Don't rack the slide of your shotgun

This is a discussion on Don't rack the slide of your shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Don't rack the slide of your shotgun

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Some good arguments, but I'm not sure I agree. Arguing against the deliberate noisy racking of a slide is basically the same as arguing against a verbal warning towards an intruder who's not in a position to attack immediately. Certainly, in some cases, either will put the defender in greater jeopardy by giving away his position; but in those cases where the intruder is NOT a bath-salt addicted psychopath with an AR-15 and an intent to ax-murder, and chooses to flee, doesn't it put the defender in LESS jeopardy than laying low and awaiting a confrontation that could be avoided?

Interested to hear more opinions on this.
    OldVet likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

My Mossberg 550c has a round chambered and the safety on. I am of the school of thought that I do not want to give the BG a warning. He wouldn't give me one...

The warning gives up the element of surprise and takes away an advantage. Let's say you rack the slide and they take off, when will they be back to victimize you or your neighbors or loved ones again? I would rather have them in jail than on the loose.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

My dogs... 100 and 87 pounds respectively, will be making much more noise than the racking of my 870. An intruder will try to escape the dogs in a direction that does NOT include up the stairs (a choke point that I control.) My wife, my dogs and I will be protected upstairs. The stairway has motion-sensor lights in it, while I'll be in darkness. Points for me. Everything downstairs is insured.

Searching my home with the dogs telling me there's an intruder in the house, and not knowing how many there are, where they are, are they armed, and how they're armed, is asking for a gunfight in the dark... Having done that more than a few times, I'll pass, and call the cops to clear the house. After all, if an intruder, or intruders overpowers me... that leaves my wife.... well, my first obligation is to her. For an intruder, our stairway is the point of no return.

No disrespect to anyone, but most folks who rant about the devastation that will befall an intruder who dares to enter their home, have in all likelihood, never had to point their weapon at another human being. It aint all it's cracked up to be.

Just my opinion... be safe.....
    foxytwo, Sontag, 10thmtn and 23 others like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Most long guns are not drop safe. Keep the chamber empty until you mean to use it. End of story.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I think the only reason the 'rack the slide' is even an issue is because of hollyweird. But its so stupid in real life. Heck they even wait til the last second to chamber a round in handguns in many tv shows/movies. How stupid can you get. Obviously its just for effect on film but stupid in real life. If you want to give a warning give a verbal one. You are just asking for problems manipulating your weapon at the last second when you are under major pressure. Why add that variable of potential chambering problems to the mix? Do you really want to fumble around w/ a misfeed at that moment on your first shot?

In addition, when you rack a slide, you have lost the capability of having an extra round in your gun. Especially important w/ shotguns that have low capacity. 3-7 rounds depending on what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Most long guns are not drop safe. Keep the chamber empty until you mean to use it. End of story.
    I have had one accidental discharge in my life. I tripped carrying a shotgun with a round chambered and the safety on. My finger never touched the trigger but the butt was in my shoulder and the muzzle was pointed down. The force/weight of my body behind the gun caused the round to discharge. I had heard that shotguns were not drop safe, but thought it was an old rumor, after all what is the point of a safety if not to prevent a discharge without a trigger pull. Since that incident, I have never kept a round chambered in a long gun and based on the fact that I had disregarded what I should have taken as sound advice, I now classify my discharge as negligent. Fortunately, there were no injuries and no damage. Lesson learned all the way around. If you have any common sense, you will learn from my tale.
    10thmtn and shockwave like this.

Don't use a shotgun for home defense. Handgun all night long.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    You have until 6:00 to leave town.

Break your gun on a stump!

When I was young and dumb(opposed to being old and dumb like I am now) probably around 15 years old or so, I was on my usual summer stay at my Great Grandparents place back in the hills of West Virginia. My cousin convinced me to sneak off with him one night to go fishing down the road in their nearest neighbor's pond. The neighbor was a sketchy(maybe eccentric is a better term) kind of guy in his 50-60s who didn't mind if we went fishing there PROVIDED we checked with him first each time. Something we failed to do then because it was near midnight by the time we walked down the road to his house.

We were there probably about an hour and a half, caught a couple nice catfish. That's when I heard that shotgun rack and nearly dropped a load in my pants. Once the guy figured out who we were he was fine, but read us the riot act for not coming to him and asking to fish first. Took me two more summers before I had the nerve to go back to his pond.

That was the single scariest sound I've ever heard in my life. A sound I hope to never hear unexpectedly ever again.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That's the way I've always kept mine, load one less round in the tube as well. It sits for long periods of time between firings.
    JDE101, squid86 and shockwave like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I dunno, but the sound of that first round going into the chamber would make the average person think twice. My home load: #4 buck.. #4 buck, slug, slug, the rest #4 buck.
    OD* likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

It only works if you can do it with one hand.
    OD*, WHEC724, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    This guy obviously needs to watch more training videos. I suggest anything with Steven Segal or Bruce Willis.

All true operators know the first step in engaging the BG is to rack the slide. In fact, I do it repeatedly. I like to rack the slide before I enter each room. It lets the BG know I mean business. I go back and pick up dropped rounds after I set everything 5 by 5.

When I encounter a cold blooded killer...if I ever encounter a CBK, I train to cock the hammer before shooting. That ends most fights, and makes me look like a bad mamma jamma. I don't care if you have a 12 gauge pump or a Glock. Cock the hammer when you see the BG.

Subscribe to my next post when I will explain the tactical advantage of clearing a building holding your gun above your head pointed at the ceiling.
    OD*, CommonCents, Aceoky and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    It only works if you can do it with one hand.
    By that standard, a pump-action shotgun is a poor weapon.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The warning gives up the element of surprise and takes away an advantage.
    And the DA says, "So you were waiting in ambush..."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links