Exposed hammer side by side?

This is a discussion on Exposed hammer side by side? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My father wants a coach gun. I would like to get him one. One thing he mentioned and I am not sure how serious he ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By rwponline
  • 2 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 2 Post By oldranger53

Thread: Exposed hammer side by side?

Exposed hammer side by side?

My father wants a coach gun. I would like to get him one. One thing he mentioned and I am not sure how serious he was about it, was a side by side with exposed hammers. While I doubt he would scoff at a nice Stoeger side by side, I am interested to see if there are any side by side modern shotguns with exposed hammers that you would recommend.

If not what coach guns should I look at for the Old Man?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Been racking my brain for an excuse to buy one for years...

Hammer Coach | CZ-USA

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I can vouch for the Stoegers! They are great guns for the money and are very stout! I have a Stoeger Uplander 20ga S/S that is just like the Coach Gun w/ longer barrels. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    Been racking my brain for an excuse to buy one for years...

Hammer Coach | CZ-USA
    ^^^--- +1... couldn't have said it better myself...

and I'm not sayin you should, but you could...

Chiappa Firearms
    5lima30ret and BigJon10125 like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Given that most long guns are not drop safe, you can make a very good argument for exposed hammers, as long as the gun has transfer bars for safety. Faster to cock the hammers than to load an empty gun.

I was looking into a defensive double or over/under for my wife, but when I called the makers, none of them were drop safe, meaning you are not supposed to store them loaded...which kinda defeats the purpose IMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Many of the popular defensive shotguns are not "drop-safe" and is why some agencies (can't speak for them all) teach carrying with an empty chamber. The easiest solution is: Don't drop the shotgun...

While some may tout the intimidating sound of hammers being cocked, I see it as an extra step (or two) in readiness that you may not have or may instigate opposing fire.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Norinco makes a cheeeeeppp coach gun that has working dog ears and yes they can still import shotguns
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Many of the popular defensive shotguns are not "drop-safe" and is why some agencies (can't speak for them all) teach carrying with an empty chamber. The easiest solution is: Don't drop the shotgun...

While some may tout the intimidating sound of hammers being cocked, I see it as an extra step (or two) in readiness that you may not have or may instigate opposing fire.
    I completely agree OldVet. However, Pop's rationale is that he can see that it is ready to go. It is only my parents in the house other than when my kids go over, so keeping it in "condition 1" would be a viable option for him.

Thanks for all the input thus far.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    ^^^--- +1... couldn't have said it better myself...

and I'm not sayin you should, but you could...

Chiappa Firearms
    Oh heck yeah! That is what I am talking about right there!!! After that I will just need a gatling shotgun. Those look very nice though. I will put it on the "when money is no longer a concern" list.
    DingBat likes this.
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    My father wants a coach gun. I would like to get him one. One thing he mentioned and I am not sure how serious he was about it, was a side by side with exposed hammers. While I doubt he would scoff at a nice Stoeger side by side, I am interested to see if there are any side by side modern shotguns with exposed hammers that you would recommend.

If not what coach guns should I look at for the Old Man?

Hello,
    I am aware of some side by side doubles out there with exposed hammers.
    One that I picked up and held in a LGS about 9 years ago, I thought, was cheaply made and I wanted no part of it.

Sorry, I don't remember the manufacturer of that "tin foil express" gun.

About 5yrs ago, wife and I picked up a couple of side by side doubles for our own enjoyment.

Her's is a Stoger Coach Gun in .410. Models pictured here LINK

Mine is a Boito side by side. Models pictured here LINK

Both guns are manufactured by the same company, in Brazil, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as shotguns go, (and I know this will stir up some controversy), I've found both these guns to be high quality in materials and workmanship. I haven't felt like we were taken, gyped, or otherwise robbed of our money in the purchase of either of these shotguns.

The safety on my 12ga, Boito, could be a little stiffer in operation. It has a tendency to work itself to the "fire" position all on it's own. I have to keep vigil on it to ensure that there is no AD/ND while loaded. Other than that, I am completely satisfied with both shotguns. I'd recommend this manufacturer to anyone, at least as far as side by side doubles go.
    I don't know about their other firearms.
    YMMV
    5lima30ret and DingBat like this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I don't know about you, but getting awakened in the middle of the night by my house alarm blaring has a way of making me more fumble prone than usual.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Links