Trading out of 223 for 308; Any remorse?

This is a discussion on Trading out of 223 for 308; Any remorse? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking that I may just divest myself of the 223/556 and be done with it. I've been playing w/a new Ruger Scout in 308/762 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Trading out of 223 for 308; Any remorse?

Distinguished Member

I'm thinking that I may just divest myself of the 223/556 and be done with it. I've been playing w/a new Ruger Scout in 308/762 and so far I'm very pleased. I've got a trigger ordered for it so we'll see what happens when I drop that in. If it continues to perform and improve, I may just put another one of them in the stable. I'm a bit surprised at my enthusiasm with this project but the rifle has impressed me so far. Having one out here in my barn (where I spend a lot of time) is a wonderful thing but I'm beginning to look sideways at the Bushy that's in the house. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have another rifle w/the same manual of arms as my backup in the house. I kind of like the idea of duplicity and muscle memory doesn't have to work too hard with matching rifles.

My question is this; Have any of you dumped an AR15 platform and found reason that you shouldn't have? Oh, if money were no object, I'd let it sit in the safe. But that's all it would do. I spoke with a buddy last night who went from a Mini 14 that he'd had for years to a Sig AR10 and he's never doubted his decision. I think that I'm heading down the same path. But I thought I'd check the community for thoughts. I'm a big bullet type and I've never put much truck in the 223, but I had to have one.....

AR10's are nice, but pricey and heavy. I don't mind a magazine fed bolt action. Old school is fine w/me.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Yes I have. Last year I ditched the AR for the M1A. Bad move. The wife went nuts, and hounded me until I got her another. Now I have two. The M1A is a fun rifle, and I love it. In some ways though it's kinda impractical. It's heavier, ammo is heavier and more expensive. Harder to wield around tight areas, and doesn't make as good a bug out gun.

Even the A2 AR version is lighter. And with Barnes TSX bullets, it's got medium game potential.
    So I don't regret having the M1A, I do regret thinking it would be an end all rifle.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

15-20 years ago when we were flooded with cheep and good surplus ammo I would have said yeah I would not mind havinga 308 .. Now seein the cost of even steel case ammo verus 5.56 or 7.62x39 I am touching that till I get the cash to lay the stuff in deep ... And if I do it will be a ptr or the like as the mags are cheep..

Yeah 223 does not have the reach out and touch someone tht 308 does ..Same as my aks ...But I dont have any place around here where I can shoot 500-100 yards etc .. Plus I can get a mosin or K31 if I needed to shoot out long and the ammo is cheeper...

Also consider what poltical age we are in + you can get a AR for 500 now .. I would not give one up for a bolt action ..Who know what the next elections bring ... Owning a EBR is insurenes if you ask me agasint the future ..

Alos have you looked a the Colt Modulare guns ...You can fire both 308 and 223 with thouse ... Just saying

Even a normal 223 you can fire what x39--5.45-45-9mm-22lr and so on ...

I would like a 308 yes but would not give up on 223 or x39 for it ....
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

just have both
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have sold my last gun… ever (unless I win that R-51 in the LGS raffle - that thing's going out the door without coming out of the wrapper).

Some day I will pass on firearms to progeny, but I will never "get out of" a caliber.
    gatorbait51 and airslot like this.

Your looking at 800 or so for a new rifle.. You can get a Swiss K-31 from AIM Surplus for 289 with a beechwood, or 309 for a walnut stock. Ammo is running 53 cents a round at Aim. Be much cheaper than getting the Ruger and a much nicer and faster action as the K-31 is a straight pull bolt.
    gatorbait51 and WrongRecroom like this.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

If money IS an object, you might want to stay with the .223? In the last year or so, things were looking glum for the beloved round. It seems the ammo gods have blessed us and .223 is everywhere recently (and at almost pre-freak out prices)! I'm a Mini-14 man myself and I've actually been able to afford taking my lil' carbine to the range in recent months! My wife's a big fan too, so I'm dancin' with the one that brung me!

I have a Colt LE 6920 5.56X45mm with iron sights for home defense and for my wife to use for SHTF out to around 200 yards. I have an Armalite AR-10 7.62X51 with a 3X-12X-50mm scope for SHTF out to around 500 yards. I have a CZ American bolt-action .308 Winchester with a 6X-24X-50mm FFP scope for out to about 1,000 yards. I was fondling a Browning BLR Take-Down lever-action in .308 Winchester at the LGS today just for the fun of it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Nope... 308 just plain cost to much to shoot as much as I'd like. ..... so I have both.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

BTW, one of the LGS here was selling a flat of 1000rd loose pack Federal brass 55g ball today for $375. The other a couple miles down the road had 450rd cases of the same (on stripper clips) for $175. Plenty of supply available at sub .40/rd for quality.

Things are looking up!

The local Sportsman's Warehouse has 1,000 round loose pack Federal Lake City 7.62X51 NATO for $650 today. I paid $869 for the same thing about a year ago.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    Interesting input. Thanks guys. Even the big bore dudes are saying nah....hang on. Hmmm
    Savage Heartland

Distinguished Member
    Browning BLR. Yeah that too.
    Savage Heartland

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Browning BLR. Yeah that too.
    Look up the pricing of 7.5x55 ammo for the k31 .. And that is a amaing rifle ... And the ammo is match grade .. Could fill that iteach for big bore cheep ... Even the surplus ammo is match grade ... People have made shoots out to 500 + yards with iron sigts ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I love my DPMS LR308. But a .308 and .223 are different. I am actually saving up for a .223 would like to have both platforms. No I do not sell firearms. I carefully choose the ones I want and do not care to give them up afterward. Wife asked me the other day why I need to buy another firearm, did I not have enough? My answer was does she not have enough shoes? That was the end of that conversation.
    JohnHancock likes this.
    William Wallace: There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links