Thinking of an AR in 7.62 NATO

This is a discussion on Thinking of an AR in 7.62 NATO within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw an ad for this: 308 WIN & 7.62 NATO 16-18 Now that prices are more reasonable, anyone have any thoughts of an AR platform ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thinking of an AR in 7.62 NATO

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Thinking of an AR in 7.62 NATO

Saw an ad for this:

308 WIN & 7.62 NATO 16-18

Now that prices are more reasonable, anyone have any thoughts of an AR platform in 7.62 NATO?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Time-tested platform in a time-tested caliber. What's not to like?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Caliber = heck yes!

AR 10 = buyer beware. I'm not saying don't buy one, I'm saying DO YOUR HOMEWORK! AR10s are pretty finicky and up until just a few years ago not many of them ran very well. I don't know enough about the makers to suggest a good one but study up before you buy. One thing is that not all magazines are the same. Some companies have proprietary mags, some run M14 mags, others run FAL mags and some are standardized AR10 mags.

Anyhoo, it's more complicated than you think so do the research and buy smart, then you'll be happy. I love a good .308.

Just as a suggestion have you considered a PTR-91, a CETME or an FAL? These are pretty good platforms with a good track record. The PTR 91s and CETMEs aren't too pricey and mags are plentiful and cheap.
    Last edited by atctimmy; April 15th, 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: ninjas
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

This is called an AR10
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I have an Armalite AR10-T and am very happy with the performance. The stock rifle shot 3/4" groups with Federal Match ammo, a little better after some trigger work. I am not familiar with the DPMS 7.62 platform. As "atctimmy" mentioned, some run modified M14 mags as my AR10 did. Armalite has proprietary mags now, so I purchased a couple. The mags are slightly different but, I don't see any difference in performance.

IMHO: Don't go with a lightweight rifle. It could be a hand full when shooting.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    I believe FN makes a SCAR in .308 as well.

I have an Armalite AR-10 with a Timney trigger and a Burris 3X-12X-50mm XTR scope. It is very reliable and accurate.
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Nope. I like the round, but not the round in the AR platform.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Saw an ad for this:

308 WIN & 7.62 NATO 16-18

Now that prices are more reasonable, anyone have any thoughts of an AR platform in 7.62 NATO?
    I'm not a fan of a pistol grip on a rifle. Pistol grips are for automatic weapons which the AR-10 is not. The grip torques the wrist and off-sets the trigger finger.

I wonder how a grip style found on paint-ball markers would feel....where instead of the grip being swept back, it goes straight down and some are even swept forward a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Ruger also makes a piston mode... IMOP get one that takes either PMAG or better yet the new one they are working on that takes g3 mags
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

M1A!!
    M1A!!!
    M1A!!!!

or a SCAR-H if your rich...
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I would be going with the FN SCAR 17S if I was in the market for a 7.62 semi-auto rifle. The AR-10 design doesn't really do it for me. That being said I've come across a lot of happy S&W, Colt and Ruger 7.62 owners lately so it seems they're pretty good.

Ruger SR7.62 will be the most bang for your buck. It has a gas piston system rather than the old style AR gas system. It also comes with a lot of bells and whistles.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    DPMS LR-308-AP4-44 16" barrel, Miculek Comp, Giselle SSAE, 6-24X56 Millett, BCM charging handle, Harris bipod, MS2 sling.

Picked this up a while back. It came with 11 factory mags(9 still in wrapper) and I found 5 factory 10rd mags and 4 PMAGS.

I added the trigger, glass, charging handle, bipod and sling. Shoots sub MOA all day with 150gr. I've not had a single malfunction.
    Attached Images
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links