Got the hots for a Springfield M1A

This is a discussion on Got the hots for a Springfield M1A within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got the hots for a Springfield M1A. The LGS has several different ones. I definitely want wood for the stock. Is the NM worth ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By oldskeetshooter
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm
  • 4 Post By 1 old 0311

Thread: Got the hots for a Springfield M1A

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

Got the hots for a Springfield M1A

I got the hots for a Springfield M1A. The LGS has several different ones. I definitely want wood for the stock. Is the NM worth the difference? The stainless barrel, "Loaded", is advertised as having a NM barrel and is about $200.00 less than the chrome-moly barrel. Springfield seems like Burger King with the M1As. You can "Have it your way".

Any and all information would be appreciated.
    Eric357 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have the stainless model just because that was what the vendor had when I traded off an AR-15 for it, got the better end of the deal couldn’t hit the side of a barn from inside with that AR.

M_1A.JPG
    OldVet and Christopher67 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've got the blued NM synthetic stock. I'd rather have had the wood, but that was all they had. They are a big rifle, but I like them !
    SatCong and BigJon10125 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I bought the loaded version. It was when our idiot politicians were threatening to infringe the right to have a rifle with a detachable magazine in this forsaken state. I have yet to shoot it, but it is a proven battle rifle. From all I've seen, read and been told, unless you are planning on shooting in long range competitionsit should do plenty. The one they have should satisfy all your needs, and the extras on the nm seem like small details aimed at eeking out extreme accuracy. I would buy it in a heartbeat myself!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I bought the loaded version. It was when our idiot politicians were threatening to infringe the right to have a rifle with a detachable magazine in this forsaken state. I have yet to shoot it, but it is a proven battle rifle. From all I've seen, read and been told, unless you are planning on shooting in long range competitionsit should do plenty. The one they have should satisfy all your needs, and the extras on the nm seem like small details aimed at eeking out extreme accuracy. I would buy it in a heartbeat myself!
    I carried the 'adult version' in Vietnam. In full auto they are WORTHLESS. Aim for the belt, second goes into the chest, third over his head. They are reliable, accurate, and built like a tank. Get ANY one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I carried the 'adult version' in Vietnam. In full auto they are WORTHLESS. Aim for the belt, second goes into the chest, third over his head. They are reliable, accurate, and built like a tank. Get ANY one.
    But I bet it was fun to shoot when your butt wasn't on the line! I agree that any M1a is the one you should get! Can't wait to finally shoot it! As Glockman said, it's a big rifle, but it feels like a "real" rifle and when you hold it you just know you are holding quality and history!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

As I posted elese where .. Look up the serial number for the golden age M1A they are great guns built by the masters on GI parts and still have the true bayo lug and even I think the full auto cut out ..

Dont for the love of all buy the CA version or any version with a muzzle brake thouse in CA who are forced to used them as Flash hiders are a no go hate them massivly hard to clean
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I can't say whether the NM is worth the difference. As you said, they have a lot of different models, but I had a Supermatch once and it was not worth it. It was big, it was heavy and it just wasn't a "fun gun". And with iron sights at 100 yds it wasn't really any more accurate than my Garands. Maybe I wasn't pushing it to its limit. I am much happier with my Scout Squad.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    They are a sweet gun. I always go over and look at them and wipe the drool off my chin. One day.

Is it wrong if I call it an M-14? That was my boot camp rifle. Did about a million up and on shoulders with it. Mine had a wooden stock and was made by winchester. We qualed at 200l, 30 and 500 yards. Went to San Diego. I think Parris Island did meters. Love that rifle. You can reach out and touch someone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Powpig2002 View Post
    Is it wrong if I call it an M-14? That was my boot camp rifle. Did about a million up and on shoulders with it. Mine had a wooden stock and was made by winchester. We qualed at 200l, 30 and 500 yards. Went to San Diego. I think Parris Island did meters. Love that rifle. You can reach out and touch someone.
    I may be wrong but I think that M-14 refers to the full auto model only and M-1A only refers to the semi-auto.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm in the market for either the standard or loaded carbon barrel with walnut stock. I don't think the NM upgrades are worth it for me, since I have no intention to compete with it.

Do your self a favor, and investage Fulton Armory M1A's before you drop your coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Powpig2002 View Post
    Probably not any more wrong than calling an M4 an AR. It's the style, if not the actual.
    Although it's not technically correct. Some may find it appalling. Just like calling a magazine a clip.
    If you say it, I'll know what you mean ;^)

Links