Defensive Carry banner

Harrington and Richardson Mod. 700 (.22 magnum)

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  xsquidgator 
#1 ·
I was recently loaned/given a Harrington and Richardson Model 700 chambered in .22 magnum, along with a couple of spare 5 and 10 round (I think) magazines. My dad gave it to me after holding on to it for 25+ years, I know it hasn't been fired in at least 20 and probably more like 25 years.

Unfortunately, it came without any documents whatsoever, nothing. I called Harrington and Richardson today to order a replacement manual, and they told me (paraphrasing here) that the H&R company that built this rifle went out of business 20 some years ago, and that the current H&R had nothing to do with old rifles like mine and couldn't help me.

I've tried all over the internet and googled every permutation of the words "harrington and richardson model 700 22 magnum", no luck. I'd been hoping to get a manual before trying to disassemble it for a badly needed cleaning, but that's not looking too likely now. By any chance does anyone here know how to take apart and care for this rifle, or have a manual for it for which I could maybe pay for a copy? i'm stuck. Failing all else, I guess I'll take it to a local gunsmith and ask him to show me how to take it apart, but I'd like to get it done myself if possible.

#2 ·
FWIW e-gunparts.com is a place that I have gone to for info on some of the older firearms that I have. I know they have online schematics for most everything that uses gunpowder. you may want to try there for starters. can't guarantee anything, but at least I tried.

#3 ·
Great, thanks. By the diagram I think I got it taken apart and back together again (no extra parts left over! :smile: ) That thing was a son-of-a-gun to get back together without instructions. I'll look forward to shooting it this weekend and hopefully it will work fine. I still can't get the bolt handle off to completely remove the bolt but I'll figure that one out later. Thanks for the info! :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.