Ruger GS Scout came home finally

This is a discussion on Ruger GS Scout came home finally within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I mounted the scope on it yesterday and think I may go zero in a bit. They're uggers in many ways but it's growing on ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By Yetiman
  • 1 Post By wysh
  • 1 Post By svgheartland

Thread: Ruger GS Scout came home finally

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Ruger GS Scout came home finally

I mounted the scope on it yesterday and think I may go zero in a bit. They're uggers in many ways but it's growing on me. The intermediate eye relief took very little time to dial in on and I'm genuinely liking it so far (just shouldering/acquiring). It had 4 rounds down it when I bought it. I know and trust the guy I bought it from. The Model 60 riding on top just showed up the day after the Scout and so...... The cylinder ring on the 60 is almost invisible. The finish is perfect, no wear and it's a tight lock up. It hasn't been shot much either.

Range report once I get zero time. I have pushed 6 down the pipe with the irons. Not bad but it does buck a bit for being just a 308. The trigger could use a bit of help as well. All in due time.
    Attached Images
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Nice, keep us posted.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Woo Hoo! One of my latest "must haves". It's tough to beat the Ruger 77 & imprudent to argue with...Jeff Cooper! VERY WELL done!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I see it as a poor man's AR 10 (minus about 3-4 pounds in weight). I knew about the deal the seller was willing to give me for some time and just had to think on it for a couple of months. To this point, I'm more and more convinced of my decision to buy it. I've heard a number of comments about the Ruger bolt action and I can understand them. It's not a Weatherby that's true But a Weatherby is not a utility gun and that's how I see this Ruger. New, I feel that they're overpriced. The trigger is stinky and the trigger guard/mag well is fiberglass and plastic or something. I'll end up swapping both out. So there's money to be spent, over and above the optics (at my age they're required) after you buy. All that said, these pop up used, with very few down the barrel. That's the deal to jump on. I ran 6 through it with the iron sights. They need dialed in but aren't bad at +/- 70 yards and I was in between conference calls, hurried and leaning on a quad.

I mounted the optics with Warne quick release rings. I'll be interested to see how they hold and how they zero back after removing the scope.

The used market seems to be driven by buyers remorse. The guy I got mine from couldn't hit squat at 100 with the iron sights. It kicks hard, it's loud, etc. But I bet that this thing will do fine at 200 and that's beyond what I intend on using it for anyway. As a woods carbine, home gun, truck gun, utility type of go-to gun.....this may be the ticket. I'm amazed at how fast it comes up and acquires. Those forward optics are weird but very functional. If it proves itself out, I may finally dump my Bushy 556 to fund another one of these; One for the house and the other for the farm/barn/truck/beater gun type of use. I like the Bushmaster fine..... but I don't see the need for the caliber (no caliber wars intended in this comment PLEASE). I just like big holes.

I'll post it as I figure it out.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Savage Heartland

I came really close to getting one, but went with a lever gun instead. Every time I see one though, I have to fight the urge to whip out the credit card...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Please let me know how this shoots, I'm really interested in this rifle
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Please let me know how this shoots, I'm really interested in this rifle
    I will do so. I hope that it will be a pleasure but I will not lead the jury on this. I'm lovin on it now but it hasn't really done much to earn that other than have a "feel" to it that I'm impressed with and half a dozen okey dokey rounds.
    Savage Heartland

I like mine for hauling around in the woods. It's a very handy and capable deer hunting rifle and has served me well for that.

I replaced the trigger with a Timney which was a big improvement. It's no Jewell trigger, but well suited to field use.

I am running a standard style scope on mine (Nikon Monarch).

While I prefer my Remington 700 5R with a Jewell for target shooting, when it's time for a long walk in the woods I will take the light maneuverable Scout every time !
    svgheartland likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Very nice! My model 77 mk11 is a beast. It's just like your new found friend but ss barrel. Watch your forehead. Mine has a record for drawing blood. If I let a friend fire a few shots at the range, I most likely will see it trickling down their forehead, even after all my warnings. You'll be satisfied, it is all business.
    svgheartland likes this.

VIP Member
    Nice indeed!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Sweeet! Excellent choice(s)!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I zeroed the Leupold 2.5 fixed scope on this today. Not the best job since I was on a sand bag on the front rack / basket on my quad and standing, leaning over the machine. Started at 50 yards to get on paper. The last 3 shots of 7 cut each other in the X. Shot #4 was a trigger slap so I disregard that one. Moving back to 100 I started spreading a bit but not a lot. I wouldn't mind a Timney for it....that's coming soon.

So first real range time (OK, it was the back of a pond damn on an Arctic Cat but whatever) I'm getting a bit happy with this thing. My need is a field gun for 100-200 yards, a utility weapon. I ran a box through it of Core Lok factory stuff 150 gr. All my 308 reloads are for my Encore and they won't chamber. Favorable results from the factory stuff. I think that this was a wise investment so far. More to follow.
    Savage Heartland

Quote Originally Posted by wysh View Post
    Very nice! My model 77 mk11 is a beast. It's just like your new found friend but ss barrel. Watch your forehead. Mine has a record for drawing blood. If I let a friend fire a few shots at the range, I most likely will see it trickling down their forehead, even after all my warnings. You'll be satisfied, it is all business.
    With the forward mounted scope it's not a worry. The more I shot it today the less I noticed recoil. It's not a bad little shooter at all. But I've been cut once...hard to admit it too. That was an odd angle, a Hail Mary and a 300. Missed the deer too. I shouldn't have taken the shot.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

Good Luck with that Ruger !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Links