Colt Commando

This is a discussion on Colt Commando within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all! Anyone run a Colt Commando with an 11.5 barrel suppressed? Wanna pick up the rifle and run a surefire suppressor on it but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Colt Commando

Colt Commando

Hey all! Anyone run a Colt Commando with an 11.5 barrel suppressed? Wanna pick up the rifle and run a surefire suppressor on it but I'm concerned about issues with it cycling due to the shorter barrel. The 14" barrels on the Bushmasters work fine with a suppressor. I would like the 11.5 so that it's easier to run in CQ with the suppressor.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I run a Gemtech G5 can on my 10.5 inch.

No cycling issues.

Probably a stupid question. Are you still in New York? Can't have can's in NY.
    WrongRecroom and Aceoky like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Yeah I like to know how on earth you got class 3 in NY .. I assume dealer or LEO issues gun ? Just curouse dont see much Class 3 out of NY

Anyhow from what I remember about 10-11 inch is great for 223 in terms of the gas working ..
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

11.5 inch Shorty Commando........ Runs at about 825-850 RPM.....
    .M16A1Shorty.jpg
    Aceoky, OD* and WrongRecroom like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

NFA guns (and supressors) are a NO GO in NYS..UNLESS your a LEO and then you still need to get approval from your C/O and I'm thinking that's a big no go as well. Being a SOT at one time, I've never sold anything regarding NFA stuff to a NYS resident.
    DON'T make one, or you'll be in club Fed...
    I see your member name is "NY27" is that a NY LEO?

I don't want to speak for NY27...but based on his signature line... I'd guess he's LE.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Advice that I was given regarding an 11.5" sbr I planned was that a heavier buffer could be beneficial due to the increased back pressure. Other options include customizing the actual gas port size. However, for most people the heavier buffers seem to work well. I run a Vltor A5 system. Currently I have the standard Vltor A5H2 buffer. When my tax stamp comes in I plan on using an A5H4 buffer when shooting it suppressed.
    CLASS3NH and WrongRecroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Advice that I was given regarding an 11.5" sbr I planned was that a heavier buffer could be beneficial due to the increased back pressure. Other options include customizing the actual gas port size. However, for most people the heavier buffers seem to work well. I run a Vltor A5 system. Currently I have the standard Vltor A5H2 buffer. When my tax stamp comes in I plan on using an A5H4 buffer when shooting it suppressed.
    My Shorty, when I recieved it, didn't run correctly. The buffer spring was too weak. Got a new one from Colt, which was heavier. Runs fine ever since
    Ran fine on Semi Auto, but Full Auto, the hammer kept riding up onto the firing pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I don't want to speak for NY27...but based on his signature line... I'd guess he's LE.
    I thought so as well, but who knows, as we all have unique Member names. I'm hoping he/she CAN GET the paperwork Approved!..Via a LEO letter....Shooting a 5.56/.223 with a Can, sounds more like a 22 LR CCI Mini Mag. NOT as quiet as you'd want it, but it does do the job.
    BEST part is.... To get a AR 22LR conversion kit, and then put it in. NO report at all, plus it's chaeper to shoot.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am a police officer. I am a firearms instructor for my agency and the chief wanted me to do the homework on a new patrol rifle. We currently run Bushmaster M4's. If I order it from Colt, I'll request the heavier buffer spring.

Our M4's have 14" barrels and the suppressor adds a good bit of length making it less desirable for CQ. That's why I want the commando and it's 11.5" barrel. It'll make it easier to deploy out of the vehicle as well.

Thanks again.
    CLASS3NH, WrongRecroom and Aceoky like this.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am a police officer. I am a firearms instructor for my agency and the chief wanted me to do the homework on a new patrol rifle. We currently run Bushmaster M4's. If I order it from Colt, I'll request the heavier buffer spring.

Our M4's have 14" barrels and the suppressor adds a good bit of length making it less desirable for CQ. That's why I want the commando and it's 11.5" barrel. It'll make it easier to deploy out of the vehicle as well.
    Thanks again.
    Stay safe out there Man! Bushmaster, Colt, have NFA 11.5 inch guns for LEO applications. DON'T go for the 10 inch gun cuz they historicall
    y don't/haven't run right in the past. Yankee Hill makes some really good supressors. The Store sells them (Kittery Trading Post, Kittery maine.) Yankee Hill may even do a direct sale, seeing you're a LEO
    NY27 likes this.

Have you looked the AAC mini?

Shortens it up quiet a bit.

Just curious i'm all about buying new stuff, but why can't you just put 11 barrels on your existing rifles? You have the business/econ in me coming out. I mean you already have NFA SBR's running a 14.5 inch barrel putting a 10.5 inch barrel on it is probably much faster and economical.

That way your bean counters could through more money at training ammo and training the front line officers, that don't get to shoot as probably the tac team guys?
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

To dem dat knows: doesn 't a suppressor always add to back pressure? Is the fear that the rate of fire will speed up too fast in full auto? I am also not sure why how shortening the barrel translates into a heavier buffer spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Have you looked the AAC mini?

Shortens it up quiet a bit.

Just curious i'm all about buying new stuff, but why can't you just put 11 barrels on your existing rifles? You have the business/econ in me coming out. I mean you already have NFA SBR's running a 14.5 inch barrel putting a 10.5 inch barrel on it is probably much faster and economical.

That way your bean counters could through more money at training ammo and training the front line officers, that don't get to shoot as probably the tac team guys?
    We're trying to add a rifle to the dept every year until every patrol rifle officer has their own.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    We're trying to add a rifle to the dept every year until every patrol rifle officer has their own.
    Ah! Okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links