AR 15 Opinions/Experiences Please

This is a discussion on AR 15 Opinions/Experiences Please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In an AR 15, I'm looking for your opinions/experiences/suggestions on aluminum vs composite and chrome-lined barrel vs not chrome-lined in an M4A2 rifle. Also, opinions ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR 15 Opinions/Experiences Please

AR 15 Opinions/Experiences Please

In an AR 15, I'm looking for your opinions/experiences/suggestions on aluminum vs composite and chrome-lined barrel vs not chrome-lined in an M4A2 rifle. Also, opinions on manufacturers with an eye on a balance between price and quality. This rifle will be for defense and SHTF scenarios, as well as range fun.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I have a Bushy M4A3, and have been extremely pleased. Mine wears and EoTech sight, and has a light mounted, and is the primary home defense tool at the moment.

Reliable, accurate, and plenty of punch with modern ammo. What's not to like?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

ok here we go. the best is the colt, and any type that they make. i got several and they work with on problems. all other companys copy them. the second best is rock river. that what i carry on the job for "raids". to me they are the only two brands i would buy.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Administrator
    Oh boy, you opened up a can of worms...

Here's my thoughts....

Top of the heap is Rock River... the only downside is the chrome lined barrels, or lack there of. You can order one with the chrome for a few bucks extra... if its going to be a target rifle skip the chrome. If its going to be a beaten battle rifle, get it. RR finish is better, the seem to be fit better and customer service is great.

Bushmaster... my second choice. Its hard to go wrong with a Bushmaster. They are built as a M16 is meant to be. A true battle rifle. Not as accurate as some of the others, but still plenty accurate. No pretty frills, what you see is what you get. Customer service has been lacking lately, as a matter of fact I was just dealing with them today. I was trying to place an order for 5 M4's for my dept., they still have not called me back.

Armalite- good make, pricey though. I hope you like green furniture, 'cause thats what they like to ship.

Colt... if you like their name and pretty horses stamped on your gun your going to pay for it. Still a quality product, but more for the money can be had elsewhere. good luck with customer service. I do have a hbar for matches, it is a great gun.
    As frankmako's post states above, they work on problems ;)

Dpms, just roll the dice. Some are OK, others belong in the parts bin.

Knight- decent production gun at a custom price.

These are the bigger names, there are more out there though.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 2nd, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Lead Moderator
    most brands of AR's work just fine. Some of the parts kit guns seem to have a few issues. I would pick Colt, Bushmaster, RRA ,Stag or Armalite without hesitation.
    DPMS, Olympic and other brands are a notch below. (IMO)
    I own a Carbon 15 Bushie. Not sure if I got lucky, but seems to be others out there with reliable carbon guns. I have heard horror stories of Pro Ord. and Vulcan carbon series AR's .
    If you are intrested in the Carbon guns, PM me for more info.
    If you can put up with attitude check out
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks Matt, Rocky, Sixto, and Frank for the imput, and yes I know I'm opening a can but first hand info is a good thing now as I'm pretty saturated with different company lines. Anybody have any thoughts on the carbon vs standard (aluminum) rifles, especially after a few clips have been through them?

"One man with a gun can control 100 without one. Search every house and execute those with arms on the spot, in front of their families to show them what will happen to them if they refuse us. Stalin (I think)
    "Political power comes from the barrel of a gun." Mao Tse-tong.

Is the jury still out on S&W's M&P 15?

Rocky, would like to hear more about the carbon 15s. How do I PM you? Sorry, I'm new here and I don't know what "PM" is.

Senior Moderator
    For a SHTF gun get a chrome lined barrel, you lose some accuraccy but gain in duribility.

I'm building my on AR you'll find several threads here on how to do that.

I bought a Forged lower reciever from a FFl dealer and am going to order my upper from STAG (I think I still might change my mind).

RRA is probably the best IMO, but Bushy is good too.

Lead Moderator
    Personal message. Top rt corner to enter email functions. Or just pick the user in posts to email or PM
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I wouldn't touch a composite lower with a 10 ft pole (sorry Rocky ). Weight savings a negligible on an already light weapon. While it is true you lose some accuracy with chrome lined, you or I won't notice it. A match shooter will. Chrome lining has come a long way, and does help with corrosion and bbl life. Early chrome lining was applied unevenly resulting in loss of accuracy, but as I said, it's much better now. Is it completely necessary? No, (do any of your other guns have it? No? Are they big rust buckets?) but it is nice to have on a "battle rifle"

Colts test every bolt, not all others do. IMO you will be fine with either Colt, RRA, Bushy, Stag or Armalite. The S&W are made from another companies rifles and Troy accessories. Can't remember which company. Point is, they are good pieces and S&W only slapped their name on them.
    I prefer to build my own from parts from the above makers since I can get exactly what I want. If you can put together a lego set, you can build an AR. Seriously, I'm not even joking.
    Big name companies get some of their parts from CMT and LMT, just so you know. Good parts.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Ive got 2 RRA, and a Bushy patrolman's carbine. I have never had a problem with either, but I like my RRA rifles better. IMHO, RRA is at the top of the game these days for value, service, and quality. Best buy all-around.

I wouldn't touch a composite lower with a 10 ft pole (sorry Rocky ).
    Agreed 100%
    Fear No Evil.

Lead Moderator
    To each their own, use what ya like or need. No offense taken.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Not to hijack this thread, but other then weight are there any benefits to a carbon or composite reciever?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

It was all done for weight savings.
    One of my main problems with them is that they are prone to getting the threads stripped where the buffer tube screws in.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links