To AR or NOT to AR that is the question...

This is a discussion on To AR or NOT to AR that is the question... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been wanting a Colt 6920 on and off for awhile. I have entertained selling my almost mint Winchester Model 70XTR in 30-06 I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: To AR or NOT to AR that is the question...

I have been wanting a Colt 6920 on and off for awhile. I have entertained selling my almost mint Winchester Model 70XTR in 30-06 I purchased new at age 16 in 1979. She is immaculate with low 'mileage' ...a closet queen for years. The rifle is a Winchester-Western. She was built before US Repeating Arms took over. She has a very pretty wood stock and should fetch half the cost of the $1000 Colt. Not sure if I want to part with it. Not sure if I want the Colt. I don't hunt anymore so the Oh-Six will probably continue to sit in it's case. On the other hand, not sure I'll be buying enough 5.56 to truly enjoy the 6920. The Colt is more practical probably for me, but maybe restocking and Cerakoting the Winchester might yield a nice modern defensive turnbolt. I'm lost !! Suggestions welcomed !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member
    Keep the Winchester-Western.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I'm thinkin about an AR as well. Not sure if I should get one off the shelf ($800-1000)or get one built hoping I could get an upgrade or two in features/quality over off the shelf.

im going to sell an ithaca model 37 20 ga.
    old grunt likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I know you want the AR but I don't think you should let the old gun go. It's something that could never be replaced and you'd probably regret it forever. Just my opinion but there you have it.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Buy the parts over time and build your own AR, that's exactly what I did. Truth be told it's extremely satisfying building your own weapon!
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I have been wanting a Colt 6920 on and off for awhile. I have entertained selling my almost mint Winchester Model 70XTR in 30-06 I purchased new at age 16 in 1979. She is immaculate with low 'mileage' ...a closet queen for years. The rifle is a Winchester-Western. She was built before US Repeating Arms took over. She has a very pretty wood stock and should fetch half the cost of the $1000 Colt. Not sure if I want to part with it. Not sure if I want the Colt. I don't hunt anymore so the Oh-Six will probably continue to sit in it's case. On the other hand, not sure I'll be buying enough 5.56 to truly enjoy the 6920. The Colt is more practical probably for me, but maybe restocking and Cerakoting the Winchester might yield a nice modern defensive turnbolt. I'm lost !! Suggestions welcomed !!
    For an off the shelf AR, the Colt 6920 (SO Com) I think, is the way to go to get a good one. There are other great ARs, but you can find the Colt at Walmarts, and some of the others are as rare as unicorn teeth. ie Bravo Co, DD, Noveske.

I think you should go with the AR. BUT, I think you are not thinking right about what to shoot in it.

Lets face it, very few of us can REALLY afford to cap off as much 5.56 as we might like. Or looking at it another way, we cant afford to shoot as much 5.56, as we could .22 Lr.

A very nice solution to that is to shoot .22 LR. And I dont mean to buy a .22 rifle, I mean out of your Colt 6920.

Buy a conversion kit for it. A very nice conversion kit, that is rock solid dependable costs around $200.00. It comes with a replacement BCG, and mags. I bought mine from Brownells. AR-15 .22 LR CONVERSION KITS | Brownells One of the smarter moves I made.

One of the great things about it, for rapid fire, CQC drills, the point of impact is near identical to shooting 5.56. Zero remains the same for optics, or iron sights.

I have owned the S&W AR22. I didnt really like it. It ran great. Good gun. But the heft/feel wasnt the same as shooting a real AR. I like shooting my AR in converted mode better.

With a conversion kit, you can switch over to one caliber or the other, at the range, in no time flat, without tools. Then, you can let everyone shoot a tad of 5.56, (it makes a bigger "bang" that everyone also enjoys, lol), and everyone is just happy they shot a real AR. Even if the vast majority of shooting was in converted mode.

The muscle memory, and fundamentals remain the same, with the exception (on some mags), with the bolt open on last shot.

Here is the thing older whincherst etc are top notch guns .. Esp a gun you had this long I would never sell ..

If you want a my first AR you can get a m&p sport etc for like 600 bucks now .. Or build one pretty easy for under 500

The 6920 is right now one of the best off the shelf ar out there that is not some high end custom job etc ..
    Eric357 and Aceoky like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Keep your rifle, wait for the ar. Your old rifle can not be bought again if you later regret your decision
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

To echo the others; keep the '06, but do get the Colt someday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Eric357 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I hope someone hits you if you give up that Winchester, some here would love to get a real Winchester. I have gotten rid of a few. I have 1 left. One thing you can say is- I have one, others sit an tell stories about - I had a Winchester once.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    If you sell your rifle you will regret it some-day.

Save up and get the AR since you seem to want one so much.

Keep tabs on your local WW for a basic Colt 6920 since I think you’ll get the best price for one of those there. Then you can dress it out how ever you choose. Also you should be able to get a nice Daniel Defense DDM4-V4, or V5 for a couple bucks more. Either one of those three I’d suggest.

DD just changed over to manufacturing their furniture themselves now too and it’s really nice stuff. So they aren’t using Magpul as much anymore.

But what ever you decide I would never ever get rid of that old friend of yours.

Word of warning though….once you’ve been bitten by the BRD < black rifle disease > there’s no known cure for it but to get another one to keep your first & second one's company. Then before you know it you'll be wanting to build your own. They’re likening to a man’s Barbie Doll. All you want to do is too buy it new stuff to wear & then keep changing its appearance often

Don't sell what you can not replace....
    Save for a colt , you won't be disappointed.
    Or check out the M&P sport,great starter AR. It won't come with some of the bells and whistles of the colt but it is a great little shooter. If you find that you really love the ar platform you can flip the sport and get a colt or build your own once money permits.

Any thoughts on keeping the 70, cerakoting and putting it in a Hogue overmold stock? Best of both worlds(sort of)....tactical turnbolt ? Maybe a nice scope and still come in cheaper than a bone stock Colt with iron sights. Thoughts?
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I personally would keep the Winchester as is and get a Colt LE6920 when you can afford it.
    Aceoky, wdbailey and Eric357 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I personally would keep the Winchester as is and get a Colt LE6920 when you can afford it.
    Same here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links