Mini 14 opinion

Mini 14 opinion

This is a discussion on Mini 14 opinion within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At one time or another I've had a Mini 14 around the farm. The last on I sold to help purchase another AR-15 and an ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Line_Rider
  • 1 Post By IsaiahM33
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By Line_Rider

Thread: Mini 14 opinion

Mini 14 opinion

At one time or another I've had a Mini 14 around the farm. The last on I sold to help purchase another AR-15 and an Aimpoint scope. Well I'm back wanting one. I know Mini's aren't as accurate as AR-15. Magazine are a pain in the butt to find.

But the walnut stock on the older one was beautiful. The bluing was pretty good. I have seen them clotted full of Alabama red clay and still shot.

What's wrong with me? I think I could use a Fudd tactical gun.
    DingBat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i had mine heavily customized by these guys.

Ruger Mini Remington AR10 AR15 Accuracy Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel

i love it!
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

There is nothing wrong with a mini.. they have their place. Since the sunset of the AWB, I have had no problem finding mags.. ruger 20's are everywhere. I think they are fine as a camp or ranch gun for varmints. I just dont consider it something that I would choose for average rifle range. Under 100 yards 2,3, half a dozen shots.. yeah its good for that until the barrel gets hot.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

The new ones are much better than the older models, especially with a barrel strut. I don't know why Ruger just doesn't make that a factory option.
    Attached Images
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

The new model have better barrel then the old ones ...

Thing is on the mags ... When Bill Ruger ran the company he would not sell over 10 mags or folding stock to Civies so finding them was hard till he was no longer in charges now the mags are pretty easy to find ... I still wish they bring the A team stock back though..

Factory ruger mags are about the only ones that work very well .. Tapco maybe .. But stick with factory for any non range work ...

I hope to one day a police/gov model with folding stock and add a accubrace

http://www.accu-strut.com/ is great to get esp for older models

Mags are a lot easier to find ... CDNN and others often blow them out ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I like ours a lot. Had a M16 in the Army - prefer the Mini. The newer ones with the tapered barrel are plenty accurate.

Sometimes not looking like an "eeeevil black rifle" is advantageous as well...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The mini 14 does have some advantages.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have the Mini Thirty with accustrut it is fun on the hoof.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I like Mini's as well! Like the others said the newer ones with the heavier barrels tend to be more accurate. I had an older (early 90's vintage) that was very accurate for the first 3 shots then it would gradually start to open up groups as it warmed up. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

My 1st LE issue carbine was a Mini 14 w a 20 rnd mag + 6 extra mags in the trunk. I could hit a paper plate e/time @ 100 yards with iron sights & little effort.
    Fat chance I'd ever try a 100 yard shot on-duty, so I was super happy with it.
    I got VERY fond of it over near 20 years and was unhappy when they switched us to ARs. I was one of the last converts to the AR's superiority for patrol... even though we were restricted to 20 rnd mags. The reflex sight made it a 300 yard shooter, but still knew I would never exceed a 75 yard shot.

Never stopped loving the Mini 14, though. I wish I could justify a need for one.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    The new ones are much better than the older models, especially with a barrel strut. I don't know why Ruger just doesn't make that a factory option.
    OH NO!!!! Ruger's turned the Fudd gun into an Evil Black Urban Assault Rifle!

And I love it...
    IsaiahM33 likes this.

We have these at work and they are great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Links