Vepr 12 review

This is a discussion on Vepr 12 review within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Picked one up this week and got to firing it today .... Boy that is fuuun ! Course my shoulder is non too happy with ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 3 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 3 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By Katana
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr

Thread: Vepr 12 review

Vepr 12 review

Picked one up this week and got to firing it today .... Boy that is fuuun ! Course my shoulder is non too happy with me right now ...

For thous who dont know this is sort of the a different idea on the Saiga 12 think Krinkov 12 gauge ( I like hinged top covers ).. The Vepr has a self regulating gas system which knock on woods seems to work great ....

I had oh I dont know about 8-9 different brands of target ( bird ) and buck and slug loads ... I will post pic in a min of the pile o shells it went though ... The rem heavy target load was a very nice round as was normal Rem buick ... I got to say Rio Buck kicks like a mule though ..

As for slug rounds I love the Italian light recoil slug load ... But I tell you the Rem slugger are great and very accuart ( too as I blew my A500 target off the chain ..)

For a idea how reliability it is I tried to load 3 or 4 different brands hi and low load in the same mag to see what would happen ( usually Fed target load and Rem Buck and even a slug or two on top ) .. Not one issue fired them all great ..

The only rounds I had issue with was some Rem low recoil buck it just did not like that too much and were not eject it much ..

I very much like that it has a bolt hold open on it .. My only issue is the cheek rest could go a bit more back ..

But otherwise I am very happy with it so far and how well it did esp on the light load target/clay stuff .

Till I can post some Pic here is a placeholder one .. This is the new model that comes from Russian with the stock like this and is all russian parts

VEPR12FS15D.jpg

And for thouse wonder the factory mags is 5 but they make up to 25 round drums ( relesing this month ) .. I did try the SGM 12 rounders a bit harder to push in but they work great ..

That was nice no rock in mags just push them in

And this is legal in CA for thouse who wonder if you put a mag lock on it .. But no go in NY/NJ etc though ..

And yeah the barrel is threaed the same as the Saiga so all the muzzle brakes etc should work

Oh did I mention that this was my first shotgun
    DingBat, CommonCents and Katana like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    nice. I like the push in mags. that was one my major gripes about the saiga. it was like trying to assemble a Ruger Mark II to get the mag seated into the saiga...
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Nice first shotgun, it looks like it would be alot of fun to shoot.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

It was fun to shoot I will tell you that and the bolt hold open is very nice .. And yeah the mags esp the 5 rounders do go in great and easy ....

Note I had not clean or lubed this at all pre running it just loaded it up and ran it ... So if that saids anything ...

I was going to get a old rem 870 or the like but old Feinstien starts talking about banning imports and Russian looks like they may invaded Urkian so firgured I should get while the gettings good ..

Plus right now most companies are selling these with free shipping so that was a selling point ... Honestly you hold one it feels real heavy metal you know you feel like your getting your money ... Perspa the front grips could have a bit more tracting but that could have just been the factory grease ...
    Bama61, DingBat and StormRhydr like this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Katana, pgrass101 and Nmuskier like this.

Ex Member
    Cool read. Thanks.

I love just about everything that comes out of the Molot plant. A Vepr 12 is on my short list, especially with the factory 8 & 10 round mags being available here in the states for a decent price.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    very cool! hat's the length?

I just got a keltec ksg. Would be great if that could be a semi auto!

I cant get past the fact that that is your FIRST SHOTGUN! Man alive!

You set the bar pretty high, lol. Congrats. Im envious.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I want to like the idea of these box mag fed shotguns, but...not sure about long term storage of a loaded mag. Concern is deformation of the plastic shell hulls, leading to possible feed issues. Plastic shells were designed for tube mags, not box vertical mags.

Just not sure I could trust one to sit loaded for a long time for home defense, and then work when you needed it to.

Maybe invest in some all-brass shells, if you can find them.

Would be interested in some long term tests. But in the meanwhile, enjoy.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I want to like the idea of these box mag fed shotguns, but...not sure about long term storage of a loaded mag. Concern is deformation of the plastic shell hulls, leading to possible feed issues. Plastic shells were designed for tube mags, not box vertical mags.

Just not sure I could trust one to sit loaded for a long time for home defense, and then work when you needed it to.

Maybe invest in some all-brass shells, if you can find them.

Would be interested in some long term tests. But in the meanwhile, enjoy.
    Hopefully with the pressure from the hulls being loaded it would either prevent or limit the deformation,one way to find out is to load a mag and sit somewhere checking it every week or so for deformation,and mark the top of the shell as you put them in the mag so you could replace them the same way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links