Cz 452 .22lr

Cz 452 .22lr

This is a discussion on Cz 452 .22lr within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry. I don't have an interesting AR question or purchase to share ; however, I'm seriously considering the CZ 452 for my son (girls too), ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By PEF
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Cz 452 .22lr

Cz 452 .22lr

Sorry. I don't have an interesting AR question or purchase to share ; however, I'm seriously considering the CZ 452 for my son (girls too), & I'm wondering if y'all have any experience with this rifle or another to recommend for beginner youth? Single shot/bolt action is a must. Thanks!

I have one. Its a fantastic rifle. It comes with, however, a 5 shot mag, normally. You can get a mag that converts it to a single shot.

Btw, I agree completely with your choice of a bolt action .22 for them.

Heres a write up from cabelas

Among the most sought-after rimfire rifle in the world, the CZ 452 blends precision-crafted elegance with pinpoint-accurate functionality. The receiver is made from a solid-steel billet to last for generations. The hammer-forged barrel delivers premium-grade accuracy. The trigger adjusts easily to the shooter's preference. Standard models feature a beautiful Turkish-walnut stock. The Military Trainer features a beechwood stock and adjustable rifle sights. Receiver has a dovetail scope-mounting base (accepts 11mm dovetail rings, search Cabela's item 79-0222). Sling swivel studs. Five-round detachable magazine included.

VIP Member
    I have a CZ 452 Ultra Lux. The 452 with a regular length barrel would be a great gun for young shooters. Personally I think a bolt action is a great rifle with which to learn the fundamentals. My CZ 452 is very smooth and solid, and quite accurate. A great value in my opinion.
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Another solid vote for the CZ rimfires. I first handled one at the CZ booth at an NRA convention, and the bolt felt like it was on ball bearings. My beloved Ruger 77/22 should have an action so smooth.

Over the past couple of years CZ has been phasing out the 452 in favor of the 455. It's a little less expensive to manufacture, but there are some improvements over the 452, so as a very practical matter it won't matter which you get. The 452 still is catalogued in their Scout single-shot trainer and Ultra Lux (28 inch barrel!) models, but even those are hard to find nowadays.

Price-wise, you can get a 455 with a synthetic stock for around $350, and I note one or two wood-stocked 455s in .22 LR still on GunBroker for a tick under $400.

Just a little info on the two main models, the Lux and the American. The Lux has a European-style buttstock with a substantial drop at the heel; this stock style favors the use of iron sights. The American has a buttstock in the traditional American style. If you anticipate scoping the gun, I'd recommend the American over the Lux, to reduce the likelihood of having to raise the head off the stock to view through the scope.

Further on the scope, some CZ rimfire models use a US-standard 3/8" dovetail for rings, and some use the European 11mm dovetail. If you're going to scope the gun, just be aware in advance and don't go buying the wrong rings. The 11mm rings can get pricey, but a lot of airguns use that size so there are enough to choose from.

And yes, I do own a CZ. Just about a year ago I bought a 455 Varmint (essentially an American with a heavy barrel) in .22 magnum. I enjoy the heck out of the gun but the scarcity of ammo has limited my ability to find out which flavor it shoots the best. As funds allow, I anticipate additional CZ rifles joining the armory here.
    redbirddog5 and PEF like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks much for the feedback! I went to my 1st gun show last weekend w/ my 12 y/o, and I looked at the 452 Scout. The price was high & passed on it, but there aren't any around here. I've located one in KY, new w/ integrated 11mm scope rings, for $285! I may just have to buy it today , and a 455 or 452 for myself later. Appreciate the helpful info, Gasmitty et. al!

Administrator
    I have a few; I like the scout model the best. It's easy for kids to handle, but not so small it's hard for full size people to shoot
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Another vote for the 452

Kinda late coming to this thread, but oh-well.

I have a CZ452 with a birch European style stock. It is EXTREMELY accurate & I really like that European stock... it fits me well. The open sights on this rifle are the finest to be found. Highly recommend this rifle.

Robert in Tennessee

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I love the 452 military trainer. The iron sights are second to none on a rimfire, and the fit and finish is gorgeous. The only thing is the stock is sized for an adult, so if you have very small kids it may take a little work.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Links