Any new experiences with the Mossberg Night Train 2 rifle?

This is a discussion on Any new experiences with the Mossberg Night Train 2 rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm looking at this interesting piece someone has for sale - The Mossberg Night Train 2 with Barska scope and bi-pod. Here are the ...

Thread: Any new experiences with the Mossberg Night Train 2 rifle?

Any new experiences with the Mossberg Night Train 2 rifle?

So I'm looking at this interesting piece someone has for sale - The Mossberg Night Train 2 with Barska scope and bi-pod.

Here are the specs I have:

MOS ATR NIGHT TRAIN2 308 22" BL/SY

Cost: $799

ATR ® NIGHT TRAIN ™ 2 • .308 Winchester• 4+1 capacity• 22 " fluted barrel• Black synthetic stock• Bolt-action• Creep-free Lightning Bolt Action ™ (LBA ™ ) Trigger System• Free-floating, button-rifled barrel• Barska 6-24x50mm variable scope w/multicoated optics, variable brightness illuminated crosshair reticle, 5'' sunshade & flip-open lens protectors• Picatinny rail• Muzzle break• Harris ® adjustable bipod• Neoprene comb raising kit w/foam cheek pad inserts• Top load magazine• Matte blue finish• Wt.: 9.5 lbs.• OAL: 42''• Fully factory assembled• 2-Year Limited Warranty• Includes: gun lock

So no sling or case. Scope seems to have good reviews to a degree, for a cheaper scope anyway (the thing is huge).

If I were really looking for a 7.62, frankly I'd rather have a larger mag, but that is minor. What do you think of this for the price?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    hmm. no personal experience here, just day dreaming basically...
    but, Mossberg, who isn't exactly a noted Rifle manufacturer.. throws together a push feed style bolt rifle with what I can see is a much smaller extractor than an M700.
    It looks stripped down and simplified compared to it's Remington counter-part....
    The scope... I'm not... to easy....
    I see on "predatormasters" sme guy had his bolt come apart, which showed that it's simply a knurled part pressed together? and that's supposed to hold the firing spring pin indefinitely? not good design right there...

don't get me wrong, I like Mossy and my 590 has been my fav shotgun for years... but when I add everything up I am seeing about this gun...
    the last nail being it's stupid name...
    not for this cat.... I guess if the price is right for a plinker... but I wouldn't trust it for the "big hunt" and a dang sure wouldn't trust it with my or my families life....
    spend a little more and get used Remmy if you want a push feed, or a used Win Model 70 pre-64 for a Claw style....
    OR a Ruger American, or, or, or....

wow- and for $800 bones I would DEFINATELY get something better....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    For $800 it is a full blown rip off. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Also, Barska scopes are bottom feeders.

If you are looking for a long range rifle on a budget I suggest a Savage model 10.

Savage 4 + 1 308 Win. Law Enforcement/24" Heavy Fluted Barre $711.00 SHIPS FREE

^^^^^ This rifle is the real deal. You can get a WAY better scope than a Barska for not too much $$$$.

The "Nighttrain" is all fluff.

Or with a standard profile barrel and a nice Nikon scope...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...H+XP+308+NIKON

or shiny...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...8+110%22+TWIST
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Good stuff, thanks guys.

Links