Thermal imaging scope for <$300?

This is a discussion on Thermal imaging scope for <$300? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just saw a tiny new IPhone device & app that turns the camera into thermal imaging. I also noticed a bracket at a recent gunshow ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By ghost tracker
  • 4 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By BigBird451
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Thermal imaging scope for <$300?

Just saw a tiny new IPhone device & app that turns the camera into thermal imaging. I also noticed a bracket at a recent gunshow that interfaces the IPhone with a rifle scope. Since I already have the phone & scope(s), it seems a relatively inexpensive way to assemble a night-stalk nightmare for coyotes, feral pigs & two-legged varmints. Especially since a dedicated TI scope runs ~$4-9k.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'd want to try it first. My gen 3 ITT night vision scope cost me $3,000+ a few years ago.

Yep, but there's a BIG difference between night vision (requiring IR illumination or some degree of ambient light) and thermal imaging (requiring only a temperature variance). If I'm in a guille suit, you still can't see me. Yet you, in a guille suit, will still show up in my scope like a leggy blonde in a short skirt. I'll spent the coin to try it & report the results!
    baren, Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The last thermal optic I used was we'll over 15k. I cannot imagine a $300 unit being useful at all. Even the handheld spotters are $6,000 or more. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

We use FLIR cameras at work. I think those run about $6,500. I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything for $300
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Well Big Bird & Joncon, the new FLIR One happens to be the IPhone product with a MSRP of $350. With their existing reputation as a world-leader in TI technology, I'm gonna' give it a whirl. It's not like I'm buying zombie-branded defensive ammo from an eBay vendor in Honduras.
    Aceoky likes this.

I just googled it and will say it is interesting. I will want to see it tested more before I would bite.

FLIR One Gives Your iPhone Predator-Like Thermal Vision | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Well Big Bird & Joncon, the new FLIR One happens to be the IPhone product with a MSRP of $350. With their existing reputation as a world-leader in TI technology, I'm gonna' give it a whirl. It's not like I'm buying zombie-branded defensive ammo from an eBay vendor in Honduras.
    Im definitely not saying you shouldn't give it a try... I just wouldn't have any hope that it'll be an effective tool for the types of use if want it for.... which would mainly be night hunts.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    The only thing I've heard about them is they are pretty good for up close or indoor applications; but, have a very limited range. I can't remember where I saw them; but, I have seen some thermal scopes for around $1500. That was the absolute cheapest price I've seen.

Please come back and let us know after you do some testing.

-

VIP Member
    I would be appreciate a "range report". It sounds interesting, and I think someday/somehow the cost of FLIR will drop. At least I hope so.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Let y'all know ASAP on my findings. Yep, technology gets cheaper while ammo becomes pure unobtaininum. I guess I can soon enjoy photo safaris for...coyotes.

Administrator

it's quite interesting if it works.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Seems designed to work up close. Interesting nonetheless.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

FLIR is a trusted brand that I have worked with quite a bit. Being that their name is on it, makes me curious and worth a peak vs some off brand or knockoff like ATN or the like.

There are major "scale" differences within the FLIR brand example $3000 scout (considered their first consumer field option) vs $60,000 install cameras that vary severely in their distance capabilities, resolution (image quality) and thermal resolution (finite temp change from one color shade to another, like 10-20 degree variance down to 1/10 of a degree variance.

It all comes down to application and I'm betting this one may be useful in the right application, but it will be limited and not compare to the $10k-$60k units, or even the more reasonable Scouts.

Interesting, thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The first self darkening welding hood I saw was near $1500. I said Ill pass, but they sold a few. when the price came down to $500 they sold a lot of them. Now I can buy them for $39.99! And it has more bells and whistles than the original did at $1500. The more units sold will make the price go down and the product better. At $350 I have a good use for one at my work. At $5000 it wasn't worth it. DR

Links