Really wanting an M1 carbine

This is a discussion on Really wanting an M1 carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've shot them. I've handled them. Just don't have one. And I want one. So let me here what I need to look for and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Really wanting an M1 carbine

I've shot them. I've handled them. Just don't have one. And I want one.

So let me here what I need to look for and stay away from. Educate me please.
    GhostMaker and JoJoGunn like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Most any war model is good ... What the issue is the post war models were very hit and miss... For example the universal m-1 though cheep are not a m-1 interal if made after a certian date though they look like it ...

M1CarbinesInc.com to me covers most of the post war guns the good and the bad ..

It all depedns if you want a beater gun or a nice colltecore war model... The nice war ones are going for 750 -1k and up ... Folding stocks for more

Also if you ever run into one marked m-2 run very very fast ... That is a full auto reciver one and you dont want to get mixed up in that ( some people have bough m-1 that were not demiled m-2 not good)
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I know what you mean. I was seriously looking, too-may dad has an inland (Korea vintage) that is awseome. Ultimately, though, I went and got a Mini-14, which is essentially the same firearm with a more commonly availible ammo. Nutunfancy does a good breakdown on what to look for in an M1 Garand, and many of the same features apply. I hear the Auto Ordinance ones are pretty good too, but they run arounf. 800 here and I got the Mini for 600.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Also this may not be right but I hear do to the gas system of the gun being hard to clean that most of the ammo for them even 1940 ammo was non corrisve ... Non usa made ammo may be though ..

School me on M1 Carbines - The Firing Line Forums

you will run into blue sky m-1 as well these are korean imported ones that we gave to them "Blue Sky" M1 Carbine worth a shot? - AR15.COM they are hit and miss but pure gi guns if you get one that was not too mangled
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have an Inland and a Winchester. Check the bore out as some of the barrels are shot out. Use military mags as well, as some of the Korean mags are hit and miss. They are neat guns, fun to shoot low recoil and easy handling. They make great home defense weapons. The fifteen round mags are generally liked better by M1 afficionadoes than the thirties.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Get one! Get one! Get one!

Handiest small rifle on the planet. More potent even with ball ammo than most give it credit. Quite wicked under 100 yards with soft nose jacketed ammunition. Feeding soft nose is another story. Many military Carbines feed it fine. A few will balk. One just has to test for reliability. Really good for interior spaces, even with regular stock. Very compact. Great car or truck gun. Points better and more naturally for me than any long arm I've used. Very nicely balance when used with 15-round magazines. 30-round magazines are available but are clumsy in my view. Don't be scared of a reload, it's easy as pie and quick as a wink. 2 1/2-inch groups are no trick from a bench rest at 100 yards. Have seen some Carbines that could best 2-inch groups. Easy hits may be made to 200 yards without excessive trajectory issues and hits may be made at 300 yards with good results with a few ranging shots. Remaining penetrating power is surprising at such a range when using FMJ. Put it this way: a disused, junky mid/late-60s single-wide mobile home is not proof against the .30 Carbine round at 300 yards. There's no place inside where one could hide and be safe from its through-and-through penetration. Automobile interiors are no match for .30 Carbine either. Not even older autos made with thicker materials.

The AR 15 in most of its various iterations is clumsy and ill-balanced by comparison to the trim Carbine. Not a popular view now days but one I hold. If I want or need more power than is offered by the .30 Carbine then I'll reach right past my own AR 15 for something in the full-powered .30 caliber range like a .308 or .30-06.

On the flip side, the .223 is so much more available and inexpensive.

Observations after limited experience with close shooting acquaintances' "reproduction" carbines such as the Universal makes me want to avoid them. There may be some newer reproductions that are first rate but I'm unfamiliar with them.

Good originals are always appropriate and worth the expense in my view, both for shooting qualities and for historical significance. More bang for your buck that way.

Handloading is your friend for .30 Carbine ammunition.

The October of 1943 production Underwood (center) that's lived here for many happy and useful years. High round count has not fazed it yet.

My dad with his Quality Hardward and Machine Co. Carbine, he's had since 1945. I grew up on this one. Also has sustained a pretty high round count, especially when I was young.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    If you are a member of an affiliated club check out the CMP, I have bought three Garands and an M-1 Carbine through them. Rather than purchase them on-line I stopped off at the Anniston, AL store on a trip to Texas. When I first went into the store I just had to stand there in awe for a few minutes before picking out my rifles. If you do go to the store frequently they will have rifles that are not on their website such as M-1903 Springfields.

CMP Sales
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Remaining penetrating power is surprising at such a range when using FMJ. Put it this way: a disused, junky mid/late-60s single-wide mobile home is not proof against the .30 Carbine round at 300 yards. There's no place inside where one could hide and be safe from its through-and-through penetration. Automobile interiors are no match for .30 Carbine either. Not even older autos made with thicker materials.
    I'm guessing a Texas boy would have empirical knowledge of this...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Remaining penetrating power is surprising at such a range when using FMJ. Put it this way: a disused, junky mid/late-60s single-wide mobile home is not proof against the .30 Carbine round at 300 yards. There's no place inside where one could hide and be safe from its through-and-through penetration. Automobile interiors are no match for .30 Carbine either. Not even older autos made with thicker materials.
    I'm guessing a Texas boy would have empirical knowledge of this...
    Heck, anyone who's been to a machine gun shoot also knows this. Funny, what a decent M1/M2 can do to a junker car at 100yds. And it's really funny (fun, too!) what happens to the same car when another 50 folks are firing away with stouter stuff ... MG42, BAR, mini gun, etc.

Machine guns (and M1's) ain't just for Texas boys.
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Come on over to the "Dark Side" of M1 Carbine ownership.

I have a cheap Universal M1 (needs extractor fixed before it's operational again) and I LOVE the M1 Carbine platform. It is perhaps my all time favorite small rifle. I'd like to have a dozen of them if possible. Even though I have a Universal M1 I would stay away from them unless it is a very early model. Iver Johnson and Plainfield also made GI versions of the Carbine but I have not had any experience with them, they also may be hard to find.

You can't go wrong with them. They are light, fast, great self-defense rifle and can accommodate a 30 round magazine as well. The ballistics are comparable to the .357 Magnum.

Many of the surplus USGI Carbines need some inspection to make sure they are durable. Kahr is making some good ones but I don't know anything at all about them or reliability.

Good luck in your search and may the gun gods shine upon you and your M1 choice!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I too had a Universal. Looked good but every spent casing would plink me in the head. One of the few guns I've not regretted selling. Was lucky enough to find a beauty manufactured by the Rock-Ola juke box company of Chicago, complete with hundreds of rounds, a bunch of various sized mags, bayonet, and John Wayne Iwo Jima canvas mag holder. Very cool historic piece that has gone bang every time. You won't be sorry with the real deal.
    JoJoGunn, msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.

I am NOT a collector of historical guns, but I have always admired historical American rifles. I always thought the M1 Carbine was a nice looking weapon, so I bought a new production model from Auto-Ordnance. Other than you have to raid your retirement account to afford the ammo, it is a fun weapon to shoot! On the practical side, it is a weapon that almost anyone could put into action if necessary: The action is smooth and straight-forward, and the sights are easy to use and accurate at a self-defense distance. Not by any means an assault rifle, offensive weapon, or long-range shooter, for the purpose of close-in self defense (ie, inside a home), by relatively untrained shooters, I would call it an excellent tool....

I carried an M-2 Carbine in Viet Nam for awhile. Every few years, I get the urge to buy an M-1 Carbine and I do. Then I decide I need a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine to pair with it and I buy one. I shoot the heck out of them for awhile and then they become safe queens. I sell both of them and then a few years later, I get another pair. I sold my forth pair just over a year ago.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I carried an M-2 Carbine in Viet Nam for awhile. Every few years, I get the urge to buy an M-1 Carbine and I do. Then I decide I need a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine to pair with it and I buy one. I shoot the heck out of them for awhile and then they become safe queens. I sell both of them and then a few years later, I get another pair. I sold my forth pair just over a year ago.
    I've got an AMT automag in 30 carbine to go with my M1s. Muzzle blast is extreme. You don't shoot this without ear protection. (Shouldn't shoot anything without ear protection, but especially not the 30 carbine pistols.)
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    I've got an AMT automag in 30 carbine to go with my M1s. Muzzle blast is extreme. You don't shoot this without ear protection. (Shouldn't shoot anything without ear protection, but especially not the 30 carbine pistols.)
    Shooting the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine will clear the shooting line. I wear double ear protection when I shoot one.
    ccw9mm and Gunnutty like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links