Lets talk about the 6.5s

Lets talk about the 6.5s

This is a discussion on Lets talk about the 6.5s within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Relating to my real world shooting thread, we've talked about my .308 being a hunting gun. I've just window shopped Buds and gun broker for ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 3 Post By mprp
  • 4 Post By glockman10mm
  • 2 Post By mcp1810
  • 2 Post By keboostman
  • 2 Post By Recon1342

Thread: Lets talk about the 6.5s

VIP Member

Lets talk about the 6.5s

Relating to my real world shooting thread, we've talked about my .308 being a hunting gun.

I've just window shopped Buds and gun broker for Savage's rifle line. There aren't any left handed tactical/target .308 rifles out there right now. I'm not ready to buy one and IF I were I'm sure I could hunt one down but I did come across something I find interesting.....

Savage 110 PRED HNTR 6.5X284 Lefthand MAX1 $689.00 SHIPS FREE

Tell me what you long distance shooters think about the 6.5X284? What about a 6.5 Creedmoor? Any other affordable ideas for a lefty?

http://www.impactguns.com/savage-mod...356196330.aspx

I'm looking for a medium sized gun so i'm not interested in a 338 lapua or 300 ultra mag sized platform.
    Aceoky likes this.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    What about a .243 rebarreled to .308? I'm not into the .243, I just don't like it. I do like this Savage platform though, it's just about the exact size and weight I'm looking for. What does a high quality barrel cost?

Savage 10 PRED HNTR 243 Lefthand MAX1 $745.00 SHIPS FREE
    Recon1342 likes this.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

I'm hoping to see a reply in here from HotGuns regarding that 6.5.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The only 6.5 I know anything about is the Swede, and I'm not real knowledgable about that.

But a 308 doesn't do it for me at all, unless it's in a light short action like the model 7.
    I feel like I'm being short changed unless it's a 3006 in a full size rifle.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The only 6.5 I know anything about is the Swede, and I'm not real knowledgable about that.

But a 308 doesn't do it for me at all, unless it's in a light short action like the model 7.
    I feel like I'm being short changed unless it's a 3006 in a full size rifle.
    I have plenty of nice, compact and light hunting rifles. My favorite (lightweight rifle) being a Browning A Bolt micro hunter in 7mm-08.

This thread is about tactical/target rifles, heavier and longer than a model 7.

honestly I am a bit underwhelmed by the 6.5 x284.
    do you specifically want to stay at 6.5, or would you go to .270 or even .280?
    There are so many competing cartridges in that "class"
    I would get a "claw" style gun like a Win pre-64...
    257 weatherby
    270 win.
    260 win
    264 win mag
    6.5x55
    6.5x54

"There are no real powerhouses in 6.5mm. The .264 Win Mag is one of the most powerful, but in terms of real world performance, it is only a hair above .270 Win. The real advantage of 6.5mm is the bullets. The 140 and 160 grain bullets have incredible sectional densities as compared to other bullets in different calibers. These can be driven at 2500-3000 fps in some of the better 6.5s (like .264 or 6.5x55), which gives them penetration and expansion far out of proportion to their size. With significantly lower recoil than many of the .30-06 class rounds. Even at lower velocities, these long, skinny bullets have proved to be very efficient game getters for well over a century.

One of the most popular big game rounds in Europe and Africa for over 50 years was the 6.5x54, and it's rimmed counterpart the 6.5x53R. It fired a 160 grain bullet at 2400-2500 fps. While that doesn't sound all that impressive by today's standards, it was hugely popular for ivory hunters taking out big bull elephants with head shots. It was (and still is) an excellent rifle for deer and black bear here in the US. I have used both of them to great effect on tough Texas hogs.

If you aren't interested in obscure 6.5 rounds, look at either the 6.5x55 or it's modern ballistic twin, the .260 Remington. Both are great rounds with lots of knock down power and mild manners. I took my first buck with a sporterized 6.5 Swedish mauser. One shot, and he went less than 30 yards. I used a 140 grain spitzer, and it took off the top of the heart and burst both lungs like balloons. If I was only allowed to have one rifle to hunt with, I could be perfectly happy with either of those for anything except the really big bears. I would use them on bears too, but I would prefer a little extra power if I were going up against something that could eat me."

not my words ^^^
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Midway has some Shilen barrels for $319 and $369 and other makes as low as $127. Some not in stock. Have not looked at Brownells.
    atctimmy and Aceoky like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

How about a 25-06?
    ETXhiker and DingBat like this.

VIP Member
    I'm looking for a dedicated target rifle in a medium heavy contour barrel. What I'd really like is a .308 because I'm well set up in that caliber.....but being a lefty I can only go with what I see on the shelf. What I see on the shelf in the right sized gun is the 6.5s. I'd like to know about them.

well, sorry then. I'm too old school I guess for those. though, technically, any of the 6.5's, 260's, 264's, or 270's are all gonna be 6.5...

if it's a dedicated target rig does it HAVE to be a bolt rifle? Ruger No. 1 comes to mind as a lefty-friendly...

heck, buy yourself a Thomson Contender rifle and then you can swap out barrels to change calibers all day long until you settle on what you like..? even if you hate the gun use it as test platform to find your darling cartridge, then sell it and buy whatever in the cartridge you like. buying contender barrels will be a LOT cheaper than new rifles or new custom barrels for bolt rifles....

I mean, it is pretty much the king of interchanging calibers....

" The Encore also uses a considerably larger and stronger frame than the Contender, and accordingly, is found in over 86 cartridges - ranging from .22 Hornet to the huge .416 Rigby.There has even been one pistol length stainless barrel made in .600 Nitro Express"
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Barrel life is drastically lower in the 6.5x284 compared to the .308, with some bench rest shooters rebarreling in as little as 700 rounds. I'd hunt around for a lefty .308 if you plan on shooting a lot. Good article on the 6.5 here- 6.5-284 Cartridge Guide
    atctimmy and Aceoky like this.
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links