New Rifle - Robinson Armament XCR

This is a discussion on New Rifle - Robinson Armament XCR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I mentioned in another thread , I've been looking for a new defensive rifle, something with better ergonomics and easier to find magazines for ...

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been looking for a new defensive rifle, something with better ergonomics and easier to find magazines for than a .223 AK. So, as sort of a post-Christmas present, I went out and bought a Robinson Armament XCR. The XCR has been fairly aptly described as AR-15 ergonomics wrapped around AK-47 reliability and it is pretty much what I've been looking for.

The lower receiver looks pretty much like an AR-15: same grip, same mag well (it takes AR mags), and magazine release and safety in the same places. There are some differences: the bolt release is on the trigger guard and the non-reciprocating charging handle is on the left side (similar to the FAL). There is no separate forward assist, but you can push the charging handle in and forward to push the bolt closed. It's got a full length rail on top, plus rails at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock on the forearm.

Inside, things look an awful lot like an AK (though it's not quite as close as the exterior resemblance to an AR). Field stripping is easy, no tools required, no small parts, just push the recoil spring forward and it breaks open. The recoil spring, gas piston/op-rod, bolt carrier, and bolt slide right out. Since I've got an AK in .223, I attached a picture of the two bolts next to each other and the similarities are obvious: big extractor, three big locking lugs, groove for the fixed ejector. Barrel can be changed out in a couple of minutes (and can be swapped for one in 6.8mm Remington or 7.62x39mm).

I took it out to the range on Thursday and shot 70 rounds. Only hiccup was one stovepipe. That concerns me a little bit, but the manual says to give it a 300 round break-in period, so I'm not sweating it too much. The rifle shot very nicely, and felt better in my hands than my AK. Little touches like the safety, bolt hold-open and easier mag changes were really nice.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I really like this rifle! I think it's going to make a good home defense/SHTF weapon. The only downsides are the price ($1460, I could've gotten a decent AR for $500 less), and the fact that it's a much less common weapon, which puts it at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to repairs/spare parts (my serial number is in the 500s, so there aren't many of them around).

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I've got some AR magson the way, along with an EOTech sight to put on that top rail . I'm also thinking about a flashlight to go on one of the forearm rails, though I don't want to go hanging too much stuff on it.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting this thread....I just read, today no less, a review on the rifle in the magazine "Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement."

Despite the price, you do get a rifle that will/should run cleaner than an AR thanks to the gas system.

Enjoy the rifle!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Keep us updated on this rifle. I am very interested in it and it answers all the problems I find with AR family. Price is a little high, but not much more than an AR with flat-top upper, railed forearm, rail covers, and folding sights.

Still if I had that much money on hand it would be hard to decide between the XRC and an M1A.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Dang that's tough, enjoy!

Links