Ghost ring sights

Ghost ring sights

This is a discussion on Ghost ring sights within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the market to get a home defense shotgun. I've narrowed it down to the Remington 887, the Mossberg 500, or the Benelli ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ghost ring sights

Ghost ring sights

I am in the market to get a home defense shotgun. I've narrowed it down to the Remington 887, the Mossberg 500, or the Benelli supernova. I would like to have ghost ring sights on the shotgun. The question I have is whether it's important to have them already installed or if I can buy them afterwords, and how much would that cost to add the sights after the fact? Would I have to have them installed by a gunsmith? What would the total cost be?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A ghost ring would be my choice for a HD shotgun. You can certainly add them afterwards. I don't know those guns well, but many HD-style shotguns are pre-tapped for rear sights, which the owner can utilize himself. Others may require gunsmithing, which is best left to them unless you have machinist's skills and the tooling. How much? That depends on the GS's rates and work required.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I use a large ghost ring rear sight and a rifle type front sight on my 870. A little Glo-On on the front and it is perfect!
    Ianthin and fredg53 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Yeah I know that's what I want. I'm waiting for a good deal in the local classifieds, but was trying to figure out if I should wait for one with ghost sights already installed or buy one after market?

I used Shotguns with ghost ring sights for years at work. I hate them on a shotgun, they cover to much of my view for close range work and that is what a shotgun is for. I prefer a simple bead or fiber optic front sight.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I used Shotguns with ghost ring sights for years at work. I hate them on a shotgun, they cover to much of my view for close range work and that is what a shotgun is for. I prefer a simple bead or fiber optic front sight.
    ^this is my take on putting them on a shottie as well. Don't need sights on a shottie unless you're going for slugs and distance shots.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    I'm in the same boat, the only time I'd want proper sights on a shotgun is shooting slugs, and then I'd want an optic or something nice... I don't really like rings at all.

I would go with a big glowing fiber optic, or even tritium front bead and leave the receiver smooth. maybe...MAYBE a red dot... a little one

To answer your question, or try to, the Benelli is an entry lelel, so your not getting what Benelli is known for, I mean it's still a good gun, but not an M4. Both it and the 887 are new enough they don't have the aftermarket support. form your list I'd go with the Mossberg simply because it has the most options. start with a 590 and dress it up from there. if you want a Benelli, and all their known for, save your coin and get a good one. The 887 is just an old 870 in fancy clothes, but with less aftermarket options.

my 2 cents
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Benelli m4 did not work out so great deployed.
    Ghost rings are great for get on it and shoot. I have them on a Savage 350 that will shoot what needs shooting for about 200 dollars and last a life time.

I can shoot a 6" group with slugs and a bead @ 25 yards off hand, probably better if I really tried. That is good enough for me, 12 gauge slugs are NO fun....
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

For home defense, IMO is see no reason to do anything other than the above....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Ok, then how much trouble would it be to add a fiber optic sight to a mossberg 500?

Distinguished Member
    Shotgun sights are really up to individual preference. I like my GR rear.
    Very happy with any shotgun signt or lack thereof for HD.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I have a ghost ring XS big dot combo on my rem 870 tac and I like it a lot.Remember personal preference come into play when dealing with a subject like this.

I came from a world of peep sight/vertical post type sights so adapting to a ghost ring was natural for me.The ghost ring I have on my 870 is not enclosed within a bracket so my field of view is not blocked.
    IMO it is a more adaptable system than people give credit to.
    The easy way is always mined.

My old gun store back east had a "bargain barrel of barrels" which provided me with a 20" barrel with open rifle sights for a good price. Good-sized front blade up front and a V-notch rear on the back end of the barrel. Just index the target with the front blade for quick or close shots, or use the rear sight if you need a more precise shot. I think the ghost ring might be less than ideal on a close-range defensive shotgun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have a 590 with ghost rings and a baikal with a bead, I can shoot the bead better in all situations, I have done 3 gun with both guns

The answer you original question, the only reasons not to get ghost rings with your gun new is either to try out the bead sight first or to install extras first such as a heat sheild(should be able to install a heatsheild with the sight on but Mossberg says to remove it).

If you have not shot a ghost ring shotgun I recommend borrowing ir renting one first, I bet you will like it but the bead is much better in every acpect of shotgunning.

If you have a vent rib barrel the fiberoptic sight is clamp on or screw on
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links