Just Acquired an AK-47

This is a discussion on Just Acquired an AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That rifle's a beauty, cphilip! Better get more than 1 case of ammo...it goes pretty fast through those AK's......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Acquired an AK-47

VIP Member
    That rifle's a beauty, cphilip! Better get more than 1 case of ammo...it goes pretty fast through those AK's...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

CPhilip - Good lookin' gun.

Makes me want to go home and play with mine!

Followup question: what do you guys think about the polymer mags. I have two metal and one polymer. I kinda' like the polymer one best so far.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    That rifle's a beauty, cphilip! Better get more than 1 case of ammo...it goes pretty fast through those AK's...
    Its all can afford! hehehe...

I will tell her you like her.

I don't have any polymers so cannot offer any advice. I have three Mags. All metal. Not correct Waffles. And I have the Chinese Drum. Need to find at least one 30 round Waffle though.

Geeze guys, I'm trying to pay off a new G19 and I want to C&R an EG Makarov next but now you bring up battle rifles ... I might just have to put the Mak off until later and "rifle up" next. Not much chance I'd ever NEED it but I think New Orleans proved anything can happen.

The shop where I'm getting the G19 has a nice selection of ARs and M1As, not sure if they carry AKs but they've got a great layaway plan. Might have to look around next time I'm in there ... hrmmmmmm.
    Jack

I just put a Romanian AK on lay away (hey, that kind of rhimes!). I did find a deal on mags @ sportsman's guide that I could not pass up. I paid $71 for 12 used 30 round mags. They came in the mail yesterday. They appear to be in decent shape-some wear, but no obvious problems (dents or rust), so I have 12 AK mags and no AK YET. I can't wait to pick it up in a couple of weeks.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I love my yugo m 70 shoots straight shoots great. Put an xs 24/7 front sight on it. now an ultimack with an aimpoint is going on it this weekend. Did I mention I love this rifle

M2
    My Century Yugo M70 is at Century having its sights un-canted. Turned out the front one was way out of whack. Pissed me off, but luckily I have the Norinco I am still babysitting. I just hope my M70AB2 comes back shooting as straight as an arrow, as other than the sights being off I love it!

Cheers! M2

I've never had a AK, but I do have some of those 'scary black rifles'. And i love both of them. They are more expensive than the AK's, but in my opinion you're getting your money's worth. I have a Colt M4 and a Armalite AR-10. The AR-10 gets a little expensive to shoot, but you'd really like an M4. I have a Mini-30 that I always thought was similar enough to an AK and I like it to. For a combat rifle, I don't think the AR plaform can be beat in my opinion.

So, how many 30 round magazines does one "need" for an AK/AR?

I bought several at the last show, cheap, but was wondering about that. All I really 'need' is probably one. I bought a couple 'just in case'. I 'd probably buy a bunch if I could a great deal like was mentioned a few messages ago, but how many would one need for even a really bad STHF situation? I have trouble envisioning needing more than one or two probably, as I'm not planning on having to fight off the UN or the Chinese Army if something bad happened. I know some people don't feel comfortable without several hundred rounds loaded into high-cap magazines. Not making fun of anyone at all, I just am curious, what's your thinking behind doing that?

I figure at least 4 Magazines per AK47, since I have 13 Magazines I need at least 4 more rifles since you allways get at least 1 mag per rifle. One can never have too many rifles. Besides, that way I can have different types. But If I could find 4 more MAK91's I would go that way to.

Congrats, on your first step into the darkside
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

Congrats, I really want one too, but don't really want to add one more caliber to the ammo bunker. LOL
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

M2
    OK, at the gun show this weekend someone had a "Reasons To Own An AK" list up that was pretty damn funny! Some were along the lines of "because it pisses the liberals off" and such. Does anyone have a copy? I wanted to take a picture, but no cameras were allowed in the show.

Also, I got a Bulgarian AK-74 bayonet for my M70AB2, making the scary black assault rifle even more scarier! I love it. Here are some quick pics...

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    CPhilip - Good lookin' gun.

Makes me want to go home and play with mine!

Followup question: what do you guys think about the polymer mags. I have two metal and one polymer. I kinda' like the polymer one best so far.
    Gabe Suarez tests gear pretty hard, and he only endorses the Bulgarian polymers, from what I recall. Folks are talking about the number of mags-I would say at least 12/weapon. This gives you a "combat load" of 6, with 6 restock/replacements at home. More mags means barter ability, replacement springs, baseplates, bodies and followers.

If you have 4 mags for your weapon, and two get ditched when you have to lose some weight to get your kids out of the car in a flood (ala Katrina, or New Mexico in flashflood season), and the 3rd one gets irreparably bent when you fall on it, against the curb, you have 20-30 rounds that will go faster than you would believe, followed by a reload that's slower than a modern bolt.. If you're thinking "SHTF", the think SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Gabe Suarez tests gear pretty hard, and he only endorses the Bulgarian polymers, from what I recall. Folks are talking about the number of mags-I would say at least 12/weapon. This gives you a "combat load" of 6, with 6 restock/replacements at home. More mags means barter ability, replacement springs, baseplates, bodies and followers.

If you have 4 mags for your weapon, and two get ditched when you have to lose some weight to get your kids out of the car in a flood (ala Katrina, or New Mexico in flashflood season), and the 3rd one gets irreparably bent when you fall on it, against the curb, you have 20-30 rounds that will go faster than you would believe, followed by a reload that's slower than a modern bolt.. If you're thinking "SHTF", the think SHTF.
    Man! I only have 4!!!! I guess I will just hurry down to my neighborhood gun store and stock up.

I just have to practice my excuses. "Honey, I don't want to spend any money but Rob72 said I HAVE to have 8 more 30 round magazines".

My real problem is that I have NEVER gone into a gun store without buying a lot more than I planned to.

Oh, well. We'll see how it goes.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links