Anyone here build AKs?

Anyone here build AKs?

This is a discussion on Anyone here build AKs? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm planning on picking up a couple of AK kits here pretty soon...anyone else build their own? Thinking of putting together a "build party". ...

Anyone here build AKs?

So I'm planning on picking up a couple of AK kits here pretty soon...anyone else build their own? Thinking of putting together a "build party". I've never done it before so I think I'll start with a Romanian G and then move on to an underfolder of some sort. I've seen the instructions and tools needed and don't think any of it will really be a problem, but I'd be interested to hear other people's stories just the same...

I've been through one screw build. I worked with a G kit and accessorized once the rifle was done.

What type of build (screw, rivet, weld) are you going to go with?

I think I'm going to make up a few jigs and and go with a rivet build...since I'm planning on doing a few of them then I think it will be worth it for me. Originally thought about a "U-Drive" build, but I think I want to use the rivets after seeing what is involved in each method. I do plan on going with 100% receivers though...maybe if I really get into it later (and can split a flat bending jig with someone) then I'll use flats...but until then I just can't justify the time/money involved in the tooling for building from flats. Trying to put an AK "build party" together in my area so that may help out with that if we all go in on some of the specialized tools needed for flat building....but I'd still like to start off a bit "easier" than flats for now

This has been covered in other areas, but: DO NOT U-Drive. They are low/no-load fasteners. My dad was a welder fabricator, and I've done a bit of that myself, hobby-wise.

For simple and cheap- I loved my Romy screw-build. 10-32(oxided bottoming tap) front trunion screws, 1/4-24 rear (oxided 2 flute tap). I have a drill press, so total tool costs were about $15.

Subjective of course, but much easier than rivets. http://home.earthlink.net/~mwsjb/AKbuild.htm

Ray
    where do you folks pick up these kits? I've seen spare parts kits at a couple of places for less than 200 (i believe). Then I just need to pick up a receiver somewhere? -Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    where do you folks pick up these kits? I've seen spare parts kits at a couple of places for less than 200 (i believe). Then I just need to pick up a receiver somewhere? -Ray
    My kit from these guys was "minty-fresh"- aside from the cosmoline, that is!
    http://www.militarygunsupply.com/sho...temid=PKRIRO01
    Worked out to about $112, delivered. Bright, sharp bore, clean machining. Wood was nice, after stripping and a few coats of poly.

have done one Romy G with a NoDak NDS-1 receiver. Will be bending flat for next build. Check out these sites:

http://www.buildyourownak.com/

http://www.copesdist.com/partskits.htm

http://dpharms.com/ak47-kits-c-22.html

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I can honestly see building a fal , or an ar for that matter , but an ak ?? heck for the price you can nab them at why ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    but an ak ?? heck for the price you can nab them at why ?
    because you can build some pretty interesting things that you can't find easily...just for the fun of the build...to learn something about AKs...if you want to build a few then it can actually cost less if you have the tools to do it...buch of reasons for me...I've picked up some Romy G kits for $100 and a couple of halfway decent Yugos for not much more. Should be a good learning experience. The nice difference between building AK kits and FAL kits is that an AK receiver can either a) be bent yourself or b) be purchased in 100% complete for $55 shipped ... I only wish that FAL receivers were as easy/cheap

...though if I had to answer your question for myself then I would have a few answers...1) one reason would be the history of a specific gun...while the Romy kits are basically training guns (the reason for the pristine bores), the Yugo kits have some real history in them...not to mention they are a great version of the AK if you ask me 2) the guns you can build can be of much higher quality than say a century WASR-10...not that there is anything wrong with the gun, but for a few bucks less, some time, and fun you can have what is (in my opinion) a "better" gun. 3) why not? I think I'd do it even if it wasn't completely inexpensive (which it isn't) just for the learning experience.

...just my reasons

Links