Shotgun extraction issues

This is a discussion on Shotgun extraction issues within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a sanity check... In the last year, I've had numerous extraction issues when firing various brands of low cost target birdshot. This has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shotgun extraction issues

Shotgun extraction issues

Looking for a sanity check...

In the last year, I've had numerous extraction issues when firing various brands of low cost target birdshot. This has happened with both my 870, and with my NEF single shot. The shells just get stuck in the chamber.

I'm thinking the issue is the mild steel or aluminum that the bases of the shells are made of. Never recall an issue with brass based shells.

Curious if others have experienced the same, and any suggestions. Sometimes those are the only kind of shells you can find...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Are the shells getting stuck in the chamber, with the bolt attached, or is the extractor ripping off part of the base?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Looking for a sanity check...

In the last year, I've had numerous extraction issues when firing various brands of low cost target birdshot. This has happened with both my 870, and with my NEF single shot. The shells just get stuck in the chamber.

I'm thinking the issue is the mild steel or aluminum that the bases of the shells are made of. Never recall an issue with brass based shells.

Curious if others have experienced the same, and any suggestions. Sometimes those are the only kind of shells you can find...
    I had the same issue with some cheap Wallyworld shells. Never a problem with good brass. Rem 870
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Yep - noticeably with Estate brand, in the low 'brass' loads used for doves or clays. Not a problem in my over/under, just occasionally in the 870. I don't recall ever having to pry a case out, but I have had to work the action a couple of times to clear it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Are the shells getting stuck in the chamber, with the bolt attached, or is the extractor ripping off part of the base?
    Shells stuck in the chamber. With the 870, I've had to slam the butt into the ground to get the shell to extract. With the single shot, I've needed a wooden dowel.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It's also possible your gun has an out-of-tolerance chamber. A gunsmith with chamber gauges should be able to determine that pretty quickly, and ream it to size if it's under spec.
    Exacto likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My friend has a Mossberg 500 that wont shoot Federal low-brass birdshot. It just wont cycle maybe 50% of the time. My Maverick 88 (a 500 clone) will cycle it just fine, strangely enough.

Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the chambers? It takes a different size brush, and a rotary motion instead of the in & out you use for bore cleaning. See, for example, Brownell's 084-453-411 for a 5/16 x 27 shotgun rod.

John W in SC

OP, I think you are correct about the problem being with the ammo. You are having the issue with two different shotguns, so the chances are that it is a defective weapons problem seems slim, to me. Lets face it, with an 870, assuming that the gun is functional, you should be able to physically make it eject and feed ammo.

The issue you described has been mentioned in Tactical Responses Fighting Shotgun course, as a problem some students have had, and it attributed to "cheap" ammo with non traditional/non solid brass bases.

There is at least some mention of it on their forum.

I have shot a lot of cheap ammo and never had a problem, there are a few things you can try.

Buy Winchester AA shells, they run about $9 a box but have brass on them, they also are reloadble.

Ditch the 870 and get a mossberg as they have dual extractors. Even though this is happening on two guns I see it completely possible that they are gun problems, my single shot is nearly 100 years old it has problems too because of a worn extractor.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I've actually polished the chamber of my 870's trap length barrel, so I don't think the issue is that. However, I suppose I might have a gunsmith check both barrels just to be sure.

I'm going to try and stick with brass ammo, if I can find it. If I have any issues with brass, then I'm more inclined to blame the guns. But given that this happened with two different guns, I'm thinking it is more ammo related.

But...folks I shoot with, who run higher-end guns, don't seem to have as many issues, even with the same cheaper ammo. So, might be a combination of poorly finished chambers and the ammo...dunno.
    CT Lasers

Remember that if it looks like brass, it probably is not, take a magnet with you and open the box and check yourself, out off all different brands I have shot AA is the only brass I have found, doesnt mean there are not others tho. Rem gun clubs might be a option as well, they are not brass but are one peice hulls that are reloadable.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Just checked the Federal target loads I used last time with a magnet - they are indeed steel, not aluminum. I've never used steel cased ammo in any of my other guns - now I know why. I may get my chambers checked, just to be sure - but I don't think I will buy this ammo any more.
    CT Lasers

Don't rush to condemn the Federal loads. I think nearly all the shotgun ammo sold these days uses steel in the base. Surprised? Me, too - but at the two ranges where I've shot sporting clays out here, at every station there's a long pole with a magnet on it for picking up shells that fall into the cactus. Even the vaunted Winchester AAs have steel bases.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My Savage will only cycle high brass rounds. With short brass (steel really) target loads the base swells just enough to wedge it in the chamber. I shot 4 boxes of my current defense round before I put it into service. Winchester PDX1 cycles just fine for me. Still steel cased, but it doesn't jam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links