PA rules on truck guns??

This is a discussion on PA rules on truck guns?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently aquired an AR-15. Since I have a gun for the house already, I want to put the AR in my vehicle. I'm planning ...

Thread: PA rules on truck guns??

PA rules on truck guns??

I recently aquired an AR-15. Since I have a gun for the house already, I want to put the AR in my vehicle. I'm planning on putting a Redi-Mag and a Buttstock Pouch on the gun since it will be a grab-n-go weapon. Does anybody know PA's rules for carrying ammo ON a gun in a vehicle? I know that you can't have a loaded long gun in your vehicle. I'm thinking the ammo stored on the gun might be a loop-hole?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

Firearm In Vehicle

From the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act:

6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

4. Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded

Assistant Administrator
    I wouldn't take chances!

Way better IMO to have gun itself devoid of any ammo - and that kept well separated. I don't think we have a prob having a mag loaded up but - best that is kept in a demonstrably separate area.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    unloaded Rifle behind the seat , mag in a pouch in the glove box.

Use your handgun ( assuming you have a CHL ) to dispatch the
    first couple of Zombies , this will give you time to retrieve and load
    your rifle before the main pack arrives.

OR , carry a Backup like mine.....

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

now that's interesting! pretty good idea...I've never thought of a good use for an AR pistol but I bet if you used a longish buffer tube and a long enough barrel that you could get some halfway decent performance out of it...my only problemm with the short barrels would be performance...I've never fired one either so I don't know how easy they are to aim. but over all 30 more rounds of 5.56 might be better than a pistol round if you ever had to use it in a rare defensive situation.
    Could still see some problems with it though if someone was uneducated to the fact that it is actually a pistol in the legal sense. What is the PA state definition of "pistol" or "handgun"?

unloaded Rifle behind the seat , mag in a pouch in the glove box.
    Ditto

A loaded firearm PA (as it relates to firearms w/detachable mags)
    "In case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine containes such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multipal compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm."

Here is my understanding of this, example; if you are carrying your AR in an assault case with exterior pouches the mags can be loaded and carried in these pouches with the firearm in the interior compartment.

where did you get that info Kid1911?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    where did you get that info Kid1911?
    It's in the PA laws relating to firearms under Part VII, Definitions [relating to Uniform Firearms Act]

Thanks for bringing this up and getting the info. Been wondering about this myself lately.

"Firearms not to be carried without a license." Does this mean that if you have a PA LTC, you may legally have a long gun in your vehicle? I wasn't sure if there was some other provision that outlawed that.

Also, FYI, I encourage the folks interested in this thread to join www.pafoa.org .

Quote Originally Posted by gunmetal View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up and getting the info. Been wondering about this myself lately.

"Firearms not to be carried without a license." Does this mean that if you have a PA LTC, you may legally have a long gun in your vehicle? I wasn't sure if there was some other provision that outlawed that.

Also, FYI, I encourage the folks interested in this thread to join www.pafoa.org .
    The following is from the PA Crime Codes:

6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

6102. Definitions.

"Firearm."
    Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

Links