First AR-15

First AR-15

This is a discussion on First AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally just said to heck with it and bought a Daniel Defense V7 then went to Cabelas and bought 500 rounds of SHTF ammo and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First AR-15

First AR-15

Finally just said to heck with it and bought a Daniel Defense V7 then went to Cabelas and bought 500 rounds of SHTF ammo and mags.

I still need sights, sling, home defense ammo and I'd like thoughts on a trigger upgrade.

Planning on dual using this rifle for defense and hunting (224 cal is legal for big game in Montana) especially with gophers starting to come out.

Anyone else shoot a DD? How's accuracy with the 16 barrel. I have an old 3-9 Leupold I'll throw on it right off for gophers.

I was thinking of a red dot for defense with the XS Big Dots to the side for a backup. Then a Streamlight or Crimson Trace light/laser system.

I know this forum is more handgun related but discrimination is wrong...

I have a DDM4 and love it. I had lighter weight trigger springs installed ($20) which improved the trigger pull - it was already smooth but harder than I wanted. Mine is very accurate. I'm running EOTech red dot and magnifier. You made a good choice in brands!

Congrats. You bought a great AR.

I have my doubts about upgrading the trigger. I cant imagine that your DD came with a bad trigger group.

Enjoy.
    OldVet and DingBat like this.

If you don't mind the stock(more than likely Mil Spec) trigger on your gun, consider just upgrading to some Reduced Power Springs. I think JP is about the best company going when it comes to trigger spring upgrades. They also offer an "Enhanced" set of springs, which I installed in home built AR.

If you're looking for a Match trigger, and have a few hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, there are a number of Match Grade triggers made by Gisselle. In all honesty though, you can get by perfectly fine for a dual purpose hunting/home defense weapon with the trigger that came in it and a spring upgrade.

I forget the site I got my springs from, but they were dirt cheap. I'll go through my email and see if I still have the email from my purchase and post a link for you.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

First AR-15

I just put an ALG Defense ACT trigger in a new lower. I like single stage standard triggers and don't want a very light trigger. But these are tuned and very smooth while maintaining the mil spec pull weight minimum. $65 if I recall.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You bought a good one.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Pictures are needed. :)

Sponsor
    DD is one of the top names in ARs. Possibly second only to Noveske. You will not be disappointed. I've been running one of their light weight barrels for a few years.

A spring kit and a little polishing will vastly improve the feel of a GI trigger. I, personally have no real issues with the standard mil-spec trigger on an AR but I'm not shooting for precision past 200yds with one, just going for minute of man with an RDS.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Good choice! I would shoot it quite a bit before you start adding stuff to it. You might actually like it the way it is! Good luck!
    DingBat likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Have fun.

The type of ammo (grains) you choose for hunting should be influenced by the twist rate of your barrel. Same with SD ammo. You can read many articles on what should work best for different applications.

Optics are important, but you don't have to go for the most expensive stuff to get something that works well.

I have a Streamlight TR-1 on my AR. Lasers are cool, but I chose not to use one.

If it didn't come with them get some good back up sights. Iron or polymer both work. Polymer is less expensive. MagPul has some good polymer front and rear sights.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member
    Don't have a DD but from everything I've heard it's an outstanding weapon. Congrats on a great purchase.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a DD V7LW, it is one nice shooting rifle. I researched my purchase in depth and settled on DD for my price range. You made a good buy.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Great choice!
    Enjoy.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Congrats. Lets see some pics.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links