PTAC upper + spikes lower

This is a discussion on PTAC upper + spikes lower within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the deals at PSA, I can build my first AR for around $500 plus shipping/FFL. This is the upper/build kit from PSA PTAC 16" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: PTAC upper + spikes lower

PTAC upper + spikes lower

With the deals at PSA, I can build my first AR for around $500 plus shipping/FFL.

This is the upper/build kit from PSA PTAC 16" 1:7" M4 BLACKHAWK! Rifle Kit

Is there any reason to upgrade to a spikes tactical lower over a blemished PSA lower? For $50 more it seems a no brainier to me to get the spikes.

I know the PTAC upper and Blackhawk parts kit are not top of the line, but for my first rifle it seems like a good deal.

My ffl/friend/trainer wants me to buy a colt or some other top notch AR. But he always wants me to buy the most expensive stuff. I know you get what you pay for, but starting out, I don't even know what I want in an AR, so I wanted to start less expensive and then when I am more knowledgable buy/build what I want.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I have a psa moe lower on my bcm upper, works great. I have heard mixed reviews on ptac stuff if you want cheap it would be better to get psa premium. Your buddy is right, get one and be done, spend a little more money and not have to mess with it.

If you dont know what to get, just look around here, there is much advice
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I would at least spend the extra $50 or so for a PSA premium upper/BCG over a PTAC set-up.

I think in the long run, you would be glad to have spent the extra cash on it.

The PSA blem lower should be fine.
    rocky, Aceoky, EdJean and 1 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    PSA blem lower = good to go. Don't waste the money on Spikes.

Like Buckeye said, if you are going to splurge somewhere splurge on the BCG. Spend your extra $50 on the upgraded BCG.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-magazine.html

If it were me I'd go this route ^^^^. You get all the bells and whistles for $550 + 30 shipping + local FFL fee. You get quality parts, a chrome lined barrel and a proper BCG for under $600. Giddy up!

As you know a gazillion of us on DC have PSA ARs and they run quite well. The PTAC stuff is not highly regarded.
    EdJean and Aceoky like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Lead Moderator
    I think Buckeye45 is spot on, the PSA premium upper will get you a better, known quality barrel and the blem lower should be good to go.
    EdJean and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    AR's aren't all about looks. The "look at my new AR" picks all over the net don't really tell the story. It it the guys who tell about their bolt, trigger, hammer, barrel who get it. I would (in addition to the bolt) spend a couple extra on the fire control group.

Ar lower parts kit Rifle Parts at Brownells

Just as an entry level gun.
    Last edited by Nmuskier; April 4th, 2014 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    AR's aren't all about looks. The "look at my new AR" picks all over the net don't really tell the story. It it the guys who tell about their bolt, trigger, hammer, barrel who get it. I would (in addition to the bolt) spend a couple extra on the fire control group.

Ar lower parts kit Rifle Parts at Brownells

Just as an entry level gun.
    Well which one of those parts kits would you reccomend? If I bought a stripped lower and the Premium upper from PSA, I could still spend $100-$150 on a parts kit and keep it in that $550-$600 range.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Sorry, I meant to link the CMMG. They are quality material and will last. I would steer away from PTAC and DPMS kits.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    PSA 16" M4 Premium - With BCG and Charging Handle

PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine

If it were me I'd go this route ^^^^. You get all the bells and whistles for $550 + 30 shipping + local FFL fee. You get quality parts, a chrome lined barrel and a proper BCG for under $600. Giddy up!

As you know a gazillion of us on DC have PSA ARs and they run quite well.
    I have the same premium upper. Works great. Other options on an assembled lower (currently on sale):
    $180 - PSA AR-15 Complete Lower Magpul MOE Edition - Black, No Magazine
    $150 - PSA AR-15 Complete Lower - BLACKHAWK! Edition - No Magazine

With that premium upper, you will need a flip up rear site. Or, just put a red dot on it.

I think this is the combo I am going to go with. I'm gonna wait a few days and see if they will have a free shipping weekend. What do you guys think?

The red dot sells for $150-$200 anyway. So it's like getting a free lower. Total cost $630 + FFL and hopefully $0 shipping.

Blemished PSA Bullet Pictogram Lower and Vortex Sparc Optic

Blemished PSA 16'' M4 CMV Chrome-Lined Premium Blem Rifle Kit
    atctimmy, yankeeman and 357and40 like this.

My Upper arrived today that will go with my PSA Blemished Lower. The lower looks like it was dropped and has a few chips that AlumaBlack will fix...

The PSA Blem is GTG!!!

Bushnell Trophy 1x32 Red Dot Sight 730132P w/ Red & Green T-Dot Reticle is on the way. Was hard to beat $125 for the demo...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I have 2 PSA Blem lowers... they are only blems because the say they are. Seriously, I can find I very very small spot that I think is why the are marked as blems other than that they look just like the PSA a lower I paid more than double for. Everyones lowers are made by just a few companies. They only thought I'd put into a lower is if you like the logo or not.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    I think this is the combo I am going to go with. I'm gonna wait a few days and see if they will have a free shipping weekend. What do you guys think?

The red dot sells for $150-$200 anyway. So it's like getting a free lower. Total cost $630 + FFL and hopefully $0 shipping.

Blemished PSA Bullet Pictogram Lower and Vortex Sparc Optic

Blemished PSA 16'' M4 CMV Chrome-Lined Premium Blem Rifle Kit
    What pistol you gonna use for 3 gun now?
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    What pistol you gonna use for 3 gun now?
    ?? I don't even know what 3 gun is. I was actually getting curious about that.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    ?? I don't even know what 3 gun is. I was actually getting curious about that.
    Shotgun, pistol, and ar15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links