IWI Tavor

IWI Tavor

This is a discussion on IWI Tavor within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been waiting patiently for months to get my hands on one of these and every time my gun store had one, I didn't have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: IWI Tavor

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

IWI Tavor

I've been waiting patiently for months to get my hands on one of these and every time my gun store had one, I didn't have the money to put it on layaway. I told them to call me when they get one in and would like one in FDE but will accept black. I had the chance to fondle it when they did have it in stock and I like the compact size and the fact it accepts standard AR15 magazines. Yesterday my gun store called me while I was on my lunch break at work to tell me they got one IWI Tavor in with 16.5" barrel and in the FDE color I wanted. The guy told me he would put it on hold for me until the end of the day yesterday. I got there as fast as I could after work and put $300.00 plus the money I got off a consignment gun that was sold. The final price I'll be paying for this Tavor is $1,995.00. Its by far my most expensive firearm purchase.

For those of you who own this particular rifle, let me know how you like it. The reviews speak highly of it and I'm thrilled to finally get one and in the color I want!
    357and40 and StormRhydr like this.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Very nice! Please do a full range report/review on it. I have this high on my list myself. Got it in the right color also. Congrats on a great buy my friend
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

The guys at Military Arms Channel on YouTube love the Tavor, think they have a few videos and reviews on it.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Sponsor
    I've owned the Tavor for several months now. Left handed black furniture version [ didn't care what color I got and blk was available first ]. I sold my last remaining ar after I'd put 1k through the Tavor right out of the box, no cleaning/lubing it before or during the 1K, and it ran flawlessly. Mine sports an eotech with 1/2 riser. I needed the riser to get a proper cheek weld.
    QKShooter and .XX like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

That firearm makes me MOIST!!!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    A mind boggling amount of R&D and testing went into the Tavor prior to production. Hands Down. It is the best rifle of its genre on the market.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A mind boggling amount of R&D and testing went into the Tavor prior to production. Hands Down. It is the best rifle of its genre on the market.
    I read everything I could about the Israeli's developing and using it in the field over the last several years before pulling the trigger on purchase. I paid 1600 for mine, nearly cost through the shop I used to own. I've had about every bullpup design made, and this one is more ergo than any bullpup I've owned/handled so far. In southpaw mode no less.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    That firearm makes me MOIST!!!
    I'm quite happy with it myself

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    does anyone know what coating is on the bolt and internals? nickel boron? nitride salt bath like "tenifer"? it doesn't look chrome in the photos I see... it's not just blued...right? I know the bore and chamber are chromed. is the gas block chrome or something else? I've looked high and low and can't find it. IWI's website says "All internals have been treated for corrosion resistance." - be more vague next time, guys, seriously.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I picked her up today!

It is definitely different from what I'm used to with the AR and AK platforms. I heard some people say the trigger is decent but not great either and I can agree. The Tavor is one of the few modern combat rifles that comes with a tritium insert in the front sight which is a nice touch. With the magazine being behind the trigger instead of in front, it'll take some getting used to. A bullpup design is one way to get an SBR sized rifle without paying extra. The construction seems solid and the thing I like about it most is I don't have to buy all new magazines for it!
    tubadude likes this.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member
    That is one nice looking firearm.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I picked her up today!

It is definitely different from what I'm used to with the AR and AK platforms. I heard some people say the trigger is decent but not great either and I can agree. The Tavor is one of the few modern combat rifles that comes with a tritium insert in the front sight which is a nice touch. With the magazine being behind the trigger instead of in front, it'll take some getting used to. A bullpup design is one way to get an SBR sized rifle without paying extra. The construction seems solid and the thing I like about it most is I don't have to buy all new magazines for it!

The trigger issue, unfortunately, is one of the issues with ALL bullpups. Not a 'bad' trigger just a 'different' trigger.

I believe that Timney has released a Tavor trigger and that Geissele will release theirs soon if you want to upgrade. From my understanding of the Tavor, it should be a pretty easy upgrade.

I really really really want the FDE 18" version.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I believe that Timney has released a Tavor trigger and that Geissele will release theirs soon if you want to upgrade. From my understanding of the Tavor, it should be a pretty easy upgrade.

I really really really want the FDE 18" version.
    Correct, Timney is either making them currently or about to release them. They are just 20 miles from me, so when and if I decide my trigger needs an upgrade, I'll just bring the rifle to them and have it installed.

I shot my friends Tavor last week. He had a can on it. But as all ready been said the trigger sucks. Sure is a cute little thing and fun to play with.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links