Just Acquired an AK-47 - Page 2

Just Acquired an AK-47

This is a discussion on Just Acquired an AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cheaper then dirt has it listed in catalog but if you check websight it is back ordered, unavailable. I have just gone through all the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Acquired an AK-47

Cheaper then dirt has it listed in catalog but if you check websight it is back ordered, unavailable. I have just gone through all the ammo sights I know of and no good prices or notr available.

I found Ammo on The Sportsman Guide web sight , a can of 640 rds for 107.97 (about 2.20 for 50 rds), said limited quanity, I sent my order in .after order processed the printable reciept said approx availability March 5 2007. I will get it but have to wait till March.

I also ordered 12 pack 30 rd blued steel Magazine for 79.97, at least they have them and will ship.

If you haven't visited http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml, you should do so.

The site is titled Romanian but the tutorials and general information apply to nearly every AK type rifle.
    No guns, no peace.
    Know guns, know peace.

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    7.62x39 still seems to be reasonably priced...(plus with my low level of marksmanship, reliable is more important than accurate)
    You know what they say... you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight. Reliable is only as reliable as your accuracy is.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I need to find some where I can buy multiple extra mags for my AK.
    I bought here:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/

You might also try here:
    http://www.onesourcetactical.com/

now you have done it. pelosi is coming for you. run, run far away.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I ordered 12 mags from Sportsmans Guide, and 640 rounds of ammo, Mags are on the way ,ammo is back ordered.

It looks as if everyoe is either stocking up or all the russian ammo is going to terrorist because everywhere I look they are either out or its backordered.

I finally got around to shooting the AK

WOW! I'm in love!

Too bad I don't smoke because after my range session I really should have lit up a cigarette.

I'm a real rifle rookie. I have an M-1 Garand, a Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser and now the AK-47. Both the Garand and Mauser are fun to shoot but not the best choice as a "battle" gun.

I now know why the AK-47 make such a **** SHTF gun. The trigger was crisp and the reset distance very short. Since this was the first time shooting the gun, I didn't shoot very fast even close up, but I can see that with very little practice I could score reasonable hits within 25 yards firing fairly quickly. Add to that a few 30 round magazines and it makes a formidable weapon.

I'll stop with that but right now I'm feeling kinda'

I guess the next step should be one of Suarez's basic defensive Kalashnikov classes.

I stopped at G.I. Joes the other day and they had Wolf ammo for $3.99 for a box of 20. They would only let me buy 5 boxes, said it was the store policy. I'll have to go back to get more.

Good for you. This is indeed next on my "to buy" list. Anyone in SC got one they want to do some trading on? I did see a minty one in the rack the other day for $400.

VIP Member
    Good price ammo is hard to come by. At the gunshow a couple of weekends ago I seen only one bothe that had a 1000 round lot he would let go. He wanted $180 for the lot. I should of bought it.

Assistant Administrator
    Wow - effective pricing for ammo now $180-$200!! Shucks. How things have changed.

I still have (and am keeping aside) two cases of Wolf - bought from gun shows for about $80 each - maybe just 2 years ago! The remains of an open case will not be burned up quite as I used to either!! Not good.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I don't know why everyone loves the AK so much more than the AR, even though I own the AK and not an AR at the moment. I can field strip the AR much more quickly, have had the same number of problems with them (which is none). The main advantage I see is that the AK will shoot forever if it is dirty. But, I have never in my life let a gun get that dirty, so I don't see it as a factor. Truth be told, I have the rifle I have because of an odd string of events. I love it, but I don't know that I'll ever claim that the AK is superior to the AR.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Echo-four: Part of the reason is probably that the AK is much cheaper, the ammo is cheaper. In a case where cleaning supplies are scarce, the the AK more comfort knowing that one doesn't have to clean it right away. If hoorors be that you drop it in the mud, you know that you can pick it up shake out the mud and it will still fire.

It has a couple of advantages. But so does the AR. But I would pretty much place them equal to each other. The AK will tolerate a bit more dirty and its cheaper to buy one as is already pointed out. The AR rounds are a bit smaller so you can carry more and its rate of fire can be a tad faster if you can achieve it. I recently watched a show on Military Channel titled something like 10 best battle rifles of all times. And the AK and AR were 1st and 2nd respectively. A very close 2nd the AR was in their opinion. They would probably be equal if you took the cleaning part away. And most of us can ignore that to some extent because we do clean them regularly. It's not as finicky in that regard. Then it might have a slight advantage even for ability to carry ammo. I think that was a fairly fair assessment too. So you would be well served with either of them in our world.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    It has a couple of advantages. But so does the AR. But I would pretty much place them equal to each other. The AK will tolerate a bit more dirty and its cheaper to buy one as is already pointed out. The AR rounds are a bit smaller so you can carry more and its rate of fire can be a tad faster if you can achieve it. I recently watched a show on Military Channel titled something like 10 best battle rifles of all times. And the AK and AR were 1st and 2nd respectively. A very close 2nd the AR was in their opinion. They would probably be equal if you took the cleaning part away. And most of us can ignore that to some extent because we do clean them regularly. It's not as finicky in that regard. Then it might have a slight advantage even for ability to carry ammo. I think that was a fairly fair assessment too. So you would be well served with either of them in our world.

I agree with the show. Both have pros and cons. But I think, at least I do, When you are purchasing an AK you are trying to purchase the best SHTF rifle for the least amount of money. And the AK fits the bill for that. Everything else for this rifle comes second. And as far as cleaning, well in battle do you want to worry about keeping your weapon clean. I don't!!! I know most battles last for minutes but some do last for days. Cleaning my rifle is something I do not want to worry about.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links