AK Gurus: Where Do WASR's Rank?

AK Gurus: Where Do WASR's Rank?

This is a discussion on AK Gurus: Where Do WASR's Rank? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been out of the loop on AK's for a long time, and don't know about any current offerings. Where do Post-Ban WASRS's rank on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: AK Gurus: Where Do WASR's Rank?

Question AK Gurus: Where Do WASR's Rank?

I've been out of the loop on AK's for a long time, and don't know about any current offerings.

Where do Post-Ban WASRS's rank on the quality scale?

Consider Galil's a 10
    Consider Milled Russian's a 10

Where go WASRS?

Where go Stamped Norinco's?

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    can I throw zastava's and similar AK based .308's into this thread...???

EDIT- like what people think and where they rank. I guess a real Dragunov being the benchmark...

if not and you want to keep the thread "clean" just delete this post, my feelings wont' be hurt.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I don't know if I would consider myself a "guru"

But, my general impression is that WASR's are fine as "beater guns." If you want something functional, it will work (make sure that the front sight isn't canted or anything else is out of whack."

The fit and finish of them certainly is not up to par with some of the other makers, but they are typical AK in terms of function.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yea, Draganovs are a 10

7.62 X 39 MM ONLY

Thanks!
    Aceoky likes this.

hmm. nothing yet huh.

you know you can still get like Bulgarian parts kits right? I am interested to see what people say on this thread, but I think I'd go that route before a WASR

Bulgarian AK74 Parts Kit 5.45x39 AK 74 AK-74 : Gun Parts Kits at GunBroker.com
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

here's a "better" Romanian one... (at least more $$$)
    Romanian AK 47 Parts Kit 7.62x39 "G" AK47 : AK47 Parts at GunBroker.com
    I din't realize the above was a hack-n-whack, sorry
    a high dollar Russian kit
    RPKS-47 RPKS RPK kit Russian / Romanian 74 AK : Gun Parts Kits at GunBroker.com

3 Romanian's w/ barrels..
    Romanian G AK47 Parts Kit : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

i'll stop

That's fine!

I'm just not a builder.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I've been out of the loop on AK's for a long time, and don't know about any current offerings.

Where do Post-Ban WASRS's rank on the quality scale?

Consider Galil's a 10
    Consider Milled Russian's a 10

Where go WASRS?

Where go Stamped Norinco's?
    No guru here, but if I were looking for an AK, I'd look hard at Century Arms Centurion 39.

mano3 and pgrass101 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    StormRhydr, firerat and kerberos like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I've never owned a WASR, or consider myself an AK guru, but I guess I'll throw my 2 cents out there. I own a GP-1975 (century, built from romanian kits I believe) which has been good for me except for a weird extraction/throwing angle of the steel which I've never figured out even after replacing parts. Shoots great with the dust cover off. If my AK was 100% reliable in stock form I would give it a 6ish/10.

The WASRs that I've handled were always different in terms of the fit and finish. One would look great and assuming it shot like any other decent AK would probably come in at 7 maybe 8...but then there were some that looked like crap and probably shot like crap too. I would bet if you had 10+ WASRs in front of you to inspect you could come home with a decent one...but not many shops stock more than 1 or 2 at a time. This is just my experience from checking them out at LGSs...

I like AK a lot .. Here is a handy link to look over https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/1..._in_here_.html

I perosanl would look very hard at the new Yugo AKs ... They are pretty well built and studry ...

That said WSAR are great guns if you check them out .. The 10/63 are nicers then the 10s by a bit ..

What you want to look for is if the mag sits tight and if the bolt pulls back smoth and of course if the sigts etc are straight .. That said most post 1989 AK will have a bit of mag rock .. Tapco etc mags seem to b made for this ...

MAK 90s are good guns esp if you get a striaght cut .. SAR AK are good if you put a G2 trigger in ..

WASR are for me a great starting AK .. More so then any other AK... Any part will work with them .. You can learn what you like and dont .. Yugos are good but a lot of parts wont work with them.. You want a tinkering AK get a WASR you want a stock AK for the truck etc get a YUGO ..

Also for 400 bucks you can buy a Saiga and for 100-200 converted it to a very good AK or buy one converted ..

I mean you want the best AK buy a Maddi from Styer or a Euro Build but thouse run you 1k + now ...

Also note CAI is making Gali rifles now .. I think they are nice esp consider the price verus pre ban ..

Also note the issue with AK and 922r laws and 94 laws .. Some ak need work to de ban them .. Many wont have threaed muzzles or bayo lugs etc so alwasy be aware of that when your buying .. Also know the makers of these things ..The maddi had like 5 different importes and makers ..

And finnaly dont get a USA made reciver B west AK .. The china made ones are ok .. But the USA one will break very fast ..

From what I hear back pre 89 the China AK were the WSAR of the day but now ...
    molleur, DingBat and Aceoky like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also note know that if you can get a early AK with a non American barrel do .. They have baned the import of barrels for a while now .. So older Foregin Barrel part kit guns are often the best bet if you can find them

Lancaster arms in AZ made some good ones but the new ones are not that great
    AZEX arms mades some that are good as well ..

The m&m 10s are sort of a tac cool WSAR and they are very nice I hear and well put together for what they are ..

Also make sure what mags the ak takes .. They are still selling 10 round only mag AK for either ban states or for you do yourselfe which can be a bit fun //
    molleur likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also note there are like 3 + version of the WSAR pre 94/post 94 etc .. Some have bay luges etc others have them but they have been ground down etc .. So make sure you look into that when/if you buy ..

As for mags I dont think any other then maybe tapco makes 15 round mags.. Look to NJ for 15 round built mags ..
    molleur likes this.

Distinguished Member
    WrongRecroom has basically laid it all out for you. Personally, I wouldn't buy a roll of toilet paper from Century.
    WASR's are okay beaters and will mostly go bang. All kinds of issues with canted sights, magazine wobble, etc.

American made barrels are mostly crap unless nitrided, be advised..
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    WrongRecroom has basically laid it all out for you. Personally, I wouldn't buy a roll of toilet paper from Century.
    WASR's are okay beaters and will mostly go bang. All kinds of issues with canted sights, magazine wobble, etc.

American made barrels are mostly crap unless nitrided, be advised..
    Esp in any thing other then 7.62x39 .. 5.45 or 223 have been crap shoot for USA guns .. Dont buy a CAI tantal the Intearms ones are ok but no the CAI

CAI is hit and miss but if you get one that works it will stay good for a long time .. Plus AKs are pretty easy to fix with a hammer if needed most issues .. But WSAR 10/63 are decent beater rifles and fun guns ..

You want the best get a custom Saiga or Pre 1989 gun or maybe a Krebs and the like .. I am happy with beater AKs I know I would not shoot a pre ban that much .. Also look at the Veper Riles most are built on the RPK recivers and are pretty heavy duty guns and great well built guns but pricer

Course if you want fun you can go buy a full auto one that was brought back by a Navay seal from Nam( no I am not kidding it is out there ) but expect to pay a loooot for any pre 86 AK or Valmat ... As fun as they are

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links