Sig 556xi

This is a discussion on Sig 556xi within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody have one? LGS called yesterday said they got a bunch in, $1,369 (3% less if I pay cash) +tax. They look awesome, and the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By SigIsTheAnswer
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By SigIsTheAnswer

Thread: Sig 556xi

VIP Member

Sig 556xi

Anybody have one?

LGS called yesterday said they got a bunch in, $1,369 (3% less if I pay cash) +tax.

They look awesome, and the ability to easily switch from 5.56 to 300 Blackout to 7.62 intrigues me.

Pull the trigger, or wait until the next batch of Tavor's comes in? The Tavor is what I have been waiting for but the guy called to see if I would be interested in the Sig.

.XX likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    heard great things. But if I was you I would call Sig and check on the availability of the switch over barrels, bolts. If they aren't available I would jump on a Tavor. I personally will be saving for a Tavor.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion, Diamondback DB-15, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, S&W Bodyguard .380, FN Five SeveN 5.7.

Semper

VIP Member
    I always think that modular weapons are a gimmick. The Sig 250 was a joke and until otherwise proven i wouldn't touch one of these with a ten foot pole.

For the money you could just about buy a Colt 6920 and a WASR AK.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Remind me in Marlayan can you own AR and AKS?

If not or only crap version get the Sig 55x ... Assumig that Sig is going to relese for not massive price the conversion kits and not do what Travor did and say oh we are going to make all these kits and never did ... There was suppose to be a 5.45 travor kit but that was cancled and the only 9mm kits I have seen are very very high ...

But the travor is nice I do here the trigger needs work and it is not the gun for drum mags because of weight but they are good guns ..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I always think that modular weapons are a gimmick. The Sig 250 was a joke and until otherwise proven i wouldn't touch one of these with a ten foot pole.

The P250 isn't a joke. I would shoot one before you run off the handle and judge it. It is accurate. I am sensing a lack a creativity from you to actually utilize the P250 as intended.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion, Diamondback DB-15, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, S&W Bodyguard .380, FN Five SeveN 5.7.

Semper

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Still holding out for a SIG 750/751 SAPR.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Remind me in Marlayan can you own AR and AKS?

Traditional AK's - No

AR's - some no, all HBAR are OK

SKS - standard mag, yes, detachable AK style mags, no

Guy from the LGS told me that they can get the barrels, bolts, etc... and that they are legal because the upper is serialized, not the lower.

Because the Sig has a folding stock the shop has to take the flash hider off to make it MD compliant.

For the Tavors they actually have to weld on a muzzle brake to make them 29" OA length to be MD compliant.

Makes perfect sense, no?
    atctimmy likes this.

^^^ Timmy right. It would be nice to have a modular system. I have a Bushy ACR and can't find barrels at any price. The Sig, is just another Gimmick for their marketing. Svae your $$$ buy another rifle. Colt 6920, Windham M4 Wasr AK and such...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    The P250 isn't a joke. I would shoot one before you run off the handle and judge it. It is accurate. I am sensing a lack a creativity from you to actually utilize the P250 as intended.
    Hate to say this, but Sig was banking on the Federal Contract on those P250 guns, The Feds didn't buy the guns, and it got scrapped. Sig then dropped the RETAIL price tag on the guns BELOW dealer cost , in order to get rid of their P250s.With that, a LOT of FFLs got stuck with overpriced current inventory that they couldn't sell due to Sig's campaign.. I know a lot of FFLs that won't even buy any Sig product because of that.
    I'm sure you love your Sig, heck, I once made the guns, but I know how the upper Management operates too. I'll but a West German gun, but Exeter NH guns? nope.
    People in the Factory are 110% behind their guns, management, it's all about the $$$$
    On a side note. When you take your P250 apart, and change over your Registered gun ( the internal firing system) be careful to not lose a couple of the springs in it, as you'll be in deep do do without them. The "gun" won't operate until you get those critical springs. ( they can definitely go into space if you're not careful)
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Hate to say this, but Sig was banking on the Federal Contract on those P250 guns, The Feds didn't buy the guns, and it got scrapped. Sig then dropped the RETAIL price tag on the guns BELOW dealer cost , in order to get rid of their P250s.With that, a LOT of FFLs got stuck with overpriced current inventory that they couldn't sell due to Sig's campaign.. I know a lot of FFLs that won't even buy any Sig product because of that.
    I'm sure you love your Sig, heck, I once made the guns, but I know how the upper Management operates too. I'll but a West German gun, but Exeter NH guns? nope.
    People in the Factory are 110% behind their guns, management, it's all about the $$$$
    On a side note. When you take your P250 apart, and change over your Registered gun ( the internal firing system) be careful to not lose a couple of the springs in it, as you'll be in deep do do without them. The "gun" won't operate until you get those critical springs. ( they can definitely go into space if you're not careful)
    I understand where you are coming from. Touche'

Semper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. Touche'
    I just want to point out that I have no beef with the P250 as a stand alone pistol. I have shot one and, aside from the trigger, it was decent enough.

So when I say that the p250 was a joke I mean what happened with the entire platform and concept turned into a fiasco. You can buy P250s on line for under $300 these days because nobody wants them.

I see the same thing happening here with the 556xi. If replacement barrels and swappable lowers are easy to find and not cost prohibitive I'll eat my words, but I'm guessing it will flop big time.

I like the idea of a Sig556 in 7.62x39 so if it were me I'd go with the 556R and be happy as a clam.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I just want to point out that I have no beef with the P250 as a stand alone pistol. I have shot one and, aside from the trigger, it was decent enough.

So when I say that the p250 was a joke I mean what happened with the entire platform and concept turned into a fiasco. You can buy P250s on line for under $300 these days because nobody wants them.

I see the same thing happening here with the 556xi. If replacement barrels and swappable lowers are easy to find and not cost prohibitive I'll eat my words, but I'm guessing it will flop big time.

I like the idea of a Sig556 in 7.62x39 so if it were me I'd go with the 556R and be happy as a clam.
    My bad timmy. I came off with having no tact. I agree on the 556. That is a neat platform. But for the OP, the more I read on the Tavor the more I love it! I would just save your pennies and grab one up.
    atctimmy likes this.

Semper

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Traditional AK's - No

AR's - some no, all HBAR are OK

SKS - standard mag, yes, detachable AK style mags, no

Guy from the LGS told me that they can get the barrels, bolts, etc... and that they are legal because the upper is serialized, not the lower.

Because the Sig has a folding stock the shop has to take the flash hider off to make it MD compliant.

For the Tavors they actually have to weld on a muzzle brake to make them 29" OA length to be MD compliant.

Makes perfect sense, no?

Sounds like CA to me ... They have to have 30 oa in Ca as well ... So a lot of under folder AK and such and bullpups have extenstions ..

Esp as you can not get a mag feed AK I would go for the sig first then the travor .. Assuming conversion kits areok priced and not hard to get ...

Have a extenstion on a bullpup kinda kills it for me ...

And it could be worst back in the 90s CA not only baned but orded destroyed all SKS ms and D so...

So yeah I still say the sig unless the reviews are really bad esp if you cant get a AK in that state .... Though can you buy a sig556r or vz2008 ? Might be cheeper and you could get both of them the ak and travor ... Though the ones I have seen in CA with extenstions looked silly to me ...

Can you buy ak74 or 223 aks or all banned ...

Course it could be worse you could be in nj where the m-1 carbine is banned....

And as a FYI I am guess this is what the Travor will look like ( CA legal 30 oal ) x51u.jpg 196cbee5-a532-4073-addd-f8b4ca80558e_zps09877259.jpg

if you can get the 18inch Travor wont look as bad
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also not to thread jack but looking at your ban list ... Can you buy a Golani rifle ( the centruy Galil clone ) does not say Gaili on it and they are fun to shoot .....

Also looks like you can still get a AK74 and 223 AK .... That is fun even if the cheep ammo is on the way out ... You can get a Waffen Works 74 for like 600 bucks now ....

also I have to laught at your ban list .. How the heck was this made up .. I have not seen any of thense guns in years or they are like 3k now I got to laught Maryland Bans 81 Guns by Name | The Truth About Guns

sorry .. thread jack over ..

but really about half thous guns were banned in 89 most of the rest went under durin 1994 ... Sorry you have to deal with all that

Links