Just Acquired an AK-47

This is a discussion on Just Acquired an AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't believe, if you ask the guys in the field, that they will need to be cleaned during a battle. They just need it ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Acquired an AK-47

I don't believe, if you ask the guys in the field, that they will need to be cleaned during a battle. They just need it at some point before the AK will. The issue is that they cannot go Years or Months without a cleaning, as was determined when they were first field tested. They sent them over to Nam telling them they NEVER had to be cleaned. And did not provide any cleaning equipment. And found out later that this was not so. So, if they did not last days or even weeks or even months without cleaning they would not be in the field today. It's just that eventualy they will need it to remove carbon. So, its perhaps overblown. But it's a valid reason to score it a tad lower. So I agree. Is it reason enough to not trust your life on it? No... it has proven itself to not be an issue there for many years in battle. But this is the reason a forward assist was adopted so as to even extend that period. It is almost a non issue however... it cannot be said it is not an issue. That cannot be denied. I just don't think that sometimes its not exagerated. It obviously is not as great a concern as some might think it is. And there is no doubt that the AK is cheaper. However the advantage of cheaper ammo is dwindling.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Cheap ammo is for sure a thing of the past. And when I was talking about cleaning, I didn't figure in carbon build up. I was thinking more along the line of dirt and sand from your weapon hitting the ground. I'm not knocking the AR. I like to own one. They are a great weapon! But is the AR a better SHTF weapon, I do not feel so. And that is not just my opinion, that is the opinion of most the world!!!!

I personaly do too. However... I want both.

For one thing, if you were say.... attacked by some other country (humor me here) then you can shoot the invaders with your AR.... and take thier AK ammo and go from there. Because likely is... they are going to be carrying AK's.

Well, I for one, am happy for ya! Congratulations! Great choice! I'm putting a slinky, sexy black dress on my AK, much to the disgust of the AK Purists.

VIP Member

Thats funny

If you fix it up like this would it be less likely to cause concern?

M2
    Wow, this was a great thread (I too am looking for a nice AK to add to my gun collection) all the way up to the post prior to mine.

Sorry, but that hippy-pink AR just made me want to

Guns are made for , not a -pride parade!

Cheers! M2

Not that we're engaging in thread drift here, but that is a picture of the Barbie AR, not the evil black AK. It matches Ken's Hummer........

Now, back to AK's.............

Look at some of these for toys:

http://riflestocks.com/

http://www.ultimak.com/buy.htm

This is a neat thread too, complements of Phil Elmore:

http://www.themartialist.com/0107/akstocks.htm

Enjoy your AK!

M2
    Well, not to revive the picture of the hippy AR; but I went to the SAXET gun show here in San Antonio this morning and walked out with a new Century Arms Yugo M70AB2 for $550. There were a lot of used WASZR-10s for sale but for another $100 more I preferred the M70 with the underfold stock. Needless to say I am in love with this weapon, despite not having fired it yet nor the AKM I am "gunsitting" for a bud in Iraq. But as he was kind enough to leave me 200 rounds of 7.62 that he didn't want back, I will be getting to the range as soon as I can.

Another motivating factor was that future SAXET shows in San Antonio are on hold as the current location has been sold to develop a hotel (it is near the airport). At the soonest it will be two months before they can find an alternate location, but it could be longer. I figured I couldn't wait that long, so I just had to grab the M70 now!

I am also a lucky man as SWMBO had no problem with me bringing it home. I couldn't have married a finer woman!

Cheers! M2

I have heard that where the AR achieves its superiority is beyond 200 yards.

My reasons for getting the AK are:

1) I got the AK for around $500. I would have to spend a lot more for a good AR .

2) I don't plan on having to shoot long distances. As a SHTF gun, I probably won't be shooting anyone at ranges further away than 50 yards.

3) The ammo is cheaper

4) The phrase, "I have an AK-47" seems to alarm the anti's more than "I have an AR-15", and as we all know, if you can alarm an anti in the afternoo, you sleep better at night.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Just bought ... three 30 round mags.
    Time to get 4-5 more. If for no other reason that to tick off officialdom.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just Joined the Club myself this Saturday.

Picked up a really nice Arsenal SA-93 sporting some pretty Cherry furniture. All been debanned with threaded barrel and 45 degree flash hider, bayo lug front sights and everything along with the original furniture I got another set of Black plastic furniture with it... a set of various Mags (10,20 and 30) and Chinese 75 round drum... original Bayonet and everything. Sweet solid Bulgarian built thing.

So, with this and my Colt AR, I believe I now have two of the best of the two evil rifles that I needed for my collection.

Here she is...

The price of ammo is going up so you all better stock up,I am.

Yep. Already on it. Have a case on order.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links