Keymod vs the new Magpul M-LOK?

This is a discussion on Keymod vs the new Magpul M-LOK? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there any benefit to buying the new M-LOK system over keymod? I always assumed that Keymod was the best because it's slimmer and lighter. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ashamans
  • 1 Post By ashamans
  • 1 Post By yz9890
  • 1 Post By yz9890
  • 2 Post By Fallschirmjäger

Thread: Keymod vs the new Magpul M-LOK?

Question Keymod vs the new Magpul M-LOK?

Is there any benefit to buying the new M-LOK system over keymod? I always assumed that Keymod was the best because it's slimmer and lighter. Just curious as I am fairly skeptical about it.

2. Remove Ads

M lock works with moe stuff allready on market with adapter plate. M lok can be made out of polymer so I expect it to be a lot cheaper.
    american23 likes this.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    M lock works with moe stuff allready on market with adapter plate. M lok can be made out of polymer so I expect it to be a lot cheaper.
    But do you think it will be lighter? Will it also be free-floated? I mean...in terms of practicality isn't the Keymod still going to be superior?

http://magpul.commercev3.com/downloa...lease_FAQs.pdf

Yeah they will be free floated I want the one in this document, idk if polymer ones will.or not, I assume they will
    american23 likes this.

I Love how slim some of the Keymod hand guards are. This Noveske NSR is super thin. I've got medium / large hands and can overlap thumb and fingers if I want.
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I Love how slim some of the Keymod hand guards are. This Noveske NSR is super thin. I've got medium / large hands and can overlap thumb and fingers if I want.
    Very nice. Great pic, thanks! I've heard that they are very slim and considered the best (I think a lot of competitive shooters also use them too?). My first M4 is probably going to be a LE6920 Socom as I've heard nothing but good things about them. That's why I was curious...I'm planning ahead on parts to get an idea of cost. I'm a few months out from buying it but I've also got to plan ahead for rails/furniture/geiselle triggers/and sight.

Keymod vs the new Magpul M-LOK?

Have a look at the new BCM KMR also. Hard to beat the price point of the Magpul add-ons though.
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Very nice. Great pic, thanks! I've heard that they are very slim and considered the best (I think a lot of competitive shooters also use them too?). My first M4 is probably going to be a LE6920 Socom as I've heard nothing but good things about them. That's why I was curious...I'm planning ahead on parts to get an idea of cost. I'm a few months out from buying it but I've also got to plan ahead for rails/furniture/geiselle triggers/and sight.
    Might be best to build it yourself if you are going to change that much stuff. Bcm makes a complete upper without a handguard so thats a option if to make things easier, it does have a front sight mounted but that should be easy to change.

Given that poly receivers are lighter weight than aluminum they should be lighter, pure speculation. They will be thicker as seen in the pdf.

Don't get all wrapped up in which one has more options, by this time next year...

There will be adapters to convert M-Lok/MOE to KeyMod and
    adapters to fit KeyMod to M-Lok/MOE
    and adapters to fit Picatinny to both
    and there will still be fanboys of both that hate each other with all the fervor of Glock v 1911.
    american23 and atctimmy like this.

Interesting. I like the M-LOK concept a lot. I bet it will spawn some great innovation and may become a standard (I'm sure the folks at Magpul would love that). I'd love to see a throw lever incorporated somehow for quick-connect.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Based on the PDF of the M-Lok it looks like the M-lok plates can be put on just about any rail that has holes/rectangles/ovals as long as the backing piece will catch on the edges. Both systems have their merits. I think the keymod system is a bit "slicker", but I also have a great appreciation for Magpuls simple, high quality products at a low price point.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Links