My Very First AR Build... Dissy Fever!

This is a discussion on My Very First AR Build... Dissy Fever! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After nearly a year of research, videos, and reading countless threads on various forums, I have finally built my first AR(part of the reason I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My Very First AR Build... Dissy Fever!

My Very First AR Build... Dissy Fever!

After nearly a year of research, videos, and reading countless threads on various forums, I have finally built my first AR(part of the reason I haven't been around for a few months).

I was scared at first. The thought of building my own rifle seemed like it would be very complicated. In the beginning of the whole process the thought of putting a lower together and installing all the detents and springs had my head about to explode. I envisioned parts and springs flying across the room LOL. Once I had all the parts gathered and got started, I couldn't have been more wrong. With the help of a few detailed videos on YouTube things went together surprisingly easy. The only hiccup I encountered in the entire process was getting a bum armorers wrench from Brownells. Two of the pins sheared off trying to install the free float barrel nut, which damaged the nut beyond use. Brownells however replaced the broken wrench, they also replaced the barrel nut even though I bought it from someone else... That's first class right there!

One thing I can't stress enough to others considering building their own AR... INVEST IN THE PROPER TOOLS! I'm sure I could have built my rifle with every day tools, but having the right stuff made all the difference in the world. Especially the Armorers Wrench, a good 3in vice, torque wrench, and some AR Vice Blocks.

Here's a pic of the finished rifle:

AR.jpg

The Parts used:

Surplus Ammo & Arms stripped Upper and Lower. They're made by Aero Precision which I originally planned to go with until I saw the SAA Lower with the Retcile logo.
    WMD Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group.
    BCM Gunfighter Ambi Charging Handle.
    Black Hole Weaponry 16in Barrel. 5.56 Mid Length with 1:8 Polygonal rifling.
    Yankee Hill Comp/Flash muzzle device. I really wanted a Daniel Defense Superior Suppression Device, but they aren't making them any longer.
    Yankee Hill Todd Jarrett 15in Free Float Handguard with End Cap.
    Midwest Industries Low Profile Gas Block and gas tube.
    CMMG Lower Parts Kit... near dummy proof to install with the color coded bags the parts come in.
    JP Enhanced Trigger Springs.
    Ergo Pistol Grip.
    GL Mag Adjustable Stock from The Mako Group.
    Polymer Folding Sights from The Mako Group.

Still want to add an Ambi Safety Selector, a better Bolt Release, and a quick detach sling mount. Otherwise it's finished.

I've always been in love with the "Dissipator" look. Decided to base my first AR build on that style. Considered going with a 300BLK build but decided against it due to ammo prices and availability. I still might build a 300Blk upper to throw on the lower eventually. All in all I am very pleased with my first try. Sure, it's a FrankenAR... but there's a special satisfaction in building what I wanted myself.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

2. Remove Ads

I am a big fan of mock dissy's, as they combine most of the advantages of a full length rifle with the compact size of a carbine. Your rifle looks good, let us know how it shoots.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Very nice!

I think I just found my hand guard. NICE!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Awesome job!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I see no mention of headspace gauges in your list. It is important to check headspace. If everything is in spec, you should have no worries. Sometimes parts go out of the factory not quite up to par, like the barrel nut wrench. That is a very nice handguard, the gun looks great. Good job.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Very very very NICE! Warning this is a dangerous addiction worse than crack!
    SCXDm9 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Lead Moderator
    Good looking AR.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Solid looking rifle. It looks like it's begging for an optic, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I see no mention of headspace gauges in your list. It is important to check headspace. If everything is in spec, you should have no worries. Sometimes parts go out of the factory not quite up to par, like the barrel nut wrench. That is a very nice handguard, the gun looks great. Good job.

You are correct, I wasn't able to find the proper headspace gauges. Nobody had the 5.56 gauges in stock and I wasn't paying the Gun Broker price for the few sets listed. I did however take it to a gunsmith at a shop a few towns over and had him make sure it was right. Everything was perfect.

Glad you all like the rifle. I really put a lot of time and thought into how I wanted it to look... maybe too much lol
    I suffer from CDO

The way it should be!

Very nice job! Good looking AR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet looking gun. As was mentioned earlier let us know how it shoots.

I'm thinking of a 330blk upper myself. I might have to work on it this summer.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Question

For the noobs: what is a 'dissy'?

Nice looking gun, there. Congrats on your new build.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Dissy is slang for Dissipator
    I suffer from CDO

The way it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For the noobs: what is a 'dissy'?
    Dissy is slang for Dissipator
    And what's a "Dissipator"? Is that also slang, a product, a build style, ...?

* Obviously, I'm not an AR guy. Have had one. About the only thing it would "dissipate" at the time would have been a string of BG's had they decided to invade my home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links