Wind doping

This is a discussion on Wind doping within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is tough. I'd like to hear from the experts....discuss:...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Wind doping

VIP Member

Wind doping

Is tough.

I'd like to hear from the experts....discuss:
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Ok I have a feeling I'm thinking of something completely different than the actual subject so I'm going to shut up before I even start.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Until they get serious about drug testing the wind I think this will continue to be a problem.

Now I'm no "expert", but I always have had a knack for judging the wind. I'm from Kentucky, though.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Is tough.

I'd like to hear from the experts....discuss:
    In 100 words or less? LOL Good thread though. I shoot LR and one thing I can tell you is to use everything available to gauge the wind. I am assuming you are talking about not have an Anemometer around.

Feel the wind on your cheeks. Look for visual clues from tree branches etc...look at birds in flight (yes, you can guage wind direction this way after awhile). Look at the mirage. It is one of the, if not most useful tools.

If wind changes, DON'T take the shot. Be patient.
    atctimmy and airslot like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The problem with the wind is what you have to do changes depending on countless variables. So how do we deal with it? Practice, practice, practice. The brain is capable of making all kind of calculations that we don't even realize it is doing. So in many cases you will go; "That looks about right" and it is right were you should be.

But a short list of things to consider with the wind.

Distance,
    Speed of round,
    Weight of round,
    Wind speed,
    is the wind with the rotation of the earth or against?
    is the wind from the rear or head or cross or a combination, all of it changes the amount of the adjustment,
    aerodynamics of the round,
    land conditions that will change the wind speed along the trajectory.

Have fun.
    airslot and atctimmy like this.

I'm no expert, but for the two years that I competed in High-Power rifle I became reasonably good at it (although that was 15 years ago). From what I remember there were a few factors: wind speed and being able to "read the wind" (flags, moist finger, dust); wind direction (you don't always get the full effect of the wind based on the angles); mirage (heat / humidity). What made it really tough is that at 600 yards there was often wind coming from multiple directions, so you needed to calculate the impact for each change (with some change potentially or partially negating the previous change). From there you estimated the likely MOA change, adjusted your sights and took the shot. You would make corrections based on your hit and changes to the wind.

Mirage was tougher because it could be going in different directions (towards you, away from you, up and at an angle, etc.) This was much harder to get used to, but once you did much easier to compensate for (adjusting your sights or changing your hold-over). Having something consistent to focus on (to try to ignore things that seemed to be moving) helped, but practice was really the thing that made the difference.

It took me to about mid-season the first year to really feel like I had a good grasp on these and was making consistently good hits. What was really tough is that we would practice late afternoons (when there wasn't much wind and almost no mirage), but matches would be all day Saturday and Sunday (temp changes, wind changes, going from rain to sunshine, etc.) It was a lot of fun. I really admired the guys who had been doing this so long that it was just second nature to them.
    airslot and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    I was shooting today at 300 yds with steady 15 but gusting to 25 knot winds. Normally wind just doesn't play that big of a factor for me because 99% of the shooting I do is under 200 yds. It really messed with me and I realize I need to practice more on windy days.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

The closer the gust is to you the more effect it will have on impact at distance.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I am NOT experienced in this, and I am completely in awe of the guys who can do this well without any instrumentation. I've got a good buddy who I am convinced has some mutant power to do this instinctively.

If the wind is found to be using illegal supplements, is it disqualified?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    No, but when it gets recorded by the weather service gets an asterix next to it.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I was shooting today at 300 yds with steady 15 but gusting to 25 knot winds. Normally wind just doesn't play that big of a factor for me because 99% of the shooting I do is under 200 yds. It really messed with me and I realize I need to practice more on windy days.
    A ten mph crosswind will push my match bullet strike (.308 Hornady 155-grain TAP) off laterally 7.4 inches at 300 yards. For a 20 mph crosswind, it doubles, etc. Beyond 300 yards, the wind effect becomes much more pronounced. At 1000 yards, 10 mph pushes my bullet strike 110 inches laterally. Bob Forker's Ammo and Ballistics covers the ballistics for quite a few rounds, and Night Force sells a decent program for laptop.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    Wind can be tough. It takes practice...lots of practice.

What is even tougher is when the wind is not constant. Meaning that you may have wind at zero...no wind at 400...some wind at 800 and even more wind at 1000.

That's always fun to figure out.

Or you take a shot and watch a couple of flags move and then quit...before the bullet hits the target.

Or your mirage says that its blowing east to west at 600...and yet you can see trees bending from west to east at 1000.

What's even more fun is an oblique wind blowing over your shoulder....or blowing into your face. Try to figure that out and see where your hit is.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

For me the book is my bible. I write down the day the wind the temperature the humidity and distance. Then I note the correction and round count. I am just a for fun guy no competition and yet it is amazing how many days on the field hunting the book will have a similar day and condition noted and puts me on close enough for a freezer win. I am so old now the eyes are the problem but still I eat pretty well.

I will drive out of my way to watch a sniper event the synergism that can be attained with two individuals fascinates me to no end. Keep shooting Tim and how is the ranch going is it spring in your area?
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I will drive out of my way to watch a sniper event the synergism that can be attained with two individuals fascinates me to no end. Keep shooting Tim and how is the ranch going is it spring in your area?
    It's going well. I've knocked out a few spring projects and hope this summer will see Patient Acres blooming. I have old trees to cut and fruit tree to put in.

A byproduct of my first project (pruning a severely overgrown apple tree) allowed me to open up my rifle range to 325 yards. I plan on stretching my .223s legs a bit more than in the past.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Mark Twain:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links