, I can always find something that will chamber in one of my guns.

Fortune telling is a tough business.
    Right about that.

I know that part of this is that I'm just tired of dealing with the gun-owning-public's panic attacks.

What I figure at this point is that I would lose money on sale of the rifle and magazines and make money on the sale of ammo, depending on my timing of said sales.

I picked up some additional x39 ammo last night, normally priced, in anticipation of another panic-driven run.

If I went .308 at this time, I would have to sell off the x39 to finance it.

Emotion-driven markets. We hatezez, it, m'precious...we do...nasty panicses...
    40Bob, Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Really ... You priced 308 recently ? Or 223 for that matter ... Surplus at least for 308 is drying up and yeah 223 will alway be miltray first civialn second if we get into anothr shooting war..

What the heck are you shooting in the 7.62x39 that is so expesnive ? Last I looked you can get 180 + rounds for under 45 bucks or less easy and boxs of 20 are still 5-7 bucks .... Never mind how cheap the mags are ...

At least keep it for the SHTF factor ... The 39 is a hard hitting round a 30-30 round

If you were talking 5.45 I might see your point few domsicta markers and limted guns that fire it ... But everone from Fedeal to Whinchester makes 7.62x39 now so even if 93 china sitatuion happedn you could still find it but just a bit more ...

Heck you can get close two 1080 rounds for under 200 bucks easy now ...

The ak is a gun to buy it cheep and deep
    blitzburgh and Aceoky like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    If it is just about what the tools can do for you I'd dump the guns and ammo and turn it into 5.56 ammo and maybe a rifle to meet a goal you don't currently have taken care of. (Myself as an example, I'd get a Mk 12 clone since I don't have anything like that in the inventory.) The x39 doesn't accomplish anything for you that 5.56 doesn't and the main advantage of being cheap could well disappear in the near future. I personally dumped the AK stuff a few months ago. They were fun to play with and functioned well but getting everything onto the AR platform has simplified life.
    Tools. x39 is the current heavy-hitter in my group. I only have the one platform for it. Have a couple in 5.56. One option is to set up a 'heavy' 5.56 that would handle some of the x39 tasking. Or just replace it with a .308 platform.

Well...it's an interesting question to contemplate even if I don't do anything.
    blitzburgh likes this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Also what AK do you have if you dont mind me asking ? If you have a wsar it could be the gun that is the issue ...

And if you have a pre ban AK for the love of god dont sell it ... Most any pre 1989 AKS are getting at 1-2k now ...

Even some mags are getting up there if the rarer or china com mags ...

Heck buy a sks if you want more accuarcy ...

This is not a percsion rifle yes now was it meant to be ... Get a bolt action Czech if you want scoped fun..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links