Remington 700P LTR?

This is a discussion on Remington 700P LTR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay.. okay... I know what you're thinking but please hear me out. I'm in the market for a precision bolt-action rifle, and I have been ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.

Thread: Remington 700P LTR?

Remington 700P LTR?

Okay.. okay... I know what you're thinking but please hear me out.

I'm in the market for a precision bolt-action rifle, and I have been for quite some time. I'm .mil and I've been interested in the Remington series of tactical rifles ever since being introduced to them in the military, and I've always been particularly drawn to the Remington 700 Police. From what I've read about this gun, it's an excellent bare bones cut to the chase tactical rifle and is heavily used by various Law Enforcement entities throughout the world.

Basically, I think the gun is freakin' sick, but lately I've had a new calling for a rifle... deer hunting! Come next fall/winter I'm going to be hitting the woods for rifle season but I haven't got a good deer rifle yet... you might see where this is going!

Essentially, I think the Remington 700 Police would cover all my basis for both a hunting rifle, precision target/range/plinking gun, and maybe even a defensive arm in the right situation (though that is probable highly unlikely).

Now I know the stock 700P is a pretty long and heavy gun with it's 26" barrel, but I've recently become aware of the Remington 700P LTR model... which is basically the same gun but with a 20" fluted bbl that reduces the gun's dimensions and weight to make it more maneuverable in the tactical environment. I think this would be my best option considering I will have to carry it around while hunting.

So what do you think about this crazy idea? Is this totally stupid or should I go ahead and seek out a Remington 700P LTR as an all-purpose precision rifle that I would be stoked to own?

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Ads

Rem 700 SPS Varmint .243, here, with heavy 26" bbl, with both the standard composite factory stock and a custom fiberglass stock for benchrest-style shooting.

Most definitely, I would not appreciate having to lug that bad boy all across the backwoods on a hunt. I'd much prefer a trimmer package, for hunting, particularly if expecting to do shots from various positions. But that's just me.

If going for the 26" bbl set up, the 700P TWS .308 looks interesting, with kevlar stock, bipod and all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My 700 ADL has always done the job. If you need to attack the deer with a military mindset, why not do so with the weapon of choice? Get it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Get the Remington 700SP? (tactical police model) if that's what you really want. But understand it is not really a deer rifle that you will want to drag over hill and dale. I would recommend getting a second inexpensive rifle such as a Ruger American or Savage/ Stevens both can be had for about $350 new. (BTW, don't be surprised if those "cheap" rifles shoot as good as your Remington with a whole lot less weight!) You didn't mention caliber but I would get the American or Savage in .270 which would be pretty close to ideal for deer in your area. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    OP I think you need a reality check. You are going to deer hunt? GREAT! Go get a Remington 700 made for hunting.

You have a 100% chance of hunting.
    You have less than a 1% chance of suddenly finding yourself in need of a tactical bolt action rifle in a SD scenario.

Get a hunting rifle in .308 and it will be able to fill both roles without weighing you down. Just so you understand me, a hunting .308 will do anything a tactical .308 will do for you. The only difference is the weight and price of the gun.

ytarget2.jpg

ytarget1.jpg

This group is 3 tenths of an inch fired at 100 yards with my 700 BDL in .308.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OP I think you need a reality check. You are going to deer hunt? GREAT! Go get a Remington 700 made for hunting.

You have a 100% chance of hunting.
    You have less than a 1% chance of suddenly finding yourself in need of a tactical bolt action rifle in a SD scenario.

Get a hunting rifle in .308 and it will be able to fill both roles without weighing you down. Just so you understand me, a hunting .308 will do anything a tactical .308 will do for you. The only difference is the weight and price of the gun.

ytarget2.jpg

ytarget1.jpg

This group is 3 tenths of an inch fired at 100 yards with my 700 BDL in .308.
    Well good for you! Want a cookie?

Obviously you didn't read my post very well, did ya? Hunting is not the ONLY thing I will be using the gun for. I intend to get into precision target shooting, and I'm interested in the gun from a historical/second kind of cool (reference Nutnfancy on YouTube) reason. Hunting will be a secondary mission for the rifle. Primary mission will be range/target use, with tertiary mission POSSIBLE defensive use with a stand-off capability.

VIP Member
    So what do you think about this crazy idea? Is this totally stupid or should I go ahead and seek out a Remington 700P LTR as an all-purpose precision rifle that I would be stoked to own?
    You asked and I answered. It's stupid for all of the reasons listed in my post and the three above it. Have a nice day.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugeroo357 View Post

I'm in the market for a precision bolt-action rifle, and I have been for quite some time. I'm .mil and I've been interested in the Remington series of tactical rifles ever since being introduced to them in the military, and I've always been particularly drawn to the Remington 700 Police. From what I've read about this gun, it's an excellent bare bones cut to the chase tactical rifle and is heavily used by various Law Enforcement entities throughout the world.

Basically, I think the gun is freakin' sick, but lately I've had a new calling for a rifle... deer hunting! Come next fall/winter I'm going to be hitting the woods for rifle season but I haven't got a good deer rifle yet... you might see where this is going!

Essentially, I think the Remington 700 Police would cover all my basis for both a hunting rifle, precision target/range/plinking gun, and maybe even a defensive arm in the right situation (though that is probable highly unlikely).

Now I know the stock 700P is a pretty long and heavy gun with it's 26" barrel, but I've recently become aware of the Remington 700P LTR model... which is basically the same gun but with a 20" fluted bbl that reduces the gun's dimensions and weight to make it more maneuverable in the tactical environment. I think this would be my best option considering I will have to carry it around while hunting.

Thanks for your help!
    I have a few Remington 700's all CDL models and they make great Hunting/precision target/range and plinking rifles. They would even work awesome as defensive weapons.

Nowhere have you said that you would use it as a tactical weapon, If you want a rifle for hunting/target/range(and defense although as you put it "highly unlikely") I would get a hunting model.

BUT...... It is your money, go hunting with the police version if that is what you want.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I have something similar to what you're looking for, but in .223:

REM 700 XCR Compact Tactical:

It's slightly different than the P models, due to trigger (40X), finish and fluting. Very accurate little rifle and with the 20" barrel, not bad carrying. Mine has a 6-20X Leupold MK 4 tactical scope, which IMHO too much for deer, but works well for targets and varmints. I use mine for muskrat/beaver control on my 9 acre pond, and I shoot out to 500M off my back deck.

I think if you're primarily stand hunting the 700P will serve you well depending on your optic choice. It would not be my 1st choice for still hunting/stalking though, just too heavy and the extra weight isn't needed, repeatable accuracy with a heavy barrel and long shot strings isn't needed either. Your average sporter is plenty accurate for game hunting, so if that's your primary use, I'd stick to a standard sporting configuration.

Chuck
    5lima30ret likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

I use my 700 SPS 308 for long range to 980 yds and deer hunting to 50 to 200 yards. Load my tarrget as well as my hunting loads.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Get the Remington 700SP? (tactical police model) if that's what you really want. But understand it is not really a deer rifle that you will want to drag over hill and dale. I would recommend getting a second inexpensive rifle such as a Ruger American or Savage/ Stevens both can be had for about $350 new. (BTW, don't be surprised if those "cheap" rifles shoot as good as your Remington with a whole lot less weight!) You didn't mention caliber but I would get the American or Savage in .270 which would be pretty close to ideal for deer in your area. Good luck!
    Don't mean to Hijack this post but my son has one in 223 cal. My question is this, will the 700SP fire 556 cal or only 223cal?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Contact Remington. I know some makers will handle both, being marked ".223," but I don't know about Rem. The actual difference is in the barrel leade, which is longer for 5.56 rounds.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rugeroo357 View Post

Thanks for your help!
    I hunted with my Rem 700P for years. It has a great stock and do sub-moa if you do your job.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Links