DIY - AR Fixed Backup Irons/Carry Handle Chop

This is a discussion on DIY - AR Fixed Backup Irons/Carry Handle Chop within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I searched around some to see if the carry handle chop had been posted to Defensive Carry before. Didn't find any mention of it after ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 8 Post By sparkykb
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By Norm66
  • 2 Post By sparkykb
  • 2 Post By Bad Bob
  • 3 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By pittypat21
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By 5lima30ret

Thread: DIY - AR Fixed Backup Irons/Carry Handle Chop

I searched around some to see if the carry handle chop had been posted to Defensive Carry before. Didn't find any mention of it after a cursory search so I figured I'd start a thread about it. This modification is fairly well known and has been done for YEARS but I have never done it until yesterday. Thought I'd share the process I used in case anyone else could make use of the info.

First, a little back story on why I found myself in need of a good fixed rear iron sight for as cheap as possible.

My first AR was a CMMG I bought in 2007 or so. It's pretty much just a back up rifle now so I stripped most of the aftermarket stuff off of it for use on my newer rifles. The rear sight it had was a folder from Midwest Industries. Good sight but as it would now be the primary sighting system for this carbine I wanted something that was fixed.

Not wanting to spend any money, I dug around and found the carry handle that came with it. I wanted to keep the ability to rail mount a red dot and decided to try a carry handle chop as I'd seen done online.

1st step

3 rough cuts. I used a sawsall with an 18 TPI medium metal blade. A hack saw can be used as well. The cuts don't need to be perfect, they will be cleaned up later.

2nd step

Shape up the rough cuts. You'll need to get rid of the sharp edges and I also chose to radius the top corners. I used a bench grinder but a dremel would also work for this part. I used a hand file for a couple of small areas. 150 grit sandpaper around my finger got rid of any roughness and made it all look consistent.

3rd step

Add some sort of finish to the raw silver areas. I just used krylon but then again mine is just going on a beater/trunk gun. I've heard aluminum black or grill paint work well if you're going for a factory black look.

That's it. I do plan on getting rid of the big thumb screw at some point and replacing it with something smaller but that's for a different day.

Whole thing took less than 15 minutes of work from start to finish and turned a spare carry handle into something LMT sells for $120.

Last edited by sparkykb; April 29th, 2014 at 08:47 PM.

Administrator
    That will work.
    sparkykb and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Pretty cool. Looks good.
    sparkykb likes this.

Thanks!

Thought I'd post a couple more pictures showing the key advantage of the chop over a plain carry handle to me. The chopped rear works perfectly with a red dot sight if I ever get a spare to throw on this gun.

I'm sure someone out there was wondering why a person would chop a carry handle instead of just using it as is.

Bad Bob and Aceoky like this.

Nice job.
    sparkykb and Aceoky like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    I was shaking my head before I opened this thread. Now I'm nodding my head yes. That project turned out pretty dang nice.
    sparkykb, Aceoky and 5lima30ret like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Nice! Carry handles are cheap. Steel rear-sights aren't. Genius idea.
    sparkykb likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I was shaking my head before I opened this thread. Now I'm nodding my head yes. That project turned out pretty dang nice.
    Exactly the same for me too. I was chuckling to myself thinking up all sort of snarky things to say... but I stopped as soon as I looked at what you did. Doesn't look bad at all. Pretty cool if you ask me.

One question though, why was cut 1 needed?
    sparkykb likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I like low buck mods that turn out well!
    sparkykb likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Doesn't look bad at all. Pretty cool if you ask me.

One question though, why was cut 1 needed?
    Thanks!

Cut 1 wasn't really needed but completely removing that chunk from the top of the carry handle made cut 3 easier. Better access to it with the sawsall. I'm sure doing it in 2 cuts is entirely possible.

The order/number of cuts is completely up to the person holding the tool, I just labeled them in the order I made them.

Sponsored Links